Round 2 Mojo/Poly Loaner program
Jun 13, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #31 of 49
I don't know if there' something wrong with the poly or my phones, I can't get it to connect. I have a Samsung Galaxy s10+ and a OnePlus 5. the GoFigure app does not want to detect the poly

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #32 of 49
I was the last person using the Mojo+Poly. I used Poly with my iPhone 6S. The Poly was detected by GoFigure and the connection was quick and painless.

I didn’t have the chance to try connecting Poly to another Bluetooth source.

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #33 of 49
I don't know if there' something wrong with the poly or my phones, I can't get it to connect. I have a Samsung Galaxy s10+ and a OnePlus 5. the GoFigure app does not want to detect the poly

If you use the little pin to press and hold the setup button on the side you can reboot/factory reset the poly.

You need to wear headphones while you are doing it as the sound is not audible otherwise. The menu system is a little confusing at first, but after a few mistakes you will get the hang of it.

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #34 of 49
If you use the little pin to press and hold the setup button on the side you can reboot/factory reset the poly.

You need to wear headphones while you are doing it as the sound is not audible otherwise. The menu system is a little confusing at first, but after a few mistakes you will get the hang of it.
for almost $700 the UI on this thing sucks. I hope the lack of user friendliness is made up by its sonic performance.

Jun 15, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #37 of 49
First I want to thank Todd for sponsoring this Mojo/Poly combo tour. I received the units on Jun 3rd and spent one week of time with the combo units.

I would like to call this an impression rather than review because I think I would need more than one week to try out all the features to really form a more matured opinion about this combo unit.

So let’s start with the Mojo (Mobile Joy). I actually owned the Mojo a while ago so this is not really something new to me. In terms of sound quality there has been many positive reviews on the web. It’s a highly regarded portable DAC/amp. I did compare the Mojo with some of the portable devices I have/had, such as the iFi iDSD Nano BL, JDS C5D, AK70, Onkyo DP-X1, FIIO X5 III, and Cayin N5 ii. The Mojo is the best sounding device to my ears. It’s rich, detailed and crystal clear. I do agree with some reviewer’s comment that Mojo is one of the best sounding DAC/amp units under $1K.

Now on to the Poly. I admit that I didn’t really know much about it previously. I watched several Youtube videos and downloaded the Poly User Manual to learn how to set it up. Configuring Poly with the GoFigure app is really quite easy. It took less than 5 minutes to start listening to streaming audio on the Mojo/Poly from Spotify running on my iPhone.

Initially the sound level coming out of Mojo was very low. I had to crank Mojo way up in order to hear the music and there was an auditable hissing in the background. After a couple of minutes I realized that the volume level on my iPhone was set to very low (about 20%). The volume on the iPhone should be set to maximum when using a Bluetooth device. So after correcting the volume level on the iPhone the hissing on Mojo went away and the sound became pure and sweet.

In terms of Bluetooth connection, I had no trouble with the initial pairing between iPhone and Poly. While playing Spotify through Poly, I have not experienced any interruption or dropout. The connection between iPhone and Poly seems to be very robust. Every time I powered up Poly it always connected to iPhone. I think I did try to pair the X5iii with Poly at one time but wasn’t successful. The X5iii couldn’t detect Poly. I think that’s probably because I didn’t install GoFigure on the X5iii.

Here are my opinions about the Mojo/Poly combo.

Pros:
1. Sound quality of this combination is just outstanding. The Mojo’s FPGA DAC really makes a difference in sound quality. It is also powerful enough to drive many full-size headphones.
2. Bluetooth connectivity is robust after the initial pairing. The reliability of Bluetooth is actually quite good.

Cons:
1. The Price. Poly doesn’t do anything on its own. The current market price of $749 makes it a very expensive piece of expansion module for Mojo. Note: Poly has a micro SD card playback function although I didn’t try it during the time I had the combo units.
2. The user interface. There is no easy way to tell the volume level on the Mojo other than trying to remember the color combinations. For Poly, it seems that GoFigure app is the only way to configure or to change settings of the device.
3. The built. The way Poly is connected to Mojo made me think that Poly was a product of afterthought. I was so afraid that I may accidentally break those two plastic hooks on Poly. I think the best way to protect them is to keep them in the premium leather case. But that’s another $200 investment.

Final thoughts:
The Mojo+Poly combination produces the high quality sound and wireless capabilities at a premium price. It almost makes the combination unit operate like a display-less DAP. I really hope that Chord could design a new DAP based on the Mojo+Poly combo. Oh and I wish there is a balanced output on Mojo.

Again, many thanks to Todd for sponsoring this product tour.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #40 of 49
I was going to say this in the impression that I am working on. I wish Chord can turn the Mojo/Poly combo into a DAP.
lol..I'm already thinking this and I havn't gotten the unit yet, I'm gonna review it as a just home unit, have the server app on my android (BubbleUPnP)
ready to go. :) (although it seems like the Tidal app can stream on it's own, a lot to cover for me, doing my homework now so I can dive into this unit with no hiccups, exciting!)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #41 of 49
STOKED... is an understatement.
IMG_20190805_174259_101.jpg

Aug 6, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #42 of 49
Poly want a Cracker!?
2019-08-05 18.56.12-1.jpg
Day 1

My excitement for this gear has been over the top since I found out I had been selected for the Mojo/Poly Loaner Program...BUT, I;m typing this having spent an evening after work trying to figure out HOW TO LISTEN TO TIDAL on this thing!! Ok, let me calm down, it can't be that hard, right!? Would a subscription to ROON remedy my demise? I'm not even going there, my sole mission this short week, will be to listen to Tidal, off my smartphone, on the Chord Mojo/Poly. And whats adding salt to my wounds...a search reveals more questions!! But no Answers!! HOw here and how there, every which website..BUT NO ANSWER!!! Ok, First impressions.. the sexiest paper weight I've ever laid my eyes on.. she's a charmer. X( Ok .. gonna start all over some day this week... I will not go another evening ...trying to figure out a simple thing that could be done off my computer, smartphone, hell even my smart TV can play Tidal with no problems.. ok, done... To be continued.
2019-08-06 13.31.49.jpg 2019-08-06 12.01.10.png 2019-08-06 11.55.58.png
Day 2

Left the expensive brick at home, not taking it to work and brag how this brick cost $1200 and doesn't work but looks great, they wouldn't get it...neither do I. So on my lunch decided to give it another go, and nada, same story, not interested in internet radio Chord Mojo Poly, I can get a cheap smartphone app for that. BubbleUpnp still does not see Chord Mojo Poly as a renderer. So I'm gonna do another FACTORY RESET later tonight after Jujitsu and see if I have better luck with this cute brick. And yes I added a formatted micro SD card with just 12 FLAC files and it's taking forever to INDEX that card.. this is comical and ridiculous.
2019-08-05 22.17.37.png 2019-08-05 21.39.49.png 2019-08-05 21.35.34.png

Quess I'm off the team now for not sugar coating what I really feel about this Chord Mojo Poly, Im no kiss butt, I tell it like it is.. this is a BRICK! Shouldnt be this difficult to use a gadget..

Attachments

• 2019-08-06 13.40.42.jpg
    2019-08-06 13.40.42.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 6, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #43 of 49
Two questions.
1) Have you tried Spotify? I don't have subscription to Tidal so I have only tried Spotify with Mojo/Poly. It worked fine that way.
2) What type of smartphone are you using. I have iPhone and it worked pretty well with Mojo/Poly. I did try pairing the FiiO X5iii (an Android based DAP) to Mojo/Poly and it didn't work.

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #44 of 49
Two questions.
1) Have you tried Spotify? I don't have subscription to Tidal so I have only tried Spotify with Mojo/Poly. It worked fine that way.
2) What type of smartphone are you using. I have iPhone and it worked pretty well with Mojo/Poly. I did try pairing the FiiO X5iii (an Android based DAP) to Mojo/Poly and it didn't work.
I use Tidal for the MASTER recordings, yeah we could debate you can't tell the difference, then why spend $1200 on this unit if you can't tell. And 2nd I have an Android, let me guess, this only works on Iphones, and YOU NEED a ROON subscription?? (Pixel 3a)
Any way, I read the instructions forward and backwards and nothing works. Just the internet radio. The user who had it before me sent me a private message admitting he had problems with it as well, and like mentioned above you don't have to look far on the internet to see others had the same problem as well.

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #45 of 49
I was just trying to help. I don’t really have a good Android device to test the Ploy when I had it.

I have tried Tidal in the past. The reason I did not continue my subscription was because Spotify has more titles in the music genres that I listen to.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back