Rotel RDV-1050 or RCD-1072....
Jun 21, 2004 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

slick

100+ Head-Fier
i'm going to buy a Rotel RX-1050 stereo reciever this week, and i'm thinking about a source to use with it. at first i thinking about the RCD-1072 cd player, specs here : http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rcd1072.htm
so i called up the local retailer and he told me its $699, but i can get a deal on it if i come in, so its not the price, the dillema, the RDV-1050 dvd player is $50 less, specs here: http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rdv1050.htm
the thing is, the dvd players DVD-A also. i dont have any DVD-A discs, but its nice to know that i have that option in the future. Does anyone here think that the cd player is actually worth the $50 more, or am i crazy in thinking that and should just go with the dvd player?

Jun 27, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 5
I've never heard the Rotel RDV-1050 DVD player, but I do have the RCD-1072 and I love it. I also have the Philips 963SA, and the Rotel is a pretty large step up from that player. The bass is tighter on the Rotel, while overall detail and spaciousness is very much improved. The only downside is that the buttons are very small and the lettering is very hard to read--more than once I've pressed "Stop" when I meant to press "Play."

If you're after great redbook playback, go for the 1072.

Jun 27, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by FCJ
I've never heard the Rotel RDV-1050 DVD player, but I do have the RCD-1072 and I love it. I also have the Philips 963SA, and the Rotel is a pretty large step up from that player. The bass is tighter on the Rotel, while overall detail and spaciousness is very much improved. The only downside is that the buttons are very small and the lettering is very hard to read--more than once I've pressed "Stop" when I meant to press "Play."

If you're after great redbook playback, go for the 1072.

thanks for the advice.

i've taken the recommendation of another forum member and decided to wait a little before jumping into a source. i've considered a Denon DVD player to, but will wait a few more months to see what comes (and if prices drop on anything). i'm still considering the Rotel though.

btw, whats redbook? i've heard that term a lot and have no clue what it is.

Jun 27, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by slick
btw, whats redbook? i've heard that term a lot and have no clue what it is.

It's nothing more than regular CD playback, as opposed to SACD or DVD-A.

Given the lack of DVD-A discs, I would still advise you go for the best redbook playback you can. The 1072 won't disappoint.

Jun 27, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by FCJ
It's nothing more than regular CD playback, as opposed to SACD or DVD-A.

Given the lack of DVD-A discs, I would still advise you go for the best redbook playback you can. The 1072 won't disappoint.

i really wasnt considering the dvd player for DVD-A, but i figured DVD-A is an added perk. i'm using a PS2 for a dvd player right now, its not the best thing for watching movies. Rotel is still up there on the list, i'm just having a hard time justifying the purchase to myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back