RSA Apache Impressions (with nice pic)
Oct 24, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #136 of 405
yeah. i should call. my tentative plan is to go to the NY meet with my Apache, do some sort of informal comparison between mine and ray's, which i assume will have the new op-amp, and then decide if i want mine to be changed. and if i do, ray can just take my Apache home with him. that's my plan - not sure if any of it will work. a few assumptions are there. we'll see.

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #137 of 405
Having received one of the first few sets having the internal mod and new National Semi opamps, I have to say that the sound is really good!

If this mod adds a little warmth to the sound, I'm glad i got this version.
smily_headphones1.gif

The balanced outputs sound great and even when level matched with the single ended output, sound superior to the single ended to me. More air, wider soundstage, greater separation and better control over the bass.
600smile.gif

So far, my favourite balanced headphone from the Sennheiser family is the HD600 with Equinox followed closely by the Cardas. The HD650 balanced with Equinox has a creamier, fuller sound that suits some recordings but I still keep coming back to the HD600s.

This amp has got me seriously thinking about balancing some of my other cans.
frown.gif

In my setup, the Apache also does double duty as a great pre-amp for the PS Audio HCA-2 driving the K1000.
k1000smile.gif

Some pictures of the Apache at work:

BedroomRigOct07.jpg

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #138 of 405
Nice rig, but the MPX3 is looking lonely!

Oct 24, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #141 of 405
If I had been told this was a $1,000 upgrade, I would have easily believed it (and bought it). I have Stax 007t/Omegas so I am familiar with tube sound, and the National Semi opamp mod definitely gives the Apache a welcome tubey golden glow, in every positive sense of the word.
I hear no loss of quality in any area from the previous opamp I had. The Apache is now a very wonderful amp.

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #142 of 405
Tbln:

yeah. nice rig. the marantz looks good. you know there is a new model coming out (the SA-11s2). what's the player under the mpx3 and what do you use to drive the K1000 - the Apache. if so, how does that work. good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgs9200m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had been told this was a $1,000 upgrade, I would have easily believed it (and bought it). I have Stax 007t/Omegas so I am familiar with tube sound, and the National Semi opamp mod definitely gives the Apache a welcome tubey golden glow, in every positive sense of the word. I hear no loss of quality in any area from the previous opamp I had. The Apache is now a very wonderful amp.

ray said the new op-amp + mod would give a warmer and more spacious sound but with no loss of detail. sounds like all gain with no loss. but i really like the sound of my Apache and am reluctant to change it without first hearing the new op-amp. however, a "tubey golden glow" sounds nice.
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #143 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tbln:

yeah. nice rig. the marantz looks good. you know there is a new model coming out (the SA-11s2). what's the player under the mpx3 and what do you use to drive the K1000 - the Apache. if so, how does that work. good.
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

My equipment have actually 'progressed' over the years since I discovered this strange, new world of headphones and I believe that this current rig should keep me happy for quite a while. I hope?
blink.gif

TubeRigSE.jpg

[size=xx-small]Single ended tube goodness : Singlepower MPX3 SLAM,Marantz SA8260[/size]

SSBalancedRig.jpg

[size=xx-small]Balanced solid state amplification: Marantz SA11S1, The Apache, PS Audio HCA-2[/size]

This system is hooked up as such: SA11S1-> Slinkylinks XLR -> Apache -> Kimber Hero XLR -> HCA-2 -> K1000.

The K1000/HCA-2 pairing is quite synergistic. Grain free highs and great mids. It only doesn't handle the lowest bass as well. Sounds great for much of the vocal, acoustic and chamber music I listen to.

I had previously tried the Rotel RB1072 (another Class D amp ), and it provided one of the most satisfying bass foundations with the K1000. Too bad the mids and higher frequency was not up to speed.
frown.gif

I am quite happy with the SA11S1, even though the S2 is forthcoming. In all honesty, I have hooked up both Marantz players (single ended) and while there was a difference (favouring the SA11S1), it definitely did not reflect the difference in price. I would like to believe the same holds true for the move to the S2.

Oh yes, one last thought. All the recent controversy about the use of opamps in higher priced amplification, design choices etc seemed to have stirred up a hornet's nest about the 'legitimacy' of the Apache.

Irrespective of the different positions offered, the bottom line is that the Apache sounds good to me.

While I can certainly appreciate the academic arguments about the superiority of one approach over another, isn't the enjoyment of the music what this hobby is all about? We must not forget that the equipment should be the means, not the end.

I guess this means I have to take my signature more seriously and get back to enjoying the music.
icon10.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #144 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes, one last thought. All the recent controversy about the use of opamps in higher priced amplification, design choices etc seemed to have stirred up a hornet's nest about the 'legitimacy' of the Apache.

Irrespective of the different positions offered, the bottom line is that the Apache sounds good to me.

yes. the Apache has fully convinced me that op-amp designs are not inferior to discrete ones. design while important is secondary to implementation.

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #145 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by electrathecat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had to chime in here. Just got my Apache a few hours ago, and even though I'm listening to it single-ended (my balanced Alex v.3 Qualia cables haven't come in yet) and without any breaking-in I must say that I'm deeply impressed.
tongue.gif
I'm not an irrational kneejerk RSA fanboy (though I do love Ray's customer service and the professional build quality of his products), as sometimes I find them great (SR71) and sometimes merely good (Stealth), but the Apache truly is the real deal. The sound quality is as gorgeous as the amp's aesthetics, and it should only get better with time. Can't wait!

P.S. I must give Ray additional props for his fantastic customer relations. I bought the Apache lightly used a week ago, and Ray found out about it and volunteered free of charge to replace a top panel (slight cosmetic irregularity) and get it up to the latest specs (including the latest op-amps, perfect for the Qualias). Ray is a true gentleman, and I am one profoundly satisfied customer!

Interesting. When Sleestack downgraded from the SS-1 and plugged his Qualias into the Apache he thought it sounded so bad that he sold his pair to me. He only rocks the HD650s now.

Oct 25, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #146 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. When Sleestack downgraded from the SS-1 and plugged his Qualias into the Apache he thought it sounded so bad that he sold his pair to me. He only rocks the HD650s now.

Wow! Don't know what to say. I find the Apache phenomenal with the Qualias (much, much better than my Supra or upgraded MPX3, regardless of different tube combos, better than the GS-1, etc.). The new op-amps likely make some difference, but probably not THAT much. At some point it's just personal preference. To each his own I guess.
tongue.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #147 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes. the Apache has fully convinced me that op-amp designs are not inferior to discrete ones. design while important is secondary to implementation.

I agree with this finding. Perhaps on some hyper-technical level discrete designs are (or maybe were until the latest op-amps?) preferable to op-amp designs, but unless you're an electrical engineer what really matters is the sound. The build quality of the Apache is impeccable, so maybe it optimizes what op-amp designs are capable of. In any event, one should just listen to the Apache and decide for one's self. What really matters isn't validation from others, but simply how good it sounds to you.

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #148 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Guess this highlights the importance of personal preferences in selecting equipment.

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #149 of 405
i just sent my Apache to ray. he is going to install the new op-amp, which is supposed to add more detail and a larger sound stage. i also am keeping the older op-amp (the LT1028), so i can experiment between the two and therefore decide for myself which sounds best in my system. i also opted to leave in the present caps instead of the different ones (the mod he was referring to), which is supposed to add more warmth to the amp's sound signature. i actually think the amp is warm enough or maybe it is my G08 (which is said to have a warm sound) that makes it so. not sure, but i didn't want to change the sound too much.

hopefully, i will have the amp back in a week or two. until then, i am musicless. that's okay. good to give the ears a rest now and then.

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #150 of 405
If you are just having the chips switched out, why send it to Ray? It is pretty easy to switch out the chips. Ray talked me through it and it took less than 5 minutes.

Ray has a G08 as well so his comments would most likely be based on listening with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back