S:flo2 impressions thread
Oct 14, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #3,406 of 3,682

Quote:
Today, I see comments from FLACvest on Fuze vs sflo2. Very helpful. Thx FLACvest -  one more person finds the Fuze to have good bass. 

Glad someone found it useful! Personally I feel that the s:flo2 and the Fuze (Rockboxed w/ HP Out, or better (soundwise, NOT UI wise) with a FiiO L6 LOD into a FiiO E11) are great at what they do, and both respectable, good sounding DAPs. While the interface, and esp. LOW COST of the Sansa Fuze/Fuze+LOD+E11 in comparison to other setups make it an ideal "walkaround" setup, esp. since the E11 is such a small HP Amp and the items are fairly "common" and easy to replace if lost/stolen. The s:flo2, even from the HP Out, has a much different "flavour" of sound, and like many have stated, EXTREMELY WORTH IT for the $$$. While its caveats: not the "zippiest" UI, the need for the DriveSort utility to alphabetize music, and the ever so annoying "touchscreen only" bit are in fact, quite sadly elements that make the s:flo2 fairly limited for any "track jumping" user... The RAW SQ is "somewhat grander" than the Fuze, plus a great sounding Analog Line Out.

The devices fulfill different roles in my mind, and each do well what they have an aptitude for.

Having had good experiences with these devices, I think I'll definitely keep them in my permanent collection... As for what the future holds, and sorry to stray off topic for a moment, but I'm eager to play with the eventual final production releases of FiiO's X3, and Teclast's T59, when they come to market.

On the topic of Sansa for a moment, I'd really like them to make a higher end non-video player similar to the Fuze (with it's adequate screen real estate (esp. under Rockbox)) and higher-end sound reproduction quality, the return of that quick & responsive rubberized thumbwheel, and an analog or digital Line Out would be sweet. That travesty of a "touchpad" setup on the Fuze+ can be joyfully ditched, and the only thing that I dislike about the Clip+/Clip Zip is that it doesn't have the Sansa "Dock" interface port, and therefore, no Line Out. fooey!

Okay that's enough rambling from Yours Truly.

Best,
-FLACvest

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #3,407 of 3,682
Glad someone found it useful! Personally I feel that the s:flo2 and the Fuze (Rockboxed w/ HP Out, or better (soundwise, NOT UI wise) with a FiiO L6 LOD into a FiiO E11) are great at what they do, and both respectable, good sounding DAPs. While the interface, and esp. LOW COST of the Sansa Fuze/Fuze+LOD+E11 in comparison to other setups make it an ideal "walkaround" setup, esp. since the E11 is such a small HP Amp and the items are fairly "common" and easy to replace if lost/stolen. The s:flo2, even from the HP Out, has a much different "flavour" of sound, and like many have stated, EXTREMELY WORTH IT for the $$$. While its caveats: not the "zippiest" UI, the need for the DriveSort utility to alphabetize music, and the ever so annoying "touchscreen only" bit are in fact, quite sadly elements that make the s:flo2 fairly limited for any "track jumping" user... The RAW SQ is "somewhat grander" than the Fuze, plus a great sounding Analog Line Out.

The devices fulfill different roles in my mind, and each do well what they have an aptitude for.

Having had good experiences with these devices, I think I'll definitely keep them in my permanent collection... As for what the future holds, and sorry to stray off topic for a moment, but I'm eager to play with the eventual final production releases of FiiO's X3, and Teclast's T59, when they come to market.

On the topic of Sansa for a moment, I'd really like them to make a higher end non-video player similar to the Fuze (with it's adequate screen real estate (esp. under Rockbox)) and higher-end sound reproduction quality, the return of that quick & responsive rubberized thumbwh
eel, and an analog or digital Line Out would be sweet. That travesty of a "touchpad" setup on the Fuze+ can be joyfully ditched, and the only thing that I dislike about the Clip+/Clip Zip is that it doesn't have the Sansa "Dock" interface port, and therefore, no Line Out. fooey!

Okay that's enough rambling from Yours Truly.

Best,
-FLACvest

Sorry to burst your bubble but the X3 is dead. Fiio trashed the project due to the supplier being unreliable. The T59 remains to be seen though. The second design had me sold with a smaller screen and buttons. The newer design has turned me off from this device. It will be bigger than the Sflo2 and wider. I really hope they go with the earlier design and ditch video playback and just focus on a reliable user-friendly audiophile player, of which no one has truly filled this nitch yet.

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #3,408 of 3,682

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble but the X3 is dead. Fiio trashed the project due to the supplier being unreliable. The T59 remains to be seen though. The second design had me sold with a smaller screen and buttons. The newer design has turned me off from this device. It will be bigger than the Sflo2 and wider. I really hope they go with the earlier design and ditch video playback and just focus on a reliable user-friendly audiophile player, of which no one has truly filled this nitch yet.

So the X3 is dead... What a BIG disappointment. Ah well, at least I have the s:flo2, fuze, clip+ and iRiver H140... It would be nice to see SOMEBODY make new, gapless playback players with BUTTONS (rather than touchscreen only) that are modern, up to date, and have Digital Line Out (TOSLINK or COAX)... There's always the future I suppose, and maybe Teclast WILL release the new revision of their T59 project.

@lee730:  Thanks for letting me know the sad news.

Best,
-FLACvest

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #3,409 of 3,682
No problem Flacvest. I want the exact same thing. An audiophile player with buttons that is fast and simple to use, like the Sansa fuze. I'm able to navigate so easily on it and I want that on an audiophile player. I find myself wanting to use my Hifiman on the go butthe fact that it takes a while to change to different tracks of my liking;:mad: I end up just ruining the experience by getting pissed off by the inconvenience. Same applies to it while on the road and listen through my stereo. It's much easier to do on the fuze, and in that safer as well. :mad::mad:

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #3,410 of 3,682
I have owned my S:flo a good year now and the headphone jack is about to die, so I need to know is there a way to fix this, It's cracked. Or could I use the LO with headphones somehow, or do I need an amp? If I need an amp then any suggestions to something at least upgrading the SQ?

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #3,411 of 3,682

Quote:
I have owned my S:flo a good year now and the headphone jack is about to die, so I need to know is there a way to fix this, It's cracked. Or could I use the LO with headphones somehow, or do I need an amp? If I need an amp then any suggestions to something at least upgrading the SQ?

uHA-4
ZO

Unless you like to listen to headphones at REALLY LOUD VOLUMES, or you have an inline volume control, I'd recommend getting an amp over trying to use the LO for phones. The big advantage of the uHA-4 is that you will have a USB DAC to use with whatever computers you have access to (and that means movies and games as well as music), but the ZO will give you the DSP you need to 'upgrade the SQ' - whether you view their 'sound contouring' as an 'upgrade' is a question I wont be able to answer for another fortnight when the V2 finally ships.

There are other options with bass boost switches etc, but you end up spending a lot more on the amp than you have on your (now crippled) source. I'll be extra careful with the socket on my T1 when it arrives later in the week.

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #3,412 of 3,682

Quote:
uHA-4
ZO

Unless you like to listen to headphones at REALLY LOUD VOLUMES, or you have an inline volume control, I'd recommend getting an amp over trying to use the LO for phones. The big advantage of the uHA-4 is that you will have a USB DAC to use with whatever computers you have access to (and that means movies and games as well as music), but the ZO will give you the DSP you need to 'upgrade the SQ' - whether you view their 'sound contouring' as an 'upgrade' is a question I wont be able to answer for another fortnight when the V2 finally ships.

There are other options with bass boost switches etc, but you end up spending a lot more on the amp than you have on your (now crippled) source. I'll be extra careful with the socket on my T1 when it arrives later in the week.

I avoided the HO like the plague anyways lol. I used my UHA4 exclusively with the line out as it sounds noticeably better and more dynamic. The HO is decent but I didn't like the warmth it added. When comparing it to the Hifiman HO I preferred the Hifiman. So in the end I had no reason to keep the Sflo2 in all honesty as I preferred it in both the HO and Line out, although the Sflo2 does have more in the top end using the line out; that doesn't mean its better though.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #3,413 of 3,682
But aren't we talking a substantial difference in price here, Amigo ? The T51 is a means to an end for me - if its as bass-light as I'm led to believe, and the ZO can magically reintroduce bass punch into the analog signal, then my mission will be complete and I can return to Krypton.

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #3,414 of 3,682

Quote:
But aren't we talking a substantial difference in price here, Amigo ? The T51 is a means to an end for me - if its as bass-light as I'm led to believe, and the ZO can magically reintroduce bass punch into the analog signal, then my mission will be complete and I can return to Krypton.

It is a bit bass light but that wasn't the issue for me. It just sounds too digital. Doesn't sound real. The Hifiman gives me that lifelike sound that I really like, very organic.

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #3,415 of 3,682

Quote:
It is a bit bass light but that wasn't the issue for me. It just sounds too digital. Doesn't sound real. The Hifiman gives me that lifelike sound that I really like, very organic.

Hey, don't get me wrong, my friend - I want that too, but at this point in time I'm just not prepared to part with the $790 (plus 245 for the balanced amp module ...) for the privilege. As I mentioned elsewhere, a couple of real world outlays are taking precedence atm  its painful, but occasionally I have to man up and spend money on things other than audio.  
eek.gif

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #3,416 of 3,682
Just a small feedback on the Sflo2 > Fiio L8 > Stepdance > DBA-02 combo I upgraded to recently and I must say the combo sounds amazing, but it also made me realize that the sound quality of some of my flacs are pretty bad.  I'm only listening to flacs and they all sound pretty good with the HO from the Sflo2 until I tried it with the amp.  The ones with a good recording/rip sounds amazing, but some of them are truly horrible.  It is usually in the treble region where it sounds like its crackling/static, which I think may also be caused by the DBA-02 being a bit too bright.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #3,417 of 3,682

Quote:
Hey, don't get me wrong, my friend - I want that too, but at this point in time I'm just not prepared to part with the $790 (plus 245 for the balanced amp module ...) for the privilege. As I mentioned elsewhere, a couple of real world outlays are taking precedence atm  its painful, but occasionally I have to man up and spend money on things other than audio.  
eek.gif

My Hifiman is the 601 not the 801 :wink:. $259.00 from headroom. From what I've heard the 801 is more along the lines of digital sounding than smooth and laid back. Its more in your face and bright. I'm not sure about it though with the balanced amp.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #3,418 of 3,682

Quote:
Just a small feedback on the Sflo2 > Fiio L8 > Stepdance > DBA-02 combo I upgraded to recently and I must say the combo sounds amazing, but it also made me realize that the sound quality of some of my flacs are pretty bad.  I'm only listening to flacs and they all sound pretty good with the HO from the Sflo2 until I tried it with the amp.  The ones with a good recording/rip sounds amazing, but some of them are truly horrible.  It is usually in the treble region where it sounds like its crackling/static, which I think may also be caused by the DBA-02 being a bit too bright.

That is why I don't recommend pairing bright headphones/IEMs with bright sources. Its always better to find balance. So I'd say the Hifiman 601 would pair better with the DBA2 to balance it out. Otherwise you have too much emphasis on the treble and it can ruin things, even make for sibilance issues.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #3,419 of 3,682
Hmm, I've been thinking if I should sell my Sflo2 + J3 to buy a Hm-602 just to see if it pairs better with Stepdance + DBA-02, or maybe just sell the J3 to finance a better suited iem for Sflo2 + Stepdance.

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #3,420 of 3,682

Quote:
My Hifiman is the 601 not the 801 :wink:. $259.00 from headroom. From what I've heard the 801 is more along the lines of digital sounding than smooth and laid back. Its more in your face and bright. I'm not sure about it though with the balanced amp.

That is absolutely 180 degrees away from everything I have read on the 801. I'm not going to post links - am supposed to be working, fwiw - but every single review points to the 801 as being head-and-shoulders above both 60* players in SQ, with a warm, analog signature. If that isnt the case, then you can draw a line straight through it for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back