S9 vs J3 vs Zune HD
Sep 17, 2010 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

idvsego

100+ Head-Fier
Need a new DAP with good video playback options and decent SQ for music.  I think I have narrowed it to these 3 but cant seem to break the tie.  Here are my thoughts.  Maybe someone can add something I have missed

all players have a nice screen and about the same storage capacity. 

Cowon J3 16gb - $240
Pros:  superior SQ.  BBE.  expansion slot for multiple video library options and theoritcally infinite expansion.  great battery life.  flat form factor.  built in speaker.  drag and drop access.
Cons:  at $240 for 16gb it is the most expensive player in my list.  lower on board capacity

Cowon S9 32gb - $205
Pros:  Superior SQ.  BBE.  32gb of space is decent.  really good battery life.  drag and drop access
Cons:  no speaker, no expansion slot.  curved form factor seems like it may be a pain.

Zune HD 32gb - $200
Pros:  SQ at least similair to the zune 120 I am coming from.  wifi web browsing.  HD radio. good battery life.  zune pass if I ever decided to do it.
Cons:  zune software required.  EQ not as good as cowons.  no expansion slot

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 18
It depends what you are willing to pay for. Personally I wouldn't mind forking out a few extra coins for the added J3 features, you however may not consider it worth the extra money.
Either way I've never been impressed by the Zune line, so I would encourage you to go for the Cowons.

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 18
what real differences are there?  I really only see battery life, SD slot, and maybe the UI.  Both have better battery life than my Zune 120.  I already own a 16gb and an 8gb microSD card so its really only a $35 difference so I am leaning towards the J3.

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 18
I was considering the S9 and J3 not too long ago and was able to demo them both at a store. There were several reasons for the J3. I got a 8GB and if I wanted more it would be cheaper to get a 16gb card than to move to 16gb j3. The buttons on the J3 are great and gives you all you would need. You have the next/previous and play/pause button as well as volume up and down. The best part is that they are easily located and can operate without looking at them. I found the navigation on the J3 better and lastly the curve of the S9 would probably make it rock back and forth if I put it on a table. I also liked the look of the J3 better.

Sep 21, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 18
The curve on the S9 is tiny. Most of the back is flat. It doesn't really rock at all. I suggest going for the 32 GB S9 for $200. The J3 is over-priced and the Zune HD doesn't have the EQ, which is the main reason to buy Cowon. The EQ makes the difference night and day. Even the pre-sets are fantastic. I would use the extra money from the S9 on a HJE900 ($90 from JR) or RE0 (I don't know how well it pairs with the S9). If you do go for the J3, then you wont be disappointed either. I couldn't justify paying for the J3 when the only real difference is the expansion slot. 

Sep 21, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 18
I don't consider the J3 over priced at all. I'll take the better UI and memory slot on the J3 over the S9 any day. However not all of the EQ presets sound good and a good number of them sound pretty bad. My main reason was the battery and then the memory slot. EQ isn't high on my list of requirements but it's better to have an option than no option on that. It depends on what your value of importance in a player is. I couldn't stand the UI on the S9 but the J3 isn't as bad. The only thing I don't like about Cowon players in the iaudio line is that none of them drive low impedance phones well.

Sep 21, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 18
The J3 just had a price drop of $50. Now the 32 GB was only $50 away from the S9. I'm using a different UI on the S9. Klaus Browser+J3 Mainmenu2+J3 Music Player+ Klaus Video Player=Awesome

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #10 of 18
So the zune HD is pretty much out of the equation.  The sflo has too many quirks for me I think, plus it has been hard to find in the 16gb variety.  the teclast t51 is easy enough to find in 8gb and pretty cheap at $140 so its intriguing.  How is the video playback?  Right now my choices are:

Cowon S9 32GB - $204
Cowon J3 8GB - $170
Teclast t51 8GB - $140

rumors of 4 and 4.3" screens on some android minitablets have me curious as well. 

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #11 of 18
The S:Flo 2 and T51 are the exact same player. If one has a problem for you the other will. That leaves the S9 and J3.
The 32 GB S9 is $204.
The 32 GB J3 is $264.
The 16GB J3 is $214.
A 16GB MicroSD is $30.

I bought the S9, but that was when the J3 was $300. The J3 and S9 internally are almost the same. The differences are a microSD card slot, speaker (useless if you ask me), superior UI (but the S9 can be re-skinned with J3 UI), thinner body, and an overall better build quality. I've heard issues of the screen coming loose, but the S9 seems to have this problem as well to a lesser degree. Overall you will be happy with either. The slew of features each provides make them fantastic devices.

If you don't want to pay the extra $60 then you will be happy with the S9 and I don't think you will regret not getting the J3.

The both have the same amp, jeteffect 3.0, same codec support, and same amoled screen.

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #12 of 18
yeah, I know the sflo and t51 are the same.  I havent found too many places with the sflo in stock so I linked to the t51.  I have a 16gb card already so the 8gb J3 would give 24gb, which is close to the same storage as the 32gb s9 and actually $30 cheaper.  jeteffect and amoled screen are my primary concerns so I feel safe with either cowon.

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 18
One question please.
I ask if the J3,has a line out,so as to use it ,when I buy,together with a amp/dac combo,either the pico amp,or a i-Qube V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back