RS-1 Appreciation Thread starts here!!!!
Jun 4, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #601 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone here used an RS-1 with an M3 (either with an S11 or without) ?

I'm using the M3+S11 with AD843's and I'm loving the sound.. really brought it out compared to the essence stx amp and the 3move amp...

I'm curious if anyone found a better opamp combo or if they heard a CMOY/RA1 and an M3 and can comment?

I've owned a pair of RS-1s for about 2 years. Probably several hundred hours of listening thru a M^3 + S11 psu. 8610 and AD627/627 opamps are about all I've used in the M^3.

IMO the opamps in the M^3 don't contribute nearly as much to the sound signature as they do when they directly drive a load in a Cmoy type circuit. In the M^3, the opamps provide voltage gain but virtually no current. The mosfet drive stage has nearly infinite input impedance. I'm sure there are different opinions, but any good opamp is indistinguishable to me in the M^3.
The components that make a bit of difference are the volume pot (try a goldpoint), the rail caps (Elna Silmic II are my favorite) and the PSU (sigma 11).

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #602 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone here used an RS-1 with an M3 (either with an S11 or without) ?

I'm using the M3+S11 with AD843's and I'm loving the sound.. really brought it out compared to the essence stx amp and the 3move amp...

I'm curious if anyone found a better opamp combo or if they heard a CMOY/RA1 and an M3 and can comment?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bada bing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned a pair of RS-1s for about 2 years. Probably several hundred hours of listening thru a M^3 + S11 psu. 8610 and AD627/627 opamps are about all I've used in the M^3.

IMO the opamps in the M^3 don't contribute nearly as much to the sound signature as they do when they directly drive a load in a Cmoy type circuit. In the M^3, the opamps provide voltage gain but virtually no current. The mosfet drive stage has nearly infinite input impedance. I'm sure there are different opinions, but any good opamp is indistinguishable to me in the M^3.
The components that make a bit of difference are the volume pot (try a goldpoint), the rail caps (Elna Silmic II are my favorite) and the PSU (sigma 11).

I've tried Naamanf's M^3 with Sigma 11 PSU to drive my RS-1 last summer, and compared that to my maxed WA6 before I upgraded the tubes or had the pseudo dual power supply done to my WA6. The M^3 was better, but I was using an Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 which is nothing close to the sound of my Sophia Princess 274b rectifier. The WA6 had only about 500 hours at the time, and burn-in was a recommended 800-1000 for the Vcaps and Blackgates - close enough.

The experience made me disappointed in my WA6 as the M^3 had no problem keeping up or beating it (it also beat the DV336i and the headphone out of Apogee mini-DAC). The very next day I shipped off the WA6 to have the Pseudo Dual Power Supply mod and I upgraded the rectifier, and the WA6 was totally transformed. However, that doesn't make the M^3 worse, it just shows how much work it takes to get something else to sound noticeably better. I believe he had a combo of OPA627 and 637 in the M^3 at the time, along with a bass adjustment knob.

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #603 of 721
Wow.. thanks for that info HPA... just reaffirms what I'm hearing then
smily_headphones1.gif
Magic

Jul 23, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #604 of 721
ive had my RS1 for about a week now...got them in trade....i have the classic B (classic with serial number #885).

Ive really enjoyed them with almost any type of jazz of light guitar..however, it has a strange tone that just odd for some types of music...like a friend pointed out that Metallica really doesnt sound great on these.

I mean, dont get me wrong...i have a pair of 650s to use for music like that...and the RS1 is doing exactly what the 650s dont...which is jazz music for the most part.

People try out metallica and let me know how you find it sounds...

Gear im using with RS1 is listed in my sig...all up to date.

Jul 23, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #605 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive had my RS1 for about a week now...got them in trade....i have the classic B (classic with serial number #885).

Ive really enjoyed them with almost any type of jazz of light guitar..however, it has a strange tone that just odd for some types of music...like a friend pointed out that Metallica really doesnt sound great on these.

I mean, dont get me wrong...i have a pair of 650s to use for music like that...and the RS1 is doing exactly what the 650s dont...which is jazz music for the most part.

People try out metallica and let me know how you find it sounds...

Gear im using with RS1 is listed in my sig...all up to date.

I personally didn't noticed something wrong with metallica's albums on the rs-1, sounds great like all the rest of my metal collection. the older metallica's albums like "justice.." and "master.." are a little bass shy so if your rs-1 are lacking in bass they can sound pretty harsh with those albums.

my RS-1 are tape moded and therefore i have plenty of bass and they sound amazing with metal and rock records. I really recommend everyone who didn't try this mod to try it, it makes the RS1 perfect IMO.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #606 of 721
Alright, I love my ATH-ES7. I love it's slightly frontal mids, deep bass and sparkling highs, however, I want something that is maybe even more aggressive in the mids and even more sparkly in the highs--I think the RS1 might be for me, based on what people are saying. Can you recommend a lower-end grado heapdhone that provides a good taste of the sound signature the RS1 will provide?

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #607 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I love my ATH-ES7. I love it's slightly frontal mids, deep bass and sparkling highs, however, I want something that is maybe even more aggressive in the mids and even more sparkly in the highs--I think the RS1 might be for me, based on what people are saying. Can you recommend a lower-end grado heapdhone that provides a good taste of the sound signature the RS1 will provide?

Go for a 225, as compared to the RS1 it carries a similar sound signature but the woody (RS1) improves on soundstage, details, instrument separation and extended highs with a smidge more bass. The difference is present but not to a huge degree.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #608 of 721
Quote:

SR325i(s) might be what you are looking for especially if you want that extra sparkle in the highs. the tone is different from the RS1 because it doesn't have that warm, wooden, resonant flavor. but it will give you a good taste of what the RS1 is like (in terms of quality) and also give you a "feel" of the grado house sound.

SR225 sounds closer to the RS1 than the SR325i, but the SR325i is closer in refinement and detail. either would be a good taste of what the RS1 is like.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #609 of 721
Do you think the 325 will be more aggressive than the ES7? Also, how would you describe the bass of the 325? Is the 325 just good for rock? OR do you think it is good for pop and electronica, too?

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #610 of 721
Quote:

Do you think the 325 will be more aggressive than the ES7? Also, how would you describe the bass of the 325? Is the 325 just good for rock? OR do you think it is good for pop and electronica, too?

never heard the ES7, but the 325i is definitely an fast and aggressive sounding headphone. the bass is good for everything.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #612 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
never heard the ES7, but the 325i is definitely an fast and aggressive sounding headphone. the bass is good for everything.

Thanks again!

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #614 of 721
Quote:

Hey semiaudiophile, do you think the 225 has as sparkly highs as the 325?

no it doesn't. the SR225 is more of a neutral Grado. it's got that classic Grado house sound found in the whole prestige line except the SR325i. the SR325i is known to be quite the "odd ball" in the line up having a brighter, crisper, faster sound signature. if you really love sparkly highs, go with the SR325i, you won't be disapppointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back