San Jose, CA Local Head-Fi Meet - January 30th at Alum Rock Library Event Room
Dec 16, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #32 of 237
Huh... I'll be in town for this (I think).

Justin still has my Blue Hawaii, but I could bring my SR-007 MKI since there'll be other electrostat amps there.  Any interest?

I could also bring my source, an eXemplar eXpo T105D and my pre-amp, an eXemplar eXception SE-Line if there's interest.... 

Again, no amp though (unless Justin appears w/ it in the next 5 weeks)

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #33 of 237
I'm sure many of us would love to hear the Blue Hawaii tube amp, if you're able anyway.

I would also very much like to try your SR-007. Somebody else is bringing an SR-009 so we will get to compare the two! 
gs1000.gif
 I have a compatible electrostat amp, so no need to bring one for it. There will be lots of amps and I have a preamp, so not sure if the eXemplar eXception would be needed. See you there

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #34 of 237
Hey DecentLevi,

Thanks for organizing this event. I think (80% chance) I will be able to attend in the late afternoon. The only things I can offer to bring already seem to be on the list: DT 880 Pro (250 ohm), Mad Dogs 3.2.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #35 of 237
No problem if you want to come just for the experience - especially if you're coming late then it's easier not to set up anything.

Also for anybody who's thinking of coming but doesn't want their username or gear listed: just send me a PM if you want to come 'anonymously'. Or you can just show up, but it's better to know so I can plan the capacity

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #36 of 237
So yes on the cans, yes on the amp if possible, maybe on the pre, and no on the source?

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #37 of 237
Oh yes it's definitely good to bring your own music source. It's actually not customary to sort through the list of gear to be brought to a meet - however in this case we only have 25 outlets so I'm trying to help filter the list a bit to avoid the likes of redundancies. Also the main reason I said we all need to bring our own power strip

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #39 of 237
I've got a strip and plenty of cords.

I just figured a reference source would be pretty desired at a meet and you didn't seem to express much interest.

It's a PITA to bring because of the outboard power supply for the tube stage, and it needs to connect to a wifi if you want to be able to use the smartphone app to navigate the media library on a usb, so I'm happy to leave it at home if nobody's going to miss it.

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #40 of 237
  Gah, every time there is a meet I'm on night shift!!!!! I think it's on purpose...

Oh man, maybe you can still re-schedule, at least for a half day off. I requested a whole week off earlier this year for CanJam near L.A. and don't regret it at all.

Looks like we may not have an Alpha Dog headphone then - if anyone else wants to bring theirs.

I just got my Liquid Carbon, and somebody is helping me make a balanced headphone cable for it.

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #41 of 237
  Oh man, maybe you can still re-schedule, at least for a half day off. I requested a whole week off earlier this year for CanJam near L.A. and don't regret it at all.

Looks like we may not have an Alpha Dog headphone then - if anyone else wants to bring theirs.

I just got my Liquid Carbon, and somebody is helping me make a balanced headphone cable for it.

Bah, can't. I run a control room and we are required by federal law to be staffed. I'm a shift worker and the shift before me depends on me relieving them. It's a hassle to get any time off. Night shift and overtime = $$$

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #42 of 237
Hi Everyone,

I'm exploring options for a moderately priced, comfortable, closed-back headphone with good isolation to pair with my Chord Mojo. A neutral sound signature would be deal, but not absolutely required. Slight bass emphasis (solid, not bloated) is welcomed. Neutral to slightly warm mids, and detailed but not strident highs are a plus.

I'd love to compare my new beyerdynamic DT 1770 against the Shure SRH1540. If anyone can bring a pair of SRH1540 to the meet, please let me know.  I'm also open to exploring other options besides the Shures as well. Send me a PM, if you can recommend other headphones you've heard. I look forward to seeing everyone at the meet. Thanks!

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #43 of 237
So your 1770's don't do the Mojo well? I've tried the 1540 and can give you a by-memory comparison between it and a few others after I try them at the meet. But per your question, Fostex TH-900 sounds like a superb match for what you seek (modded though)

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #45 of 237
  So your 1770's don't do the Mojo well? I've tried the 1540 and can give you a by-memory comparison between it and a few others after I try them at the meet. But per your question, Fostex TH-900 sounds like a superb match for what you seek (modded though)

On the contrary, I think Mojo/DT 1770 pair very well. The Mojo is a very good portable DAC that drives the DT 1770 (and others) well. However, while I like the overall sound of the DT 1770 with most music, its bass emphasis, over time, can be too overwhelming with some genres of music like EDM, or heavily synth'ed movie soundtracks. 

Having said that, I think this is a problem that can be easily corrected with a bit of EQ.  So while I still find the DT 1770 enjoyable, I consider this my first serious closed-back.  Now that I have a baseline, I'd like to explore other closed-back options in the same price range to see if there are others that might be an even better fit for my personal preferences.

Ether-C !   Hope to have a pair before the meet.....

I'd love hear them at the meet (crossing my fingers). But for various reasons, they're above my price range for a portable solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back