Router for PS3?
Jan 26, 2009 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a 20GB PS3 and I want to connect it to a router. I connected it to a Belkin N router and that did not work. It could not acquire an IP address. I got the router free when I attended a computer seminar so maybe that tells me something. Ever since I installed the router sometimes my PCs can connect to the internet and sometimes I have to reboot everything including the cable modem. I'd like to use a Draft N router that has gig ports. Can anybody recommend one that they use with a PS3?

Thanks

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 13
Hmm, I have a 360, not a PS3, but I like the Linksys WRT610N that I have. Honestly, there should be no reason why it won't work with the Belkin router though. Have you tried mucking around with the settings some?

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 13
You might check in the router configuration that it is not set to be a dedicated "N" network and confirm it will accept "G" type signals which is the wireless spec that PS3 uses.

...or are you trying to just hook the PS3 to ethernet wire?

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidtripwow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I checked the settings over the weekend and everything looks ok. have it set for both G and N but I'm connecting directly to it via a network cable.

Then ignore everything I said! LOL
Did you try the PS3 Network Settings under the main settings menu?

In that menu, try the Internet COnnection Settings. I think you may need to 'turn on' the ethernet port.

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 13
FWIW, I use a D-Link DIR-655 with zero problems with my desktop, laptop, PS3 and 360 on the same network. Excellent signal and wireless speed. It goes for ~$100. I only mention because it fits all your qualifications.

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 13
I just plug my PS3 into an Apple Airport Express which does double duty streaming itunes.

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 13
I did a firmware update but still no go. I tried changing the speed and duplex but it still won't work. The only other thing I can think of is changing the network cable which is brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back