RSA **Predator** A review in stages ** With some "NEW" images on 1st and page 64 . . .
Jul 17, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #573 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But let's add: Ray is a pleasure to do business with. No waiting list. No guessing on when you will get your amp. He phones you! He checks if you are happy! Amazing.

Sounds great!

I'm thinking seriously about getting the Pred when I get to the US in the coming Aug.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #574 of 723
Quote:

I use the amp only (no need for the DAC), and it really is as good as everyone here says, especially after burn-in. You are reading the truth, not groupie fanboy prattle.

I have Ultrasone Pro 750, Beyer 600-Ohm 880, and Senn 600 (closed, semi-open, and open). Drives 'em all, and drives me wild (and drives my wife crazy, 'cause I sing and dance while listening, and I can't do either, I actually look and sound like a buffoon, but who cares). Source is a Cowon I7, all wav files ripped using EAC, custom red-and-black Predator to match the I7.

But let's add: Ray is a pleasure to do business with. No waiting list. No guessing on when you will get your amp. He phones you! He checks if you are happy! Amazing.

That is hysterical. So do you look like Snoopy when you dance? Get some phones and an amp for your wife and you guys can do the Snoopy. :^)

Is the body red or black?

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #575 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_eleven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could be listening to a Predator mature, but instead I am waiting for the R-71a.

I bet some people will tell the same burn-in BS with the SR-71 so you better get a Predator now if that's what you want. Listen with your ears and don't believe the hype.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #576 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you guys using to measure burn-in time? Is a digital clock more reliable or is analog better? Thanks!

Math. haha
24 hours x ~40-41 days = 1000 hours if you run a signal through it 24/7
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #577 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet some people will tell the same burn-in BS with the SR-71 so you better get a Predator now if that's what you want. Listen with your ears and don't believe the hype.

I wholeheartedly agree. Unless there is a unanimous, unequivocal consensus that the SR-71 revolutionizes the current landscape of portable amps, I'll stick with my Predator. Portable amps have decent resale value as well
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #578 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you guys using to measure burn-in time? Is a digital clock more reliable or is analog better? Thanks!

Oh man you are old school. Of course we use RFC-1035 NTP hitting NIST servers that supply UTC messages based on atomic oscillators located in Boulder, Colorado ... paid for by your tax dollars.

I used to just plug stuff in and leave it there, 24x7, connected to an FM receiver (rap stations are pretty close to pink noise). After 10+ days or so I would say that's 250 hours. (user1029 just made the same point). But you would still make fun of this, wouldn't you?

HP's have mechanical elements that do seem to change over time IMHO. As for electronics, you know the arguments about capacitors as well as I do. On most audio forums the best posters seem to agree "yea, burn in of capacitors is a small but real effect". We seem to hear it with the Pedator. Who knows?

Consider this:

No animals are harmed. The electricity use is minimal. No one is taking our money for snake-oil when we burn in. It makes us feel good, like we are part of a secret society that knows how to handle our stuff. It's fun. It's like Pascal's Wager -- safer to do than no do (the Yoda version).

Let it be.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #579 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by user1029 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wholeheartedly agree. Unless there is a unanimous, unequivocal consensus that the SR-71 revolutionizes the current landscape of portable amps, I'll stick with my Predator. Portable amps have decent resale value as well
wink.gif

The Predator is highly praised by everyone; no doubt it is a fine amp that I would be very happy with.

I suspect that Mr. Samuels is up to something good, so might as well wait until the 71a arrives.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #580 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the body red or black?

Black body with red endcaps to exactly match the i7. The branding/engraving looks great on the black. My cables from moon-audio and brainsalad also use red-black techflex, so the cables match!

Gotta steal the camera back from my wife and take some pix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you look like Snoopy when you dance?

Much worse. Not gonna put it on YouTube. Joe Cool I ain't.

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #581 of 723
here is where you guys are off base, caps require power cycles to form. Leaving you amp on 24/7 does not effectively form your cap as there is no power cycle on them off with rest. So basically this is most likely a case of mental burn in combined with your head compensating for your expectation. It would be a great idea for folks to read up and educate yourself prior to making claims like these.
Once again big caps in small amps that "require" 1000+ hours of burn in by members that don't even understand cap forming should be taken with a giant sized grain of salt. Just curious why would an amp manufacter include a cap in a design that is so out of spec with the voltage/current that the amp produces? Bueller?

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #582 of 723
Quote:

I received mine the following day I got in contact and sent payment to Mr. Samuels
eek.gif

Talk about fast

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #583 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_eleven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Predator is highly praised by everyone; no doubt it is a fine amp that I would be very happy with.

I suspect that Mr. Samuels is up to something good, so might as well wait until the 71a arrives.

That's a pretty loose definition of "everyone"

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #585 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here is where you guys are off base, caps require power cycles to form. Leaving you amp on 24/7 does not effectively form your cap as there is no power cycle on them off with rest. So basically this is most likely a case of mental burn in combined with your head compensating for your expectation. It would be a great idea for folks to read up and educate yourself prior to making claims like these.
Once again big caps in small amps that "require" 1000+ hours of burn in by members that don't even understand cap forming should be taken with a giant sized grain of salt. Just curious why would an amp manufacter include a cap in a design that is so out of spec with the voltage/current that the amp produces? Bueller?

Those power cycles: isn't that what HeadphoneAddict or someone else has suggested?? I mean, let the Predator play, then turn it off to let the cap form???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back