S:flo2 impressions thread
Oct 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #3,361 of 3,682

Quote:
Luck of the draw, I suppose. All I've done is kept it safely (constantly) tucked away in one of the Nationite leather cases. But, as you can see from the photo ... I've still managed to beat the living ***** out of it. I seriously abuse it on a daily basis. The one nice thing is that the screen is still 100% scratch free (thanks to that neato and rather sexy smelling leather case) ... LOL. 

I've stopped using my Arrow at the day job cause on one hand, the S:flo 2 sounds nearly as good (only minus the delicious bass of the Arrow and secondly, because I fried the inputs on my first Arrow from all the manual labor and keeping the stack in my nomex coverall pockets. 

Totally still stoked on the S:flo 2 ... I'll miss it if it ever dies and will then buy another the very next few minutes after. 

:wink: 

Rock.

.j

Or you could always follow in the Chevy Silverado commercials footsteps "Like a Rock" and buy a Hifiman 601 :wink:. RFLMAO

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #3,362 of 3,682

Quote:
Or you could always follow in the Chevy Silverado commercials footsteps "Like a Rock" and buy a Hifiman 601 :wink:. RFLMAO

I admit a very real desire to hear both the 601 and the 801 ... 

No lies, here.

Rock.

.j

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #3,363 of 3,682

Quote:
I admit a very real desire to hear both the 601 and the 801 ... 

No lies, here.

Rock.

.j

I'm tempted to hear the 801 but its a damn monster, I hear its a bit aggressive sounding too and not laid back. If the 601 is a Cadillac, the 801 is a stretched limo.

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #3,364 of 3,682

Quote:
With the Phonak Audeos the sflo2 sounds pretty much the same as my rockboxed Clip. I made sure to confirm my impressions with a blind test and some unloaded RMAA measures. By hey the Phonaks are probably garbage too.

Thanks for the graph. I am actually happy to see the graphs are almost identical. I own the rockboxed Sansa Fuze and now the teclast t51. Inspite of the graph, I hear differences. I think there is no inconsistency in my observation technically too. The graph is made by measuring one frequency at a time, where as music is composed of multiple frequencies at any instant. Depending on the ability of the amplifier to switch and supply current (based on the impedence of the speaker/IEM/load) one could hear the music reproduced differently. In my opinion, the Sansa Fuze is ruthlessly neutral/raw/dry almost like what a sound engineer would like to hear. The t51 is smooth sounding, maybe the amps damping factor is not that good. But this probably is perceived as a good thing by listeners/audiophiles. Coincidentally, the bass is also not as tight as the Sansa Fuze. Note, I am listening to india(n) music which is rich in different kinds of drums and which I have heard in person a lot growing up in India. I find the Sansa Fuze reproduces the drums accurately. Ironically, I also like listening to the t51 because it is pleasant to listen. Also, the low level resolution seems to be better , that is, like for example, I can hear a tambourine's character very clearly. Maybe since it takes the edge of the highs a bit I am able to focus on it. I am waiting on silver cable form Chris_himself. I am a detail fanatic and would like to see how the t51 sounds on the drums with it (thru my UE TF10).  The next step is to get an amp (if my wife does not throw me out of the house yet :wink: ) and see if I can keep the detail of the good dac in t51 but improve the reproduction especially on the bottom end. 

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #3,365 of 3,682

Quote:
 Inspite of the graph, I hear differences.

x2

I think graphs are silly.

As a former "rockboxed" Clip owner as well ... I hear *major* differences, primarily in sound stage and imaging but also clarity. The clip(+) is an awesome player. I'm getting one this week in fact strictly for use at the gym ... but it's certainly not in the same league (to my ear, anyway) as the S:flo 2.

Rock.

.j

Oct 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #3,366 of 3,682

has anyone tried the line out through a Fiio E6?

i just ordered the Fiio and was wondering if was a capable amp for the S:Flo2 unlike the E5.

Oct 7, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #3,367 of 3,682

Isn't the E6 a replacement for the E5? I wouldn't think so in that case. Even the Fiio E7 clips on the Sflo2, unless you put the setting to User Flat at least. You' be better off getting an amp to match the capability of the Sflo2 otherwise just stick with the HO. Maybe the E11 would do the trick.
Quote:

has anyone tried the line out through a Fiio E6?

i just ordered the Fiio and was wondering if was a capable amp for the S:Flo2 unlike the E5.

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #3,368 of 3,682
i actually have an E11 already.

i was just asking since the E6 would make the setup more portable and have that potential sound improvement over the HO.

i also have a Sansa Fuze which would serve as the primary DAP for the E6 anyway so its not that important for it to sound good with the SFlo2.

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #3,371 of 3,682
Firmware is the same as well, just the startup/shutdown video looks different.

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #3,373 of 3,682

Quote:
The stock themes also look different right? When I loaded the T51 firmware onto my sflo2 the themes were different as well but basically the same still.

Theme can be modified if you look into Teclast forum. The one on S:flo2 is from MP4 Nation's forum, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back