SA5000 or W1000 or Recabled HD650 or ???
Sep 11, 2007 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

ecclesand

Headphoneus Supremus
I'll get right to the point. Which of the above headphones should I choose or is there another option altogether? For a reference, I really enjoy the K501. Great mids, airy presentation, nice tight bass. I listen to rock, symphonic metal, and progressive metal. I'm looking for a headphone that is fast so I can hear good separation between double-bass beats and the instruments in complex passages. My ideal headphone should have tight bass with great impact. I also want a headphone with smooth highs...no harshness or sibilance.

My current rig is a Constantine+ NOS DAC and a Corda HA-2 MKII SE hooked up to my computer. I really like the Constantine because of it's warm sound and have no plans to upgrade it in the near future.

So, anyone have any recommendations? Please feel free to recommend a can not mentioned above.

Thanks!

Sep 11, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 32
coming from the K501, i think you would find the HD650 too bassy and with not enough focus. when i read your description i thought of the DT880 or K701, both probably recabled, as better alternatives. i can't comment on the other phones you mention.

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 32
From what you have described, the JVC DX1000 would fit perfectly.

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 32
looks like you got a few more options to consider.
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 32
I see the term "dark" in reference to senn's all the time, but I don't really know what it means...It can mean alot of things to me. Could someone be more specific about that?

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W5000's bass impact may not fit you. Coming from K501, you probably will find 650 "too dark".

SA5000 is perfect -- bass impact, instrument separation, airy, extended highs yet no sibilance.

W5000 bass quantity falls somewhere in between DT800 and recabled HD650, quality is much better than on the other two. Spacious soundstage, airiness, great details, and sweetest midrange are a trademark of these phones.
I I had to choose only two headphones that would be recabled HD650 and W5000. Between the two, that probably would be a draw.

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zadok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see the term "dark" in reference to senn's all the time, but I don't really know what it means...It can mean alot of things to me. Could someone be more specific about that?

it's the dip(s) at high frequency range:

HD650_frequency_response.jpg

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zadok /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the HD650 has a laid back or relaxed sonic presentation as opposed to bold, forward or upfront. the 650 has good detail but they are not crisp or brilliant - something often associated with brighter headphones. and although i would not call highs the 650s strong point, it has a deep bass response and a lovely warm, euphonic sound signature. the 650s are like being in a smokey lounge bar sitting a few rows back. the music is laid back - a bit dark. everything is heard clearly but you are not front row with the music being blared at you. instead you are kind of just there - maybe in a bit of a mellow mood - enjoying the experience.

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 32
Is that graph purely comparative (As in 0 is the reference point)?

I can't understand how an amplitude can be negative when representing sound..
There's obviously not "anti-sound" at the negatives.

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W5000's bass impact may not fit you. Coming from K501, you probably will find 650 "too dark".

SA5000 is perfect -- bass impact, instrument separation, airy, extended highs yet no sibilance.

I have, or have had, them all. I still suggest the DX1000. Very smooth high frequencies, terrific bass, vast soundstage (for a headphone). I agree that the SA5000 is an extremely good headphone (especially when recabled), but it is slightly bright, a bit thinner in presentation, and less forgiving of the upstream equipment and recordings. Amazing detail, spaciousness, and air, however, and the bass is quite tight and tuneful. The W5000 is just a little too thin sounding for my tastes (more so than the SA5000) and the bass impact just does not cut it for rock or electonica. Then, just to confuse the issue further, there is the Denon D5000 or D2000 whch are also pretty good all-arounders but suffer mostly due to a flat soundstage.

Nothing is perfect at this or any level and each has its fan club (and deservedly so as they are all very good to excellent at some portion of music reproduction).

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing is perfect at this or any level and each has its fan club (and deservedly so as they are all very good to excellent at some portion of music reproduction).

when all failed, go for HE90.
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a headphone that is fast so I can hear good separation between double-bass beats and the instruments in complex passages. My ideal headphone should have tight bass with great impact. I also want a headphone with smooth highs...no harshness or sibilance.

That describes the AD2000 exactly!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #15 of 32
I chime in, in behalf of Denon mob: AH-D5000.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back