rsa protector + jh16 pro = good combination or too much?
Apr 27, 2010 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,
I intend to go custom iem pretty soon probbably in combination with the hifiman hm801 and game module.
When my mind was made up about htat I started reading about the rsa protector, the first portable balanced amp. My favourite portable amps until now have been the rs71a and the ibasso d4.
I was wondering if anyone will be getting the protector in combination with the jh16pro, i am worried that this combination might just be too much in terms of bass response so I would love to hear peoples impressions about this combo, if anyone will get it.
Thanks in advance,
Greetings, Anouk,

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
I intend to go custom iem pretty soon probbably in combination with the hifiman hm801 and game module.
When my mind was made up about htat I started reading about the rsa protector, the first portable balanced amp. My favourite portable amps until now have been the rs71a and the ibasso d4.
I was wondering if anyone will be getting the protector in combination with the jh16pro, i am worried that this combination might just be too much in terms of bass response so I would love to hear peoples impressions about this combo, if anyone will get it.
Thanks in advance,
Greetings, Anouk,

It depends on the mostly source than the amp. With my current setup, the HiFiMAN - TWag 3.5mm to 3.5mm - Protector - Balanced TWag 48" cable - JH13 Pro. The bass is perfect in quantity and quality, anymore would ruin the overall balance and sound bassy. Now with the same setup above and a iPod Touch instead of the HiFiMAN the bass loses it's presence and of course detail and the sound sounds anemic and loss of life. Immediately when I had first listened to the HiFiMAN I noticed how much more present the bass and upper treble response was. What I'm guessing is that most lower end DAC's roll off at the frequency ends. The HiFiMAN is restoring the roll offs so the 13's regain their bass and airiness. The ALO Rx has more bass output than the Protector, in my opinion the 13's and the ALO Rx gives a awesome bass response that is visceral and controlled and detailed at the same time but is a little boosted though. The 16's will be a complete bassy overkill in my opinion with the ALO Rx. Good Luck!

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Sonic, i am still planning to use the hifiman as source even with the protector. I hope Fang will add an option to buy the hifiman without an amp module but I guess that wont happen.
I guess the bass MIGHT be too much with jh16, i like some bass slam, i now have the turbine pro copper iems. I dont like overpowering bass like dt990 though that overpowers the midrange .
Thanks again for all your info,
Greetings, Anouk,

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic 748i /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on the mostly source than the amp. With my current setup, the HiFiMAN - TWag 3.5mm to 3.5mm - Protector - Balanced TWag 48" cable - JH13 Pro. The bass is perfect in quantity and quality, anymore would ruin the overall balance and sound bassy. Now with the same setup above and a iPod Touch instead of the HiFiMAN the bass loses it's presence and of course detail and the sound sounds anemic and loss of life. Immediately when I had first listened to the HiFiMAN I noticed how much more present the bass and upper treble response was. What I'm guessing is that most lower end DAC's roll off at the frequency ends. The HiFiMAN is restoring the roll offs so the 13's regain their bass and airiness. The ALO Rx has more bass output than the Protector, in my opinion the 13's and the ALO Rx gives a awesome bass response that is visceral and controlled and detailed at the same time but is a little boosted though. The 16's will be a complete bassy overkill in my opinion with the ALO Rx. Good Luck!

what do you like more, the alo or the protector?

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdr529 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you like more, the alo or the protector?

The Protector in balanced, but for single ended only the ALO Rx is the best.

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks in advance,
Greetings, Anouk,

Too much bass is subjective. If your asking if the bass is overpowering with that combo, then I'm going to have to say no from the brief time that I heard mine before I sent it in for a refit
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back