RS1i is finally within my budget ...
Nov 1, 2011 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
This sucks - I have the money in the bank, and the local distributor has dropped the asking price by about 300 bucks on what they were 12 months ago. Still not a cheap headphone, but I cant think of anything else that comes close for 680 AUD in the era of the T1 and various orthos, all well over 1K USD. Talk me out of it, for God's sake

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 73
Thanks Katun - I know all about diminishing returns (owned the 325is for 6 months) and I know some people just dont 'get' the Grado approach - thats cool. Life would be a lot simpler if we had more headphone meets in Oz.

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 73

Quote:
This sucks - I have the money in the bank, and the local distributor has dropped the asking price by about 300 bucks on what they were 12 months ago. Still not a cheap headphone, but I cant think of anything else that comes close for 680 AUD in the era of the T1 and various orthos, all well over 1K USD. Talk me out of it, for God's sake

Have you spoken to Nik @ Audiophile within the last 3-5 days?

He's notorious for leaving the specials on the website for many months when the sole 2-3 pairs
on *special* were sold within the first few days.

Example? Me and a pair of GS1000i's. He does not have any but the special is still there as of
today.

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 73
Agreed - I have dealt with Nik before, and he can be a slippery customer. Interesting that he only dropped the 325is by 10% but that reduction in the price of the RS1i is too-good-to-be-true. The last time I ordered Grados, he accepted my money and I had to wait 6 weeks for delivery - no apology, no nothing.

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 73

Quote:
Agreed - I have dealt with Nik before, and he can be a slippery customer. Interesting that he only dropped the 325is by 10% but that reduction in the price of the RS1i is too-good-to-be-true. The last time I ordered Grados, he accepted my money and I had to wait 6 weeks for delivery - no apology, no nothing.

Consider yourself fortunate!

My plan is to ring him in the next few months and place an order for the GS1000i, thing is upon my
second dealing with him when I sourced the 325i ~ I originally wanted the RS2i ~ he let me know
that they were already on order for delivery in six months and that a 'special order' was not on
the cards.

Wouldn't be surprised if I got the same blurb when I ring about my 'special order' for the GS1000i's
even with the offer of extra cash over retail.

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 73
Could always ask him about being the first man in Oz to have delivery of a PS500 
smily_headphones1.gif

Price on the 325i has gone up though $10 ~ I paid $440 cash in person about 2 years ago.

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 73
Thats quite the insane price for the RS1i. GET THEM!! =D

But only if you love your Grado's.

Does audiophile have a returns policy?? You really need to try them out first, both aurally and emotionally.

Sometimes its the emotional attachments that make them sound better!!

Otherwise, a DT880, K701 or ATH AD1000/AD900 would suit better

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 73
Nothing sounds like a Grado sorry 
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 73
I already have the AD900, but there is a weird little man inside me (!) saying that I actually *need* a hard-to-drive headphone instead of another from the 32-ohm stable. I know Grados benefit from an amp, but I'm thinking of something along the lines of the DT880-600, a headphone I have long lusted after.

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 73
The DT880 600 ohms does sound quite nice :) They also aren't as expensive now esp in the used market as they usually go for around $200 or so which is definitely cheaper than the RS1i if money is an issue.

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 73
Money is always an issue, but its weird - we are so heavily conditioned to the concept that the RS1i is a $950+ headphone here in Oz (Amazon and others wont sell to us) that to see it at this price really jabs me right in the 'buy' section of my brain. Resistance is usually futile, but I'm going to try to think about other things tonite and hope it fades.

Predictably, the money I have laid out for various toys over the last couple of months would have easily equalled the asking price of the Grados - I suspect that I would be better off just giving my money to a charity that feeds the homeless at Xmas time.

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #14 of 73
Quote:
Money is always an issue, but its weird - we are so heavily conditioned to the concept that the RS1i is a $950+ headphone here in Oz (Amazon and others wont sell to us) that to see it at this price really jabs me right in the 'buy' section of my brain. Resistance is usually futile, but I'm going to try to think about other things tonite and hope it fades.

That means their sales tactics are working.

Don't give in to their door-in-the-face psychology!

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #15 of 73
Yep, that's why Nik always 'under supplies' ~ low risk for him meaning that he won't be sitting on stock
and he knows you'll be back..

Oh yes, you'll be back alright 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back