RoyalMail is a rip off.
Mar 21, 2007 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Cid

100+ Head-Fier
I just sent a pair of HD595's on a journey to the USA. It cost me £16! I was expecting maybe £10 at most, but £16 woah? Package weighs 1.2kg. Remind me never to ship international again.
mad.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 27
o.O It's definitely more expensive that 16 pounds if I send a 1.2kg package to the US from here, even with the Air Parcel 9-14 day method, nevermind EMS or express shipping. Which service did you ship by?

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
o.O It's definitely more expensive that 16 pounds if I send a 1.2kg package to the US from here, even with the Air Parcel 9-14 day method, nevermind EMS or express shipping. Which service did you ship by?

Honestly, I have no idea. I just packaged it up and asked my mom to drop it off at the post office. Hardly worth selling them.

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 27
Over-see shipping is not cheap.
But I don't see the problem with international shipping, since the buyer most often pay the shipping costs.

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I sorta didn't expect it to cost this much. So I said I'd ship for free. Ah, well lesson learned..

Yikes! Someone got a very good deal.

I sent a HD600 with its box (hefty) to Canada last year, and it cost $25 or $27 for EMS via USPS. I don't see any reason to bear ill will towards RoyalMail for the cost of doing business.

In the US, USPS EMS starts at about $18.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 27
blink.gif
I got my K400 from the UK via Royal Mail airmail, and it was double boxed but weighed less than 0.8kg and only cost £7.99 according to the postage label. I got it in I think maybe a week or so.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 27
I'm always a bit scared shipping heavy boxes overseas. I have no issue shipping small parcels (like fountain pens, my other hobby) overseas, but large electronic equipment scares me.

Regardless, I'm always surprised when I say I'm not shipping internationally in a FS ad, and I get a PM from an international head-fi'er asking me to sell them the cans for $20 less then my asking price, shipped, tracked, and insured (inclusive of!).
blink.gif

Sorry for not responding to those types of PMs, y'all, its just that I was too busy trying to find a way to turn my mouth around backwards so I could eat my own brain.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for not responding to those types of PMs, y'all, its just that I was too busy trying to find a way to turn my mouth around backwards so I could eat my own brain.

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Honestly, I have no idea. I just packaged it up and asked my mom to drop it off at the post office. Hardly worth selling them.

Make sure you check the rates and tell your mom which to ship it by next time
wink.gif
At least here the rates differ greatly even between methods that have only a few days' difference, depending on zone (country) and weight.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regardless, I'm always surprised when I say I'm not shipping internationally in a FS ad, and I get a PM from an international head-fi'er asking me to sell them the cans for $20 less then my asking price, shipped, tracked, and insured (inclusive of!).
blink.gif

I don't understand that either. It's especially bad on inexpensive items, where some people want to pay so little that it only just barely covers the shipping, leaving you with no money leftover, and without the item.
blink.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Well, I sorta didn't expect it to cost this much. So I said I'd ship for free. Ah, well lesson learned..

Next time check the actual shipping rates and alternatives before you decide the selling price (shipped)...

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 27
I just got a screaming deal from Cid, 595's shipped for free from Scotland to Boulder... Thanks for that, Cid! Heck, he shipped them the same morning he got payment. Expect some excellent feedback. I do hope you use the money from the sale to find something you like a little better.

On a related note, did your mom give you any indication of when the package was supposed to arrive? My patience has about run out waiting for that echeck to clear. If not, that's no problem. I may be impatient, but I love surprises
600smile.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a screaming deal from Cid, 595's shipped for free from Scotland to Boulder... Thanks for that, Cid! Heck, he shipped them the same morning he got payment. Expect some excellent feedback. I do hope you use the money from the sale to find something you like a little better.

On a related note, did your mom give you any indication of when the package was supposed to arrive? My patience has about run out waiting for that echeck to clear. If not, that's no problem. I may be impatient, but I love surprises
600smile.gif

As long as you enjoy them, that's the main thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh and no sorry she didn't ask. She was telling me how unhelpful the lady at the post office was, so she didn't ask. Hopefully at the price I paid they should arrive quickly. Let me know when they arrive.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back