Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge Sound Quality
Oct 25, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #166 of 228
Sound Alive+ - Off​
Tube Amp - Off
Should I download any software ?
Or adjust the equalizer ? (I have set for bass actually)
Cheers

I am using dbpower app from Google play for playing uncompressed FLAC

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #167 of 228
  Sound Alive+ - Off​
Tube Amp - Off
Should I download any software ?
Or adjust the equalizer ? (I have set for bass actually)
Cheers

http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/1015005/current#

check it out, this is my poweramp setting screencap

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #168 of 228
Question: at what volume do you guys normally listen with low impedance phones on the s6? Wondering if I am going deaf, it always sounds low in volume to me umtil I reach the max. Listen mostly to classical.

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #169 of 228
With my SE846's it's at halfway just before the red warning zone on EU S6.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #170 of 228
Question: at what volume do you guys normally listen with low impedance phones on the s6? Wondering if I am going deaf, it always sounds low in volume to me umtil I reach the max. Listen mostly to classical.

Thanks!

in poweramp setting there are two gain setting (preEQ gain) on the same page. i set both to 8. then within eq the left most fader control is another gain control (EQ master push)

Nov 9, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #171 of 228
I'm always having to override the volume warning, so I'm in the going deaf crowd too...

External DAC keeps me from always having to deal with that warning. I haven't rooted a phone yet to get rid of that warning.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge using Tapatalk

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #172 of 228
Or try app Hearing Saver which can have a side effect of disabling the warning if already set above warning limit when it detects earphones being plugged in (may be firmware dependant).

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #173 of 228
I'm so surprised by all these bad reviews on the S6 sound... I don't get it. It supposedly uses the same parts as the Note 5, right? I've done AP measurements of the Note 5 and have been using it for months now and the sound quality is fantastic. It measures as good as a decent DAP... Not sure if you guys just have some strange EQ enabled or what not... 

See here for my Note 5 measurements. 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note5/general/note-5-headphone-jack-audio-performance-t3186790

In summary: super low THD levels, ruler flat frequency response...

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #174 of 228
Was using a Note 4 for last year then got a 64GB S6 and found sound poor compared to a Qualcomm Note 4. No life to the music, like listening through a veil so I went back to the Note 4.

There has then been a series of updates that has somehow made the S6 now better than the Note 4 so maybe they didn't get things right with early firmware. Unlike the Note 4, "Adept Sound" didn't seem to make any difference but now it does plus the "UHQ Upscaler" also improves sound.

Still not as good as sound out of my Chord Mojo/smartphone combo (wouldn't expect it TBH) but it is still very nice now and is my out & about mobile player for size/weight convenience with Spotify/Tidal streaming.

I've also had a Sony ZX2 and find the S6 even good compared to that now. I only use Shure SE846 IEMS's so may be different with other ear/headphones.

If you want the ultimate sound at a reasonable price get a Chord Mojo hooked up to any compatible phone/DAP/laptop.

I'd challenge anyone who say's the S6 with Adept & UHQ enabled is crap now, for me only bettered by the Chord Mojo and Sony ZX2 (with my SE846's anyway).  

My home rig is now my Note 4 permanently linked to my Chord Mojo (Mojo permanently connected to mains and Note 4, with the Note 4 getting powered from a Qi Wireless charger its sat on). Do take the Mojo out with me occasionally.

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #175 of 228
  Was using a Note 4 for last year then got a 64GB S6 and found sound poor compared to a Qualcomm Note 4. No life to the music, like listening through a veil so I went back to the Note 4.

There has then been a series of updates that has somehow made the S6 now better than the Note 4 so maybe they didn't get things right with early firmware. Unlike the Note 4, "Adept Sound" didn't seem to make any difference but now it does plus the "UHQ Upscaler" also improves sound.

Still not as good as sound out of my Chord Mojo/smartphone combo (wouldn't expect it TBH) but it is still very nice now and is my out & about mobile player for size/weight convenience with Spotify/Tidal streaming.

I've also had a Sony ZX2 and find the S6 even good compared to that now. I only use Shure SE846 IEMS's so may be different with other ear/headphones.

If you want the ultimate sound at a reasonable price get a Chord Mojo hooked up to any compatible phone/DAP/laptop.

I'd challenge anyone who say's the S6 with Adept & UHQ enabled is crap now, for me only bettered by the Chord Mojo and Sony ZX2 (with my SE846's anyway).  

My home rig is now my Note 4 permanently linked to my Chord Mojo (Mojo permanently connected to mains and Note 4, with the Note 4 getting powered from a Qi Wireless charger its sat on). Do take the Mojo out with me occasionally.

Does your S6 work with the Chord Mojo? I'm planning to use the S6 with an Oppo HA-2 and figured it was worth a shot asking because I have seen numerous complaints that USB audio-out wasn't working with the S6. Would love to confirm this before getting another S6. 

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #177 of 228

Just thought I would add a +1 to this post.

I love my Note 4 + OPPO HA-2 which does have greater sound than the S6 but as a standalone player with no stack or additional fiddling (e.g rooting, V4A) it sounds fantastic with UHQ enabled. Now idea why, for some reason it is either applying an EQ to the sound or altering the signal to the DAC or some other form of withcraft but whatever it seems to be doing it reduces the harshness in the treble and gives more punch to the low end with the mids being slightly clearer.

If you have an S6 then try it out with UHQ enabled and see how that goes, but if you own a Note 4 or something like that then consider possibly getting the OPPO HA-2 or Chord Mojo as it is cheaper than buying the S6. 

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #178 of 228
This is a audiophiles portable dream device. I am using very sensititve to hiss iems ( ckw1000anv) and always encountered hiss on the note 2 / 3 and other galaxies, sonies and htc's. Only the iphone 4 till 5's had a total black background. The newest generation of iphones has notable hiss and high output impedance which won't be good for highend iems which mostly consist of multi ba and hybrid setups.
The s6 with its total black background and output impedance of 0,7 ohm is finally the audiophile smartphone ive been searching for so long....

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #179 of 228
Tested both the S6 and S6 Edge and indeed, there was quite a significant difference between the 2. The sound quality on the S6 was garbage while the S6 Edge was more clear and balance.

S6 sounded extremely harsh with my westone 3. Male vocals had that sizzling high sound you would here when someone speaks through a cheap microphone. Bass was muddy to my ears.

The S6 Edge on the other hand, could match my Xperia Z1, only on the bass department though as i found it more control and detailed. When it comes to the treble however, my Z1 is still undefeated. Mids/Vocals are equal here, both Z1 and S6 sounded as good here.

It's just a pity that the Z3+ is not of a big improvement over the Z3 and the camera on the Z3+ is the exact same sensor on my Z1 which has already been defeated by the S6 Edge's camera. I'm considering to jump ship over to Samsung as the S6 Edge wins my 2 years old phone in every other areas such as the camera. Looking forward to hear more impressions regarding the S6 and S6 Edge. . While the camera is one of my priority, music/sound quality is my highest as i do not want to carry an additional device around.

I own the Edge, friend the S6. I found them to both sound the same.

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #180 of 228
I'm so surprised by all these bad reviews on the S6 sound... I don't get it. It supposedly uses the same parts as the Note 5, right? I've done AP measurements of the Note 5 and have been using it for months now and the sound quality is fantastic. It measures as good as a decent DAP... Not sure if you guys just have some strange EQ enabled or what not... 

See here for my Note 5 measurements. 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note5/general/note-5-headphone-jack-audio-performance-t3186790

In summary: super low THD levels, ruler flat frequency response...

A bit late but thank you for the measurements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back