RS-1's, DT 990's On There Way !!
Oct 3, 2005 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

cheechoz

Headphoneus Supremus
rs1smile.gif
I finally took the dive, and ordered my dream cans, the RS-1. I also have a pair of dt 990's coming. Being familiar with the Grado sound, what can I expect to gain from my 325i's.

Also how do the Beyers compare to the RS-1's?
rs1smile.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 16
RS-1's sound great however I hope you have a better source than an iAudio X5. If you want to really hear what they are capable of a DAP won't cut it imo.

Oct 3, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColStripe
RS-1's sound great however I hope you have a better source than an iAudio X5. If you want to really hear what they are capable of a DAP won't cut it imo.

Well I am listening to music encoded in flac (lossless), I only listen through my line out, going to a Emmeline SR-71 amp.

Believe me, I would love to have some higher end source components, but for now, this and my PC's audigy 4 sound card will have to do.

What are some upgrades that won't burn to much of a hole in my wallet?

Oct 3, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 16
congratulations on your purchases!
biggrin.gif

dont worry, the rs-1 will still sound good out of a DAP; but do remember - it has the potential to sound great!

Oct 3, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 16
I have both the 990 & the th PS1. The PS-1 has the famous Grado liquid mid's, and is a very well detailed headphone. Also it has deep solid bass, and tremendous treble extension. The 990 also has deep bass, it doesn't go any deeper than the PS1, but it does have even more quantity in the bass department. The treble is detailed, but not quite as extended as the PS1. The 990 can't compete in the mids, with the PS1, but then what can? One of the things that separates the Grado sound from that of the Beyer is the sense of warm transparency, especially in the mid's.

All in all, considering the modest price of the 990's, and the fact that they don't have to make very many apologies in term of sound they are an outstanding bargain. Provided they have some sort of quality amplification.

- augustwest

Oct 3, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
I have both the 990 & the th PS1. The PS-1 has the famous Grado liquid mid's, and is a very well detailed headphone. Also it has deep solid bass, and tremendous treble extension. The 990 also has deep bass, it doesn't go any deeper than the PS1, but it does have even more quantity in the bass department. The treble is detailed, but not quite as extended as the PS1. The 990 can't compete in the mids, with the PS1, but then what can? One of the things that separates the Grado sound from that of the Beyer is the sense of warm transparency, especially in the mid's.

All in all, considering the modest price of the 990's, and the fact that they don't have to make very many apologies in term of sound they are an outstanding bargain. Provided they have some sort of quality amplification.

- augustwest

Thanks, thats what I wanted to here, and take care of those PS-1's. Someday, just maybe someday!!!!
rs1smile.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 16
"Cheechoz"

You made two good choices in picking headphones, and you will enjoy both. The Grados when you need some refinement, and the Beyers, when just need some good old fashioned "rough & ready" fun.

happy listening!

- augustwest

Oct 3, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 16
Love my RS-1s. They maintain a lot of detail but loose the harshness of the 325i. I found a lot of rock music to be not too listenable with the 325i but it sounds great with the RS-1s.

Oct 3, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 16
I've only heard the RS-1 once which was yesterday on my home rig and I had trouble enjoying them because of too much blending of upper mids and highs. They didn't seem to separate and layer as well in this area which stuck out on the few short things I listened to and made it hard for me to enjoy them. I think that I have a minority opinion though so don't let me get ya down. You should be pretty happy with your new cans.

Quote:

rs1's are probablly my second favorite headphones. they are really special

What's your first?

Oct 3, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
Love my RS-1s. They maintain a lot of detail but loose the harshness of the 325i. I found a lot of rock music to be not too listenable with the 325i but it sounds great with the RS-1s.

So you would say the bowls all the way then. I have a pair of Todd flats that I find works fairly good with my 325i's. For some reason, when I listen through my SR-71, the highs are a bit more pronounced, so I like the flats for that.
rs1smile.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 16
lol i love how people ask after splurging. wish i had the cash to get stuff like that all at once. hope you enjoy your cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back