Sansa clip replacement?
Apr 11, 2016 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

m0b1liz3

100+ Head-Fier
So I have had a few clips.  I recently had my Clip and yamaha EPH100s stolen.  I was reading that the newer clips use cheaper components that don't sound as good as the last generation. 

Because I use portable audio 80% of the time in the gym, 15% traveling and 5% random, I need a relatively portable player.  The clip was perfect for the gym.  I still have one old one but it was a really old version and the actual clip broke (Sansa apparently does not have any replacements).  I have been using the clip and el cheapo headphones in the gym but the sound lacks big time.

Any suggestions for something small and portable enough for the gym but with an SD card or >32GB memory? 

Apr 11, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 7
Take SanDisk Jam. I like it more than any Clips. Dunno why, but some very small things changed against old ones and the newest model just good overall. I suppose it is not made from the cheaper parts, -+ the same. It is impossible to make a huge jump in this price point and size. 
Also take a look on Xduoo X2 and Fiio M3, small players with good amps inside, lot of people prefers them to SanDisks because of more powerful sound nowadays.

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 7
  Take SanDisk Jam. I like it more than any Clips. Dunno why, but some very small things changed against old ones and the newest model just good overall. I suppose it is not made from the cheaper parts, -+ the same. It is impossible to make a huge jump in this price point and size. 
Also take a look on Xduoo X2 and Fiio M3, small players with good amps inside, lot of people prefers them to SanDisks because of more powerful sound nowadays.

Does that mean you don't play flac?.  I thought the Jam was severely limited in terms of file formats compared to the earlier versions.  And also can not run RockBox. 

Thanks for those suggestions.  I could probably live with a player that is up to double the size of the clip.  It would be good if it had some sort of accessory case that had a clip on it...

Was just reading the the M3 uses a similar chip to the Clip Jam.

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 7
Clip+ and install rockbox,it will play 20 different codecs and sound good too.

Yeah, I am thinking your are probably right about the tried and true (might get another Clip +).  However, I am also currently reading good things about the XDuoo X3 with rockbox.  It's still relatively small but not sure it is gym small.

Apr 11, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 7
Hmm, not sure I could live completely without a screen.  For gym only use it would be ok since you would just have one or 2 big playlists.  But other times I would miss having a screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back