Sansui 8080 too noisy for my hd650
Mar 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PoliHigh

New Head-Fier

I am currently using this setup for my headphone listening. I listen to mostly Vinyl on my RP1 with my Ortofon Blue. I had just moved to Vancouver from Montreal and needed a cheap deal because funds are low. So I found this restored 8080 for $150 at a used audio shop (the FM radio could not be fixed though for some reason that is why the price was cheap). I previously owned a Sansui 661 which was a lot quieter with much less background noise. I find the 8080 maybe because of its high 1970's watt output it is a bit noisier then the Sansui 661. I am on a slightly low budget until I can find a permanent set up and I am wondering what vintage intergrated amplifiers had a renowned quiet and enjoyable headphone listening experience. I like the warmth of these old sansui recievers. I was thinking something along the lines of a later 70's early 80's Luxman might be more suitable for me. The 8080's size makes it a bit of an issue with my girlfriend and also does not fit in my cabinet which is also a pain. I need something that can drive my speakers as well. The Sansui's noise is not nearly as noticable with the speakers I am using right now.

Here is a picture of my setup and as you can see the 8080 is a little big and I don't really need that much power in an apartment.

This system was thrown together quickly on a low budget so it is very mix matched.( hoping to match some things up nicely down the road)

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 3
It might not be 8080s in general, but just that specific one is noisy. It is quite old after all, who knows what could be going on inside? I have the same problem with my G-5700, though thankfully it's not as much of an issue with the low sensitivity HE-300s + impedance adapter. Would still be nice to get it fixed though.

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 3
Can you suggest an integrated that is a bit smaller,quieter and a bit under a 100 watts. anyone else have an opinion?

Yamaha a-760 seems like a good option and are easy to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back