San Jose, CA - Super Mini Meet?
Oct 18, 2014 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

jjcha

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thinking of hosting a super-mini meet to compare thoughts on a few things.  Will be very informal.

I have the Geek Out 450 and Meridian Explorer.  Comparing the two, I generally concur with impressions on the Explorer being a smoother sound.  I'm kind of surprised as to which I prefer.

Also just got in the Sony MDR-1A, which I'm comparing to the 1R mk 2.  Also got a Sennheiser Momentum, tempted to pick up a B&W P7 or audio-technica ATH-M50 to compare the mid-range, higher-end consumer portable closed headphones.

I can wrangle a place in Santa Clara, I'd probably want to limit it to call it 3 - 5 people, tops if other people are interested.

@Bill-P, might be interesting to check out your Z7 and modded W1000 (a headphone I've never really liked) against the W10VTG as well.

Anyhow, post here or PM me if interested.

-Jason

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 66
@jjcha, I'm free any time during weekends, so please let me know whenever this will happen.

I fixed the car (seems like a sensor stopped functioning), so I'll have transportation. Finally!

Unfortunately, I don't have the W1000 anymore, so I guess you'll miss out on it after all. But I do have the ES10, which I think is going to be the more interesting headphone for you to check out. It sounds nothing like the stock headphone, and I consider it to be the better headphone than the W1000.

And of course I'll have the Z7 and HE-560, but I think you'll be more interested in the Z7. I should have it next week or so.

The HE-560... I may probably end up having to mod it after all. But I think it has the potential to be a very good headphone, so... I'll see how it turns out.

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 66
I'm in as well! Thanks for hosting and organizing this. Maybe I propose the 1st of November? I'll bring all my cans. Got a DT880 600Ohm now with the Fostex HP-P1 Portable DAC/Amp for everyone to try on top of what I brought last time.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 66
Hello fellow Bay Area audiophiles, I'm Levi in San Jose and I would really enjoy to be part of this head-fi meeting.

I've been into collecting/studying/trying hi-end headphones since about 2007. The driving force in my quest for sonic perfection comes not only from my love of listening to music, but also to use with my unyielding passion for creating music - I'm an aspiring electronica music artist (focusing on pushing the envelope with experimental works), yet starting out as an 'underground' sound effects artist.

For the time being, I have only the following that I can bring to share:
* Beyerdynamic DT-1350 (mini-tesla on-near closed portables)
* Shure SRH 940              (closed dynamic cans)
* SoundMagic HP-100      (closed dynamic cans with 52mm drivers that beg their first try at a more powerful amp)
* (If you want) Modi+Magni amp & old partially blown DT-880 32 ohms

* iPod earbuds & Beats mini-cans (LOL!, joking...  I'm not that much of a newbie)

For my preferences on the date, I would really prefer this Friday Oct. 31st  (Haloween by chance), since Friday is about my only day off from work, or if it's impossible I could consider taking a day off on Sat. Nov. 1st.

This would be my first headphone meeting yet and I would love to hear all the gear everybody had mentioned (maybe I can change my mind about Sony being audiophile grade), and ATH's, Hifiman, etc. So I would really hope that we can do this for at least 90 min. +  .. thanks!! (please confirm)

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 66
 Been meaning to try and attend a meet to see how I currently compare in the hobby and if I'm doing it right. It'd be the first for me as well. Is there a date in mind already?

Can bring - 

HEADPHONES:
- Grado SR60s
- Audio Technica ATH-A900X
- Yuin PK2 Earbuds

AMPS:
- Little Dot MK.II w/ Voshkod 6AK5/6J1/EF95 Drivers Tubes and Stock Chinese 6N6 Power Tubes
- Bravo V2 w/ Westinghouse Long Black

Would just need a source to get into. 

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 66
Cool, thanks for the interest guys.  Busy at the moment dealing with other random stuff, so haven't been focused on the mini meet, but thinking maybe Saturday November 1st.  I'll PM folk once things are a little more decided!

-Jason

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 66
I'm in san jose

I am a moderate hi fi enthusiast but would still like to meet like-minded nerds.

My inventory is moderate but if anyone wants a listen, it consists of:
* HD 558
* SR 225i (the latest version)
* HD 25-1 ii
* portal pro (I can give these away if anyone wants them)
* HF5
* Sandisk clip mini
* Walkman z1060

It looks like someone's gonna host, which is great. Let us know if I'd like us to bring something.

If anyone would like to meet just for a beer sometime in downtown san jose or downtown campbell, lmk.

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 66
I would love to be able to attend. I'm up the peninsula in Pacifica. But it would be incredible for me as a newbie to see and learn so much from others who share the same passion.

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 66
Hello, I'm not the group leader but I hope he still has space for you :D ! Santa Clara is only about 1 hour driving, or a bit longer by public transit from Pacifica according to the map anywho.

WOuld you 'do us a solid' and let us know about which headphones and / or amps you would be bringing, if any?

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 66
I'm trying to see if I can make the 1st available for me from work. Is there a idea in terms of when things will be kicking off?

Quote: GoldenState
 I would love to be able to attend. I'm up the peninsula in Pacifica. But it would be incredible for me as a newbie to see and learn so much from others who share the same passion.

Same here, I'm more or less interesting in comparing what I have to everyone elses, and see what I can improve (hardware/software/headphones) and other things. 

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 66
Hello, I'm not the group leader but I hope he still has space for you
biggrin.gif
! Santa Clara is only about 1 hour driving, or a bit longer by public transit from Pacifica according to the map anywho.

WOuld you 'do us a solid' and let us know about which headphones and / or amps you would be bringing, if any?

Definitely, I'm just getting my feet wet. I have a modded pair of Fostex TR50P and a standalone O2DAC and O2 Amp. My Samsung Note 3 most likely won't be the only digital player (portable) that end up using, so I'll be keen on learning what other options are out there.

On a completely separate and odd note. Does this forum somehow link activity here over to Facebook automatically? I was sitting on the couch just 20 minutes ago and my fiancee asked me why I didn't go to this event, and why didn't I invite her? It didn't show up on my phone yet, but it sure popped up on hers. It said that it was scheduled for today though, and that I had attended. 

I get nervous with the ever changing privacy control of Facebook. I only say it here in case someone else notices it.

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #14 of 66
For Mr. GoldenGate:

You're awesome man, that T50 RP will be a 'total dope' addition to the show! I'm sure you will have a rare opportunity to learn some deep insights into the world of audiophile-ism at this meeting next Saturday, especially with the likes of Bill-P. He's an enginering student with scientific level knowledge on audiophile related topix.

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #15 of 66
This upcoming headphone meet has me so stoked I requested a day off work for it and lost some sleep last night in anticipation. So here's the list, (from what I gather) of 'phones we will be having at the meet:

Hifiman HE-560, modded, with home-built amp
Beyer. DT880 600 Ohm
Beyer. DT-1350
Shure SRH 940
SoundMagic HP-100
Grado SR60
Grado SR 225i (the latest version)
Audio Technica ATH-A900X
Yuin PK2 Earbuds
Etymotic HF5 earbuds
Senn. HD 558
Senn. HD 25-1 ii
Koss portal pro
Fostex TR50P
+ several amps

+ Jason (group leader), please tell us::

• would you please share your Sennheiser HD555, Sony Q010-MDR1, ATH-ES7, Stax SRX-Mk3, JH Audio JH13 Pro, B&W P5 for us to try out?
  • would you please let us know if there will be enough space for a few of us to bring our own laptop + amp setup?
  • and once we get closer to next Saturday, please confirm the time, and address (may be best to send that privately).
Hopefully we can share the cost of pizza, etc. too. Lookin' forward to it, everybody plan ahead so we can all make it! :k701smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back