San Diego - Any interest? I can try to find a decent venue at a low price. I KNOW there are lots of Head Fi-ers from San Diego.
May 16, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #63 of 109
Don't think you'd get a good turn out on a week night.  I'd try to make it on Saturday depending on date.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #67 of 109
So I guess nothing ever happened? It's been over a month since the last post.

Well, I am in if one ever happens. I work a lot of Saturdays though. Sundays are better.

The only gear I have right now is an iBasso D7 and Etymotic ER-4S.

In a few weeks I should have a Stax 407 with 323 amp AND a Smyth Realiser...

-Darin

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #68 of 109
I'm still hoping for a local meet but figured I'd get my fix at the upcoming LA one.  But after that, would prefer to drive 15 min vs over 2 hours.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #70 of 109
I think the meet can happen if we can find a place to meet up 
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #71 of 109
I can't make the LA meet, that's why I would love to do a San Diego meet.

I guess it's a little bit of a catch-22 finding a place. I would imagine we need to know how many people would attend before a suitable location can be found. But we won't know how many people until we find a location.

Does anyone have a relationship with any of the local hi-fi stores? I would think they would be into it since it means some added exposure for their store especially if they sell headphones.

I have never been to any of the local hi-fi shops, so I have no sense about how open they are to things like this.

I have read that the San Diego Music and Audio Guild used to meet at local stores. Are they still around?

Otherwise, there are some cheap places to rent meeting rooms like local libraries. I know the Coronado library will let you rent their rooms for free. San Diego libraries charge and even charge a percentage of any tickets or revenue from the event being held. But if we can charge a nominal fee just to cover the rental of the room, that would probably be pretty cheap.

Anyone want to throw out some potential dates so we could get a ball park head count? I don't mind doing the research on finding a place.

-Darin

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #72 of 109
Sounds like the Coronado library might be the best bet.  Then I can get dropped off while family enjoys the beach.

I'm good for end of Aug and beyond.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #74 of 109
Quote:
Pretty much free until school starts which is late September 

So maybe if we can get a turn out for this one while it's still free, we can either do a raffle or a collection of a few bucks a piece to raise money for a San Diego library after.  

Wish I could help more but my time is taken up with new baby and still new to the area.

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #75 of 109
Another thought, although I think it might be hard to find anyone willing, is to do it at someone's home that has a home theater setup. I would be happy to do personalized calibrations on a Smyth Realiser so people could hear how it works. I could even do the measurements with your headphones.

It's best demo'd on a high end 5.1 or 7.1 surround system, but can also be pretty effective with just a 2 channel system.

At a library, this would be hard to pull off unless someone brought a decent 2 channel or 5.1 setup. Not sure how portable a good system can be...

As far as dates go, I work most weekends, but I know for most people the weekends are the only option. I may have a free Sunday in August though. The only possible August weekend days are 8/11 or 8/12. After that, for weekends, I am looking at after Labor Day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back