sa5000 initial impressions
Apr 28, 2009 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lutwey

1000+ Head-Fier
this is my first attempt in posting a review of any my cans, so i might not be able to describe it like many other great reviewers here in head-fi. not that that is out of the way,lets get started shall we. first let me tell you the reason why im doing this review. they are freaking AWESOME and for the first time a pair of headphones have really covered all the requirements im looking for a headphone. a balance between musicality and clarity.

for now i would like to describe its construction and how it sounded out of the box. the packaging of this thing is "apple" quality. nice ,simple and sleek. the first thing you would notice when you opened up box is the sa5000's metalic construction of the headphones and how it was gently placed to a silk like textile(a la he90's/ suggesting that this not you everyday "dj" headphones). upon taking it out the box,z you will immediately notice how light these things are. but dont be fooled thye are solidly built. almost the entire hp is made out of aluminum, while the ear cups are made of leather. the only downer for me is that mesh like textile that was attached in the headband. they are pretty comfortable as well. the shape of the cups are patterned after the human ear so they sit nicely on your ears.

now the most important part, the sound. well i have a few headphones some them i like(ms1/dt990 pro-eventually learned to like 'em) some of them i adore(ms2/hd580/ety4p). let me tell you this sa5000 trumps them all. there are two different things i noticed right away. first is the clarity these cans can offer. be warned that if your music is mostly composed of mp3 and you are not planning to upgrade your source DO NOt BUY these cans.i mediately noticed how poor my mp3 song were. take note that i have always enjoyed these songs and never heard some of the crackling and other flaws before the sa5000. as we know a detailed hp is a double edge sword. with all thoose bad things comes the good. im just amazed at how these can present trebles. they were either undistinguishable or poorly presented on my other cans. one of my favorite song to test my new cans with is sweet child of mine(loseless) from GnR. while the ms2 managed to amuse me on how it presents slash's intro, the trebles of his guitar and bass guitar in the part of the song where axl rose was singing his verses was just phenomenal. i mean wow ive never heard thoose treble presented like that in any of my cans except from my er4p.

btw did i mention they look sweet together with my ms2 and corda cantate. will post pics later.......probably.

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 4
yes...the sa5000's are notoriously finicky about source/amp/cables/etc....but, if you find good synergy with your kit, it's magic----i was lucky enough to find a good combo in my own system

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 4
lucky you, that is awesome that you were able to get a pair, i have a pair of sa1000s and I have been wanting to upgrade but I just can't get the money to switch it up and finally take the plunge

hopefully i'll be able to get a pair somewhat soon, esp hearing your words for the 'phones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back