Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge Sound Quality
Apr 12, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #31 of 228
For comparison, to these ears, the M9 is 'V' shaped, and the iPhone 6 is '~' shaped... Quite annoying that there isn't a one size fits all approach...

I suppose I should be brave enough to run through the adapt sound test to see what happens,

I listened to the M9 in store yesterday using my headphones and I agree that the signature is not too far off from the S6 with more raspy vocals on the M9. Are you turning on Boom sound on the M9?

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #33 of 228
I do believe Spotify is part of the problem. Certainly the equalizer is unstable in Spotify to the point of being unusable. However, Google Play Music works well with the equalizer and all the sound quality issues are significantly improved. I have Adept Sound off, and SoundAlive equalizer is adjusted by going into Google Play Music settings. Songs are 320 Kbps MP3, and the equalizer settings are in the attached picture. Notice the BASS setting is on (blue color). Let me know what you think:

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #34 of 228
Ordered a Moto X 2nd gen 2014. From what I heard it has a flat neutral sound, so I'll be making a comparison to the S6 in a few days. I have decided to return the S6. The sound is rough on my ears, even though I love the rest of the phone. It's a pity, since the phone is pretty much the best you can buy!

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #35 of 228
For what it's worth, I went from a HTC One M7 to the S6 Edge and I have no doubt the S6 has a better DAC.

Doesn't play as loud but I much prefer the S6.

The loudspeaker is much worse than the HTC though that's not really important to us.

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #36 of 228
Spinning around all the phones I have, I'm now convinced that the S6 sound is improved by running through the adapt sound test, and just saying yes to everything...

Can be reversed if not to suiting

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #37 of 228
Spinning around all the phones I have, I'm now convinced that the S6 sound is improved by running through the adapt sound test, and just saying yes to everything...

Can be reversed if not to suiting

Hot damn! The adept thing fixed the ear piercing. Thanks! Although sound is still thin, very raspy, bass not full. Something is missing. Hopefully Google decides to make a Nexus out of the S6 and drop the equalization that Samsung is doing. Either that or maybe just root the phone with a better audio kernel. 

I addition to answering Yes on all Adapt Sound prompts, here's some additional settings for SoundAlive in Google Play Music (Note again that BASS is on). This really adds fullness to the sound:

or withe less bass

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #38 of 228
Hot damn! The adept thing fixed the ear piercing. Thanks! Although sound is still thin, very raspy, bass not full.
Maybe it is a combination of the OTA update I have (925F variant, firmware version ending OCV) and the Adapt Sound, however - for me, I have plenty of bass (arguably too much!) and the treble is calmer, less hot...

Touch wood, assuming you haven't had the same OTA update, Samsung have acknowledged that there are issues, and working to fix them :)

(Re Adapt Sound, strange that when you say 'yes' to everything, the orange 'normal' bar is lower than the green bar, I cannot help but feel that they deliberately screwed up the EQ just for people to actually set up adapt sound, as I've not needed to use it with the previous phones that have had this.)

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #39 of 228
In different news, I have to say that out I really like the curve of the screen on the edge, makes everything seem to go pop out :) strange coincidence that I have a Samsung curved TV also...

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #41 of 228
I'm currently testing the audio of my galaxy s6 edge, I will update my experience shortly. Right off the bat it sounds better than my s4 did. Still not very loud, but I'm using sensitive TTPOD T1E 12ohm iems so output power is not an issue. I have also disabled all SoundAlive/AdaptSound features from the phone. Stay tuned my friends.

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #42 of 228
Where did you read that Samsung acknowledged the issue? The bar looks blue too me, and the orange bar is actually higher on my phone after saying "yes". 

sorry, didn't have the phone to hand at time of posting, and am theorising with sound change on OTA update :)

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #43 of 228
Progress Progress. The sound signature issues are exactly as I thought after doing Adapt Sound again. Samsung is pushing the highs, recessing the mids and upper lows, and pushing more or less the very lows. Adjust Adapt sound to the following and it will get the grittiness out of the sound and vastly improve vocal smoothness, harmonics, and mid bass. This Adapt setting should also result in less lower end bass. (SoundAlive is set to flat)

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #44 of 228
Do you know the 'yes / no' combinations for that? am game to try :)

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #45 of 228
Do you know the 'yes / no' combinations for that? am game to try
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately no. It appears adapt is different each time you use it, so even if I memorized the Yes/Nos you wouldnt get the same result. You'll have to play with it until you get close to what i got. Shouldn't take too long. The sound is soooooo much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back