RP-21 are they really that good!?
Jun 16, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #16 of 28
how's the positioning on the rp-21's? i'm looking at getting headphones around that price range for mainly gaming / movie / anime use, and of course some music. i've been looking at the dt770's; should i be considering these?

Jun 16, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 , These are probably the DR150's of 2007.

Yes they are, and that's not a bad thing to be. These are a great headphone for $100.00. They're not going to dethrone the big players, but they do so many things right for the price. I like them a little better than the DR150's that I raved about when they were new. I still think the DR150 is an excellent open phone for the money, and I think the RP-21 is an excellent closed phone for the money. Sometimes the flavor of the month is popular for good reason.

Jun 16, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #18 of 28
I don't understand why people tend to automatically denigrate a FOTM type of head or earphone. There's a reason why people get excited over certain headphones. In this case it is because the performance to price ratio is very high with the RP-21s. If you keep that in perspective and stop comparing them to $200+ headphones, you are in for a treat. Same thing with the Goldring DR150s. They are a terrific bargain but they certainly aren't as good as DT990s or the like. Anybody expecting so is foolish.

Jun 16, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmike34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont know, I just received mine from fullcompass (ordered monday) and though its only been an hour and they're supposed to improve with burn-in, I find them a bit Bass-shy and I wouldnt consider myself a basshead. It might just be the rap/hip hop that ive been listening to...

blink.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #20 of 28
It occurs to me that most who cry FOTM have never heard the product. Were that Head-fi were more about commenting on actual observation than why personal experience (and thus, knowledge) should be avoided.

Jun 16, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #21 of 28
I hope no one took my comments as denigrating the RP21 - I like them a LOT, as I have stated. They're keepers. I was just trying to provide some context.

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand why people tend to automatically denigrate a FOTM type of head or earphone. There's a reason why people get excited over certain headphones. In this case it is because the performance to price ratio is very high with the RP-21s. If you keep that in perspective and stop comparing them to $200+ headphones, you are in for a treat. Same thing with the Goldring DR150s. They are a terrific bargain but they certainly aren't as good as DT990s or the like. Anybody expecting so is foolish.

Both the RP21 and the Goldring DR150 are great cans for the money. If all I had were those two I would be content.

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both the RP21 and the Goldring DR150 are great cans for the money. If all I had were those two I would be content.

I agree, and I own both
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It occurs to me that most who cry FOTM have never heard the product. Were that Head-fi were more about commenting on actual observation than why personal experience (and thus, knowledge) should be avoided.

How are you liking the Beyer pads Al? I like mine a lot. I notice no ill effects, and more of a comfort upgrade than I expected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, and I own both
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh but your DR150's have been sprinkled with magic pixie dust, and are even better than stock IMO.
And I don't think warrior aimed that comment at you at all. He's just tired of the people that label something FOTM and therefore assume that's a bad thing, and we're all just following some bandwagon blindly. You nailed it, in that they're exceptional for $100.00 headphones, but don't expect them to be exceptional when compared to $300.00-$400.00 phones. I'm not sure what people expect for $100.00.

Jun 16, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh but your DR150's have been sprinkled with magic pixie dust, and are even better than stock IMO.

No doubt!
lambda.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #26 of 28
I asked this another thread but I'll ask here too, how much more bass do the 22's have than the 21's? I'm a huge bass head and like extremely prominent bass, is it worth the extra $20?

Jun 16, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are you liking the Beyer pads Al? I like mine a lot. I notice no ill effects, and more of a comfort upgrade than I expected.

My only ill effects are comparing them to the HE60.
orphsmile.gif

Seriously, since I only listen with the Zen, unamped, they sound pretty darn good, and are almost as comfy as the Senns. I am looking very forward to listening to them amped with the MillettMax, still a few weeks off. The only reservation so far is may cable (a ratshack / throwin), as there was a slight problem with the upgrade cable. Warning to cable makers: Stock Neutrik and Switchcraft will NOT work with the phones, so, when I find the right connector, I'll comment more on the sound. The pair I got did not come with a stock cable (never bothered to follow up), but I'd not use it anyway.

So far, me likee a lot, FOTM aside. These are the closed cans I wanted from Sennheiser - too bad they wouldn't deliver, but sweet that these cost half of what Senn would have charged. Again, everyone, this is my PORTABLE rig, and all comments from me will be with that in mind, as my perms will always torch anything mobile.

ps - Steve, I will add some Denons to the office rig with the MillettMax... just waiting on boards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back