Sad day, my UM3X are lost - I need ideas for replacements!
Sep 22, 2011 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

xlc210

New Head-Fier
Well community, the title says it all. Somehow, someway I lost my UM3Xs. I need ideas for replacements. I would love feedback from as many people as possible. Suggestions, opinions. I am open to all.

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 16
they are different to be sure but i haven't heard the um3x myself so i can't comment - however, you can look at the extensive iem impressions thread written by |joker| here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-195-iems-compared-fischer-audio-fa-788-skullcandy-smokin-added-9-17-11

it'll give you an idea of what differences to expect. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 16
sm3 v2 and sony ex 1000 didn't heard the w4 but this headphones have detachable cables and sound better in my opinion( the ex1000 better than the sm3 but have less isolation and the fit is worse), i think the um3x are quite good too

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 16
W3 has a much different treble than the UM3X. More sharp/splashy than smooth. The W3 has more mid bass, pretty sure. The W4 is more flat/neutral sounding (although some have pointed out it isn't totally flat in bass). UM3X has more forward mids compared to W3 and W4, more so compared to W3 though. The W4 will sound more similar than the UM3X than the W3. W4 is the least engaging of the three, in my view. I would say UM3X is the most intimate experience, W3 is the most fun experience, and W4 is the best detailed experience. (of the three)

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 16
I can imagine some people would recommend the EX1000 or SM3. I haven't heard either so I can't offer much insight in that area. Doubt you would like the IE8 a whole lot if you liked the UM3X. Really depends on what you're looking for. What kind of genres do you listen to most? What did/didn't you like about the UM3X? Assuming your budget is $400-500

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 16
Rock mostly. Tool, pink Floyd, newer metal. The only thing that was lacking was a little high end. However, I would hate for the westone 3 to have too much treble.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 16
Sounds like maybe the W4 is your best option then, from what I have heard, if you don't mind a mostly neutral sound. Seems like you're okay with it though if you liked the UM3X. I don't have a problem with the treble on the W3 personally, but it really depends on getting a good fit, source, etc I suppose.

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 16
if you liked the Um3x and got accustomed to its sound, you WILL NOT like the W4.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 16
I have access to a pair of W4 (my dad owns a pair), and I'm a UM3x user for a long time and I like it just fine.  OTOH I wouldn't trade the W3 for the UM3x, I think W4 and UM3x shares more similarities than the "fun" W3, which makes the W designation kind of puzzling.   

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 16
I have owned all three, and my order of preferences is UM3x=W3>>>W4
   The W4 was a disappointment to me. A nice, non-fatiguing sound but too little bass and overall quite boring.
I loved my UM3x (and still regret selling them to fund the W4s). They have amazing separation, excellent mids, and punchy bass.
  The W3 are what I have now, and though they are a bit less composed than the UM3x, they are a lot more "fun" than the W4 and I enjoy them quite a bit.
  If you listen to lots of rock, the W3 are much more suited than the W4 I think! Plus they are a good bit cheaper! I have noticed their slightly harsher treble a bit,
but it really isn't a problem IMHO, and is worth the trade-off for their more dynamic sound.

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 16
Don't forget about W2 if you want to save a little money.  Terrific dual driver IEM.  It's a W3 without the sub-bass and bass hump.  Most that aren't bassheads would probably prefer the W2 for this reason and it is arguably more fun than the UM3X as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back