Sansa Clip questions
Jun 23, 2009 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Technex

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

At first I didn't like the look of the Sansa clip at all, then I kept hearing about the sound quality and how it's meant to be one of the best sounding players.

This got me very interested in it. It's funny how the player it's self and it's screen doesn't look very nice (in my own opinion) but it can still sound so good, kind of like a surprise. I guess this is why the price is low.

I'm looking at getting the 8GB version. I hear there is a new version (v2) of this player how would I know I am getting a V2?

Does this player play FLAC files? I keep hearing that it doesn't and that it does... Just want to know for sure before buying.

Thanks,

Laurence

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 18
The clip is cheap because they're cheap to make and sansa doesn't have a god-like cult of personality that allows them to double the price just for the glow of it.

Yes it plays FLAC if you update to recent firmware. Sandisk doesn't admit this anywhere in print, but it works anyway.

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone,

At first I didn't like the look of the Sansa clip at all, then I kept hearing about the sound quality and how it's meant to be one of the best sounding players.

This got me very interested in it. It's funny how the player it's self and it's screen doesn't look very nice (in my own opinion) but it can still sound so good, kind of like a surprise. I guess this is why the price is low.

I'm looking at getting the 8GB version. I hear there is a new version (v2) of this player how would I know I am getting a V2?

Does this player play FLAC files? I keep hearing that it doesn't and that it does... Just want to know for sure before buying.

Thanks,

Laurence

It does in fact play Flac, as stated on the sansa website.
Quote:

Capacity:

1GB • 2GB • 4GB
Colors:

Black, Pink, Red, Blue, Silver
Battery:

15 hours of playback
Headphone Jacks:

Speaker:

N/A
Radio:

FM tuner/20 presets
Recorder:

Built-in microphone
Music Subscriptions:

Most Music Subscriptions
Internet Radio:

N/A
Audio Books:

Audible Ready
File Support:

MP3, OGG, FLAC, secure WMA & Audible files

tech specs | Sansa

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 18
Have not heard of a V2. I got myself an 8GB; updated firmware; loaded with FLAC files....prefer it over my previous iPod Nano.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 18
Jun 23, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 18
As for clip v2, sansa started using a new version of their SoC back in december - if you're not worrying about putting rockbox on it, it probably makes no difference.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 18
If I am not mistaken, the V2 can be recognized by the packaging, which is reddish pink, as opposed to the more traditional sandisk packaging on the v1 clip, so you can tell what you've got before opening the package.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 18
Is there any way to tell if one has v1 or v2 from the model number or hardware (outside, I am not opening it up)?

Thanks,
Nkk

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any way to tell if one has v1 or v2 from the model number or hardware (outside, I am not opening it up)?

Sure, that's easy. The old one (v1) has the sandisk logo under the clip. The new one (v2) has the sansa logo (flower-y thing).

Sansa Clip v.1:

SansaClipBackSideonWhite.jpg

Sansa Clip v.2:

clipv2logonm1.jpg

Sorry, 56k lose... erm... users. Too lazy to resize pics.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I am not mistaken, the V2 can be recognized by the packaging, which is reddish pink, as opposed to the more traditional sandisk packaging on the v1 clip, so you can tell what you've got before opening the package.

My Version 2 8gig came in a drab looking blue and dark blue square box. So far as I know, all 8gbs are version 2.

I find no practical difference between the V1 and the V2 except that the rockbox build for the V1 is further along than for V2 (neither is ready for prime time yet).

I believe someone reported a difference in battery life on the Sansa forum, but I don't remember which was longer.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Version 2 8gig came in a drab looking blue and dark blue square box. So far as I know, all 8gbs are version 2.

I find no practical difference between the V1 and the V2 except that the rockbox build for the V1 is further along than for V2 (neither is ready for prime time yet).

I believe someone reported a difference in battery life on the Sansa forum, but I don't remember which was longer.

Yes, there are no performance differences between the two players that I am aware off.

I guess the packaging thing does not apply to 8gb players. I own/have bought several 1 and 2-gb clips and the packaging differs on those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fuze and E280 soon to join it, leaving us with the View - what the hell are Sandisk thinking ?

Sandisk can't possibly be dumb enough to hang the sansa line's future on their buggiest player, can they?

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Sandisk can't possibly be dumb enough to hang the sansa line's future on their buggiest player, can they?

They seem to have little or no marketing to the non-Asian general public. Maybe its just easier to sell container loads of consumables into channels like Wal-Mart and OfficeWorks than try to compete with a brand like the iPod. Even Sony dont run the ads they once did when the Walkman was *the* portable player - its almost as though the non-Apple brands have surrendered.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They seem to have little or no marketing to the non-Asian general public. Maybe its just easier to sell container loads of consumables into channels like Wal-Mart and OfficeWorks than try to compete with a brand like the iPod. Even Sony dont run the ads they once did when the Walkman was *the* portable player - its almost as though the non-Apple brands have surrendered.

Believe it or not they dont market to the asian general public either. I am still relieved every time I walk into a retail store and see the little sansas still proudly on display next to the ipods, sometimes even with people looking at them. The local best buy even has a Sansa View on display with the Monster Beats, right next to the iTouch. For now.

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Sure, that's easy. The old one (v1) has the sandisk logo under the clip. The new one (v2) has the sansa logo (flower-y thing).

Sorry, 56k lose... erm... users. Too lazy to resize pics.

Yes, but, Sandisk has been really bad about not caring what version hardware goes in what version enclosure or packaging. You can't trust those cues 100%. They may be a good sign, but you have to turn it on and look at the firmware version to be sure.

I can tell you for certain that v1 and v2 fuze boards are interchangable in their cases, and so are e200 and c200 models. I would be surprised if the clipv2 board doesn't fit in a clipv1 housing.

The C200 and E200 both eventually came with "v2" badges on the back clearly marked, but there are many reports of e200v2 boards in v1 housings, and many reports of e200v1 boards in e200v2 housings.

The c200 not so much, because they're so flipping rare. I found a c250v2 - in v1 casing fwiw - and mailed it to the guy who's now adding c200v2 support to rockbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back