RSA Apache Impressions (with nice pic)
Sep 25, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #76 of 405
vcoheda:

With the low gain position, are you able to bring the volume up gradually, or does it come on fairly fast on the knob (i.e. with the knob barley turned up at all, is the music very low or already pretty loud)?

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #77 of 405
the volume on the low gain position is pretty low and moves gradually - that is, it allows more fine tuning in between the steps. on low gain, a comfortable setting is anywhere from 10-1. on medium, i am usually at 9-11.

Sep 25, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #78 of 405
SR-71 Panorama,

With the UEs I mostly use the low gain setting at 7-9; occasionally I have used the medium gain setting at 7. I find that the steps on the low gain are very gradual. I have not noticed any sound quality difference between the low and medium gain settings. So the gain works just fine.

Since I do not own a pair (at least not yet), I do not know how the UE-11s would sound with the Apache. I would say that the bass with the UE-10s is excellent. It sounds natural. I tried listening to some Bach organ music, and the bass certainly seemed to go way down. I do not find the bass wanting in any way, and in fact my main concern with the UE-11s would be that the bass would be overemphasized. But I am guessing that the only way for me to find this out will be to buy a pair and listen to them on the Apache.

ctemkin

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #79 of 405
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I guess there are no more excuses for avoiding this amp
icon10.gif

I've batted around a few possibilities, and I think Im gonna join Club Apache. It just makes the most sense. God knows when I will actually be able to purchase, but hopefully before winter.

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #81 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I guess there are no more excuses for avoiding this amp
icon10.gif

I've batted around a few possibilities, and I think Im gonna join Club Apache. It just makes the most sense. God knows when I will actually be able to purchase, but hopefully before winter.

Congratulations
biggrin.gif
, we welcome you to the club. You may want to talk with Ray about which chipset would be best. I have the National Semiconductor LME 47910NA burning in while I am out of town. From my time last Sunday with this chipset, it was already to sound very good.

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #85 of 405
I skimmed your link and it looks like you have your source on the bare table. You could maybe get a Symposium amp platform or something similar. It may make a difference, I don't know.

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #86 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got mine yesterday and it is truly quite beautiful- to look at and to listen to. I have found that it responds to power cord changes, so that might be a possible slippery slope to move towards.
smily_headphones1.gif

first. congrats on the purchase. the apache is truly an excellent amp. it amazes me how good it sounds each time i listen to it. next, what power cords have you used and what works best (in your system). i tried only two so far. i used a pretty thick after market one (nothing too expensive) and the sound was too boomy for me. i preferred a much narrower quality stock power cord. i recently purchased a decent looking silver power cord - should arrive next week - and am curious to see how that responds.

Quote:

I skimmed your link and it looks like you have your source on the bare table. You could maybe get a Symposium amp platform or something similar. It may make a difference, I don't know.

i would be totally open to using something under my G08. but those platforms while very nice and impressive looking are not cheap. the cheapest one - the Svelte Shelf - is still $300 before shipping. maybe there is something more reasonably priced that does the same thing. i mean if i knew for sure it would make a difference, i would consider it at that price. but that is just not the case.

edit: it seems that they come up for sale on audiogon now and again for $200 or under. so maybe i will just keep a look out and if something pops up decide then.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #87 of 405
as of now, i have my components - G08 > Apache power supply > Apache amp - stacked. i have read that this is not optimal (true? i don't know). so i just ordered this to separate the player from the Apache.

bl304-02.jpg

it is actually a little bigger than i thought (7" H x 23 3/4" W x 20 1/3" D), but if the measurements are accurate, it should fit (just barely) on my table where the components now sit. even if it doesn't make any difference in terms of sound, i think it is a nice looking piece.

the item was purchased here and they have other height sizes, as well as the same product but with 4 poles instead of 3.

http://www.standsandmounts.com/index...OD&ProdID=2554

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #88 of 405
Not a bad price. I think in the 'old' apache thread some one had their power supply on some sort of magnesium or other metal, cylindrical blocks, with tungsten-carbide balls on top. Those may work just as well as platforms with the Meridian. Then again maybe not, IDK.

It would be cool if the CD player fit under the table, to maximize space. Any idea if that would fit?

....waiting for pics when the table arrives...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #89 of 405
Quote:

Not a bad price. I think in the 'old' apache thread some one had their power supply on some sort of magnesium or other metal, cylindrical blocks, with tungsten-carbide balls on top. Those may work just as well as platforms with the Meridian.
smily_headphones1.gif

That would be me. The platform is cheaper so I would try it first. I did try 4 vs. 3 of the carbon graphite and three worked just as well. Given the stability of my stand already, the difference with and without the tuneblocks is difficult to hear. However, I just received my balanced RAL cable this week so I will see if balanced makes a difference.

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #90 of 405
Vcoheda,

The two power chords that I have tried to date (2 days only
biggrin.gif
) are the Volex 17604 and the Audience Powerchord.

While the Volex provided a warm, easy organic sound, I missed the better defined images provided by the Audience. The sound stage was also wider with the Audience.

I have to admit that I might be biased since the Audience has proven to my favourite power chord to date.

Will try to post some pics soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back