Same Old Schiit? Balanced Research and Valhalla Amp Giveaway
Aug 18, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #121 of 217
Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?
none at the moment.

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?
reading up on some german gears..thoroughly confused..hehe

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
i guess the one that has superior sonic qualities, and i will just stick with that.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?
that would be a PLUS definitely..so tat i dun have to recable a new can..before i decide to keep/sell it.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?
 i think the point of getting a balanced amp is to blow my mind off...vs a single-ended amp...there must be a clear superiority in soundstage, seperation, clarity..say 20-30% better,
when u switch from the single-ended to the balanced output on the same amp. otherwise i would just stick to a regular amp.

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #123 of 217
Quote:
If the Govibe Porta tube amp can power a notoriously power hungry AKG K1000 off of battery power, well enough (Jaban AU claims the K1000 "sings" off of this "very powerful" tiny portable tube amp), but only has SE outputs.

Surely a balanced; RSA SR71b type connector or like iBasso uses on their SS PB2 balanced portable; amp, could be done well enough to drive the Stax SR-009.

Didn't you post about this already in another thread?'

K1000 are dynamics, and Stax are electrostatics.  Electrostatics require their own special type of amplifier.  Apples and oranges.

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #124 of 217
- Not at the moment. I used to have some some Audio Technicas and Grados in the past, and currently have some parts to rewire another, possibly my orthos

- I'm also planning on building a balanced amp, possibly off the AMB a20 frame or just make my own.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
- I think dual XLR/TRS combo jacks would be good, with the XLR wired as normal, and the TRS portions one jack wired with the + and the other with the - so you can have two regular headphones connected if you wanted (though with phase inverted from one another).
- if there's space, then a 4pin XLR next to those would be good

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?
- I would assume that the quality would be the same except you only have half the voltage swing... but maybe that's a gross assumption on my part

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #125 of 217
Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? Not atm
If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? Yes I am looking forward to balancing my LCD-2s
For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? Not as of important, I would always stick with a 4 pin xlr
For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? Important, but not as important
This is a big yes.

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #126 of 217

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? I don't have balanced headphones yet, but I will experiment to balance with my T50RP and my HF2. After that I would look to buy something balanced.

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? Yes, both of them.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? Both of them, but I would prefer the 3 pin if I only could choose one.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? I think that's very important.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? A good output, nobody likes crappy things.

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #127 of 217
I don't have any balanced headphones at the moment, but I'm looking at going all balanced in the future. One of my concerns with balanced headphones stems from the connectivity though, there are four kinds of balanced jacks I know about right now, stax, sennheiser, dual 3 pin, single 4 pin. I know this amp is designed for dynamics / orthos, but I think it would be cool if you added a bias and two different electrostatic jacks so users could listen to some electrostats on your amp at very low volumes, in addition to a 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch SE output. Just keep the quality on all of the outputs equal so you can market the amp as the most versatile amp, ever.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #128 of 217

No but I have several sennheiser headphones ,so I want go balance in the future.

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones and might look into thas or a balanced amp in the future? Yes, I have some sennheiser that I want to balance in the future.

I feel 3 xlr pin is more common and much more important because a dual 3 pin xlr to 4 pin feels "better" than a 4 xlr pin to dual 3 xlr pin even though there is no logic behind it.

No that important, but I guess a majority of people would like a single end for utility ,but If it messes up the balance aspect of the amp (ie bridge the ground) then better off without.

Well, It should be good enough to decide if a new headphone purchase is "worth it" and might be useful to test headphone before going balanced.

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #129 of 217

No but I will order LCD-2 in October.

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones and might look into thas or a balanced amp in the future? Yes, I would like to have both balanced and single ended cables for my AKG 702s and LCDs so I can use them with different amps

I don't think it is necessary to have both 3 and 4 pin XLR outputs.

I would much rather prefer the amp to include single ended outputs...

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?It would be more of a utility thing...so I can have another headphone plugged in.

Thank you Schiit!

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #130 of 217

Current:

Hifiman HE-6
Denon D7000
Grado HF-2
Sennheiser HD650

Previous:

Audeze LCD-2
Sennheiser HD600
AKG K701
Beyerdynamic DT880
Beyerdynamic DT990
Grado RS-2
Grado SR225

I think these days 4 pin should suffice. I haven't seen a lot of "newer" designs that use 3-pin XLR connectors. I find most balanced headphones that are being sold have 4 pin XLR

I think it's important for the marketing of amplifiers to have them. However, I have found very few balanced amplifiers that have a SE output to have decent implementation. They usually sound below par.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?'

I have found the SE to be more of a utility over quality. If you're serious about sound, and you have invested so much money into a balanced source and amplifier, and you like your headphones, usually you're going to balance your headphones in the long run.

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #131 of 217

Quote:
See my recent post in Jude's review of the Stax SR-009.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560425/head-fi-tv-episode-008-stax-sr-009-best-headphone-ever-made

If the Govibe Porta tube amp can power a notoriously power hungry AKG K1000 off of battery power, well enough (Jaban AU claims the K1000 "sings" off of this "very powerful" tiny portable tube amp), but only has SE outputs.

Surely a balanced; RSA SR71b type connector or like iBasso uses on their SS PB2 balanced portable; amp, could be done well enough to drive the Stax SR-009.

Do so for <$1k (doesn't *have* to be a tube amp like the GoVibe, but such an amp would make the SR-009 owners real happy) and Jude will have all the excuses he needs to buy an SR-009 for his mobile uses, and home too...he'd probably name his next child after you too :D

Comparing the needs of the K1000 to an Electrostat is like comparing a pickup truck to a Semi.  You're quite off.

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #132 of 217

Quote:
Quote:

I thought this was a thread for suggesting ideas, not hating on other people's ideas.

Splitters are lame.

http://www.manley.com/neo3br.php

Why all the hate on splitters?  
tongue.gif

My thinking would be to maintain the integrity of the SE input as close to the XLR as possible for the sake of quality and AB comparisons.  The utility of two SE jacks is nice but the frequency of use and implementation w/ potential consequences to SQ are not worth the cost IMO.  My portable Arrow has dual jacks.  You know what I use it for most often?  Burning in multiple phones and ABing.

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #133 of 217
Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?   No
If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?  No
For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?  Sorry, I have no idea.
For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?  Very important
If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?   It is as important, do nothing halfway.

I know I was no help in the survey, I have never had balanced equipment and can be of no help.  But I hope to still be entered into the giveaway.  I can do a single ended Valhalla just fine.

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #134 of 217

I dont but Im planning to

YES!

4 pin XLR, 

Please, I would love to keep using my non balanced HPs too.

I think it would be more of an utility, so you dont need to have 2 or 3 amps.

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #135 of 217

Not yet...

Maybe. I really like my SE amp right now. Still, my DAC has balanced outputs, so I'd kind of like to hook it up to a balanced amp to hear what all the fuss is about.

Personally, I'd be happy with just a 3 pin XLR

Not essential. There are already a lot of single-ended amps out there, and I imagine adding an additional output would only add to the cost. On the other hand, not including a SE output makes the amp less versatile. So, I guess it depends on how much extra it costs to add the SE output. Maybe it could be an upgrade option, like USB on the Bifrost. Also, if somebody doesn't want to spring for the upgrade, maybe you could offer a SE-XLR adapter so that they could still use their SE headphones.

I think if you're going to add the SE output it should be as high quality as the balanced output, especially if it is part of an upgrade option. Again, if they don't want to pay for the upgrade, but still want versatility, they can use the  SE-XLR adapter. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back