Sangean DT-210V radio/improvements
Apr 7, 2005 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

D555

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

The Sangean DT-210V is my current favorite of AM/FM portable radios. I think it combines good sound with good reception qualities. The headphone amp has vanishingly low background hiss. The headphone output is strong and the bass boost is quite powerful. Heaphone output caps are already 220uf.

My complaint with the DT-210V sound is that the highs are rolled off. After investigating the board (no schematic or service manual), it turns out that the deemphasis capacitors at the FM outputs is 10,000pf -- yikes -- this value accounts for the muffled highs. Why so much capacitance? I suspect it may have something to do with the built-in speaker. More later.

The first attempt was to use 1800pf capacitors. Seemed like a good choice. But, this attempt was unsatisfactory. The highs certainly returned: it was like a denist drill boring into the brain and the sound was distorted. Way too much of a good thing. On the right path but not there yet.

The second attempt was much better: used 4700pf. This resulted in a sound through headphones that compares favorably with the Sony ICF-SW7600GR -- a excellent sounding radio, in my opinion. Solid sparkling highs, the distortion went away.

The sound from the speaker also reflects this new opening up of the frequncies. The sound definitely favors the high notes and is less balanced. However, I don't use the speaker, so the change is of no matter.

Also tweaked the AM alignment a bit: RF and IF coils, and trim capacitor. AM reception is quite good and picks up a number of low power stations in the area.

So at this time in AM/FM portables the Sangean DT-210V is still my choice and it has just become a bit better.

Best regards,

Paul

Apr 7, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by D555
My complaint with the DT-210V sound is that the highs are rolled off.

If I may ask, what headphones were you using when you made this determination? I've used my DT-210V with V6s and PX100s. With the V6s it sounds uncomfortably bright to me, but the darkness of the PX100s mostly counteracts that. Is it possible you were using a headphone with an even more muted high end than the PX100s?

P.S. -- I never use its bass boost. Do you?

Apr 7, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 3
Tempus,

I've used a variety of headphone, earplugs: Senn. PX100, Sony EX71SL, Sony EX70, Koss Titanium, Sony V6 etc. and also compared to a home stereo with Stax SR-404 (reality check). The PX100 is typically used for portable listening.

In comparison with many other portable radios and the home unit (with the PX100 also) the stock DT-210V sounded somewhat muffled with rolled off high frequencies -- not horribly so, but still rather obvious to me. Regardless of the phones used, this impression with the radio was a consistent result. After the modification, the highs are now comparible to the Sony '7600 portable, though the Sony still gets my nod for balanced, better sound but the differences are now not so obvious. None of these really compare with the Stax/home unit which trounces them all for distortion, clarity, and just sounding "right". I can understand the results with the V6. To me, the V6's to me have a deep low end, somewhat grating highs and a depressed midrange -- the kind of phones that make some go "WOW!" but when one hears truly better phones its shortcommings become obvious.

I sometimes use DT-210V bass boost for fun -- depends upon the song. I think it works better than some other bass enhancement circuits, but the midrange bass is still affected too much for truly satisfying long-term listening.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back