Samsung galaxy S2 vs IPhone 4
Dec 14, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #106 of 146
Doubt 8ohm will be "problematic" but the word around here is that lower is better for armature drivers. On the other side the SG1  will have a  more powerful HP out vs IP4 for hard to drive cans almost diminishing the need for an amp on the go.

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #107 of 146

Quote:
The newer firmwares for the SGS2 have improved sound quality significantly, but it's still no match for an iPhone 4 or an SGS1 with Voodoo

I can vouch for a Voodoo'ed SGS1 as the best sounding handset i've ever heard.

I went through all 3 phones but I dont really use my phone for music anymore

Out of curiosity why don't you use your phone for music anymore. 

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #108 of 146
@ Peyotero:

Yes, "problematic" was a drastic formulation.
biggrin.gif

But, based on the 0 ohm output, is it possible, that the IP4 could be a better match for multi-ba iem?
(even, if the SGS has a better dac...)

I will use my smartphone only with in-ears like TF10 and maybe later customs.

Quote:
On the other side the SG1  will have a  more powerful HP out vs IP4 for hard to drive cans almost diminishing the need for an amp on the go.

I assume, that is mainly an advantage for full size headphones and not so much for in-ears?

@ KaliKot:

Have you tried your Voodoo'ed SGS with ba-iem?

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #110 of 146

Quote:
Dudes.. Guess what
biggrin.gif

Will compare with my 4S tonight
L3000.gif

First thing you'll want to do is disable Music and MusicFX.  The internal Music player doesn't do gapless, and the MusicFX app/process seems to mess with other players.

I just found a new player called "GoneMAD Music Player", so far it's working pretty well and does everything I need it to do.  It's onsale right now as well $1.

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #111 of 146

Quote:
@ Peyotero:

Yes, "problematic" was a drastic formulation.
biggrin.gif

But, based on the 0 ohm output, is it possible, that the IP4 could be a better match for multi-ba iem?
(even, if the SGS has a better dac...)

I will use my smartphone only with in-ears like TF10 and maybe later customs.

I assume, that is mainly an advantage for full size headphones and not so much for in-ears?

Uhh sorry. You'd need someone with both the iphone and gs1 + armature driver phones too clarify that...

As for the more powerful output on the voodoo's gs1, yea I guess the main benefit goes to high impedance cans.

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #112 of 146
The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is a warm sounding source to me so far, with just about an hour of listening. Kind of reminds me of my HM801. It has an upper bass emphasis like the LCD2 rev 1 kind of emphasis. Also it has more power than the iPhones and gives my ES5 a slight hiss sound when music is not playing. I still can't say which is better yet, the 4 and 4S are more neutral but the Galaxy Nexus seems to have better dynamics and soundstage. I will burn in the Galaxy Nexus for some time before making a haste conclusion. I would guess it will bee a good match with the er4p or UERM, but for the IEMs I mainly use (UE18 pro and Westone ES5), the low mids and upper bass may just be a bit too warm for me. For female vocal, its mid range sounds smoother and with more density than the 4 and 4S. Any word on what DAC and amp chips it is using?

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #113 of 146
been listening with Shure SE530 (the old model) and the iPhone 4S.
There is no bass, well, at least no where near my home setup with either the Grace M902B or Grace M903 or Cary CAD 300 SEI and the LCD2 r2
But the vocals are really nice and with the Mophie battery pack, I can play itunes for a 1/2 day at good volume levels.

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #114 of 146
I have the SE530 as well but never liked its bass. It is like the Rev 1's bass - good mid bass with great impact but quite shallow (i.e. bad sub-bass).

Is it true that with Ice Cream Sandwich I can connect to an external DAC via the USB of the Galaxy Nexus?

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #115 of 146

Quote:
I have the SE530 as well but never liked its bass. It is like the Rev 1's bass - good mid bass with great impact but quite shallow (i.e. bad sub-bass).

Is it true that with Ice Cream Sandwich I can connect to an external DAC via the USB of the Galaxy Nexus?

Nobody knows, try it.  In theory it has the potential to be able to.  Let us know.

I'm glad my old, outdated Nokia can.  It's a shame Samsung gimped the Google Nexus hardware to preserve the Galaxy SII flagship status.  People are basically paying 100$ more for a software update and lesser specs.

Dec 17, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #116 of 146

Quote:
Uhh sorry. You'd need someone with both the iphone and gs1 + armature driver phones too clarify that...

As for the more powerful output on the voodoo's gs1, yea I guess the main benefit goes to high impedance cans.

No problem, think I will try my friends SGS. Anyway, thanks for your help.
smile.gif

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #117 of 146

Quote:
The title of the thread is ludicrous. The best sound smartphone ever vs one of the worse.

Check the measurements for iPhone 4 and Galaxy SII at any site. Or try them with high end earphones. Or check focus.de (Great subjective assessments there. Almost always match objective data thus reviewer has great earphones (UE11) and golden ears.

Do whatever but please do not mislead anybody to think that iPhone 4 and Galaxy S II are even comparable sound quality wise. Samsung handset surpasses iP4 on many areas. Sound is not one of them.

You make a good point. A lot of this comes down to application and software. It is an issue when you make a comparison between Apple and the Android Camp, On the one hand you have a company that Controls their software and their hardware design. VS a company that doesn't. Although Google has purchased Motrola, they still have some work to do. The new HTC products will start to be released with the new BEATS sound, this is probably the first in the Android camp to come out with a definate advantage. I am sure there will be arguments about this as well on Beats as well, but I think it is excellent (no name calling please).

For now, Android Sound is very good, The Beats will be comparable if not better then the Apple, but the new Nexus Prime, if you compare to the Samsung Galaxy 4S LTE and the Apple 4S, in the video department, you will see excellent results and beats ( No pun intended here) the competition, another few months, maybe a year, you will see android right up there in the audio quality.

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #118 of 146
I had the iPhone 4 and Galaxy S2. I now have the iPhone 4S and Galaxy Nexus. The 4 has always been my favorite, but to my ears, the Galaxy Nexus has now surpassed the rest of them in terms of sound quality. Too bad I have never had the chance to try S1 with Voodoo. IMO, in terms of sound quality it is

Galaxy Nexus > 4 > 4S > S2.

Dec 25, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #119 of 146

Quote:

You make a good point. A lot of this comes down to application and software. It is an issue when you make a comparison between Apple and the Android Camp, On the one hand you have a company that Controls their software and their hardware design. VS a company that doesn't. Although Google has purchased Motrola, they still have some work to do. The new HTC products will start to be released with the new BEATS sound, this is probably the first in the Android camp to come out with a definate advantage. I am sure there will be arguments about this as well on Beats as well, but I think it is excellent (no name calling please).

For now, Android Sound is very good, The Beats will be comparable if not better then the Apple, but the new Nexus Prime, if you compare to the Samsung Galaxy 4S LTE and the Apple 4S, in the video department, you will see excellent results and beats ( No pun intended here) the competition, another few months, maybe a year, you will see android right up there in the audio quality.

Beats is nothing but a equaliser that boosts the bass and the treble.

and HTC is known for their crap internals and build quality: sd cards for internal storage, Qualcomm Processors, Tiny batteries, crappy DAC and amp, crappy screen, crappy call quality, etc.

On the build quality side: glass coming off, dust under screen, volume rocker falling off, etc

all because they make their phones as cheap as they can. They still haven't caught up to Samsung with their SGS2 that was announced at MWC this year and released April. No wonder they bought Beats, they were desperate

For me, Apple and Samsung are the only smartphone company i would buy from. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #120 of 146

Quote:

For me, Apple and Samsung are the only smartphone company i would buy from. 

Nokia makes better hardware than either.  I plan on hanging on to my N8 for years to come.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back