Rooth demos: the evaluation of Rooth lineup – liquid clarity
Jul 13, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #31 of 189
Sorry, i thought I answered (I typed a response on some device, but I guess it never was posted).

The LS3 falls in line with most of the rest of the lineup, except the LS4 and LSX5, both of which are more mid-forward and bass oriented.  So, first, I would try to figure out which sound signature you prefer.  You can read the LSX5 vs. the LS8+ to get a feel for the LS3 vs. LCX5, but the LS8+ performance is much higher than that of the LS3.  Technically, the LSX5 is superior to the LS3, but the LS3 has an amazing sound signature along with most of the rest of the lineup.  And I recommend contacting Tomo and talking to him about pricing (and mention me to Tomo :wink:).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #32 of 189
I think both types of sound signatures are fine with me, but which one to you sounds more like the JH16s? I know none are near it but from what I read the JHs should suit me just fine. And I'm not planning to get JH because Rooth is $150 cheaper here in Singapore. I can understand that the lsx5 is technically superior,but you mentioned that the 3s have a really special sound signature as well? How so? Does it not sound like any of the tens of customs you own?

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #33 of 189
The traditional Rooth lineup is closer to the JH16, but without the bass enhancement (JH13).  The LSX5 and LS4 are different in that they have more forward midranges than the JH16 and less treble energy.  The LS8 is the closest to the JH16 in the Rooth lineup.  The Rooth lineup has a high level of detail that is presented in an upfront way, meaning you don't have to search for them within the presentation, but it does so in a very smooth and liquid way whereas other custom IEMs with a similar bright presentation and faster note present in a more analytical way.  Essentially, you get the benefits of a fast note with high levels of upfront details with a more liquid sound, and I have not heard the level of liquidity except in CIEMs with thicker notes, and then you don't have quite the speed or level of instrument detail.

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #34 of 189
I also recently got to try out the Rooth lineup; my thoughts are actually quite similar to those of average_joe's (which is why I'm not creating a new thread), save for a few small details. I might do a detailed review one of these days, but for now, I've merely posted short thoughts of each model. Take these impressions with a grain of salt, as they're largely formed from unprocessed information reflexive of initial thoughts.

The overall Rooth sound is indeed tilted toward the brighter side of things, but has a smoothness that suits my listening tastes well. Rooth has brought out a product lineup that has more of a Japanese-style sound signature, and I can see why the brand is so popular in Japan. The sound is also consistent across products; anyone can hear that they're from the same family.

LS2: ...is actually quite neutral, but it is way too sensitive and just not refined enough in certain areas; it also has a slight bass boost. I quite like the sound, though. It's a good entry-level sound that has great potential as a neutral-ish monitor.

LS3: Er... I'm not a fan. I took it out after a few minutes. I should give it more of a chance as I'm sure it's not as bad as I think, but I'm feeling a little lazy.

LS4: ...Not bad for a bass-driven BA CIEM. I like the way the highs are presented (present, but not overbearing), and it has nice mids, but is placed just a bit too far away for my personal tastes. It's not as bassy as Average_Joe says it is, either, IMO.

LS6: For me, the LS6 seemed to be the star of the Rooth lineup (your opinion may very well differ) --- very refined sounding; bass is only a tiny bit boosted, basically perfect for my tastes. The highs are not bad, but it does have a vestige of the TWFK-esque sound in that it's quite loud at the 6-8k range, so cymbals are still slightly too present and shimmery for a true "neutral" stance, but it's not overdone and very well-controlled. For others, it can be slightly boring, however, because of the flat behavior of the frequency response. It's one of the flatter-sounding CIEMs I've heard thus far. Yet, at the same time, that's what helps it stay in my ears for the longest time out of the entire lineup of CIEMs. I can imagine that the UM Miracle splits the difference between this and the LS8+, though I couldn't say for sure.

LS8+: It's deserving of the 'flagship' moniker, methinks. It takes the basic LS6 sound and adds some pizzaz to the low and high ends. It's more airy, and more hefty in the bass. Refined, yet sparkly at the same time, while keeping the detail of the LS6. In the end, it doesn't stay in my ears as much as the LS6 (call me boring, it's okay), but it's very nice, nevertheless. I believe that it has the most potential of "wowing" people on first listen, as it has a wide, airy soundstage that is almost reminiscent of those of electrostatics. Halo products should be that way, and I think Rooth did a good job in tuning it in a way that makes the sound exciting, yet refined at the same time.

LSX5: ...definitely the most 'excitement' oriented of the Rooth lineup. It takes the basic sound of the LS8+ and takes the U-shaped coloring even further. It's fun for the first 20 min. then it gets sort of annoying. It's quite a bit more sibilant than the LS8+, so that's why. Bass is big and dynamic. It doesn't feel bassy at first, but then you realize how bassy it can get. Perhaps I'm just too used to the BA sound.

LS8: ...surprisingly the most monitor-like of the bunch, though not quite the quintessential monitor sound. It's warm in the mids, and reminds me of my 4.A with a little more bass and slightly less lower midrange presence. It's very pleasant, but I think the left side has a partially-faulty DTEC that makes a weird buzzing/vibrating sound so I don't know if I'm hearing it at its full potential. Less sibilant than the LS8+ (though I wouldn't say that the LS8+ is necessarily sibilant), about the same as the LS6. Less clarity than both as well, but it's not really lacking in clarity, either. Decent transparency. Not really as airy as I'd hoped, which was surprising. Sort of like my 4.A. I dunno, might be because of that broken driver.

The LS8+ (left) and the LSX5 (right)

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #35 of 189
Quote:
I also recently got to try out the Rooth lineup; my thoughts are actually quite similar to those of average_joe's (which is why I'm not creating a new thread), save for a few small details. I might do a detailed review one of these days, but for now, I've merely posted short thoughts of each model. Take these impressions with a grain of salt, as they're largely formed from unprocessed information reflexive of initial thoughts.

The overall Rooth sound is indeed tilted toward the brighter side of things, but has a smoothness that suits my listening tastes well. Rooth has brought out a product lineup that has more of a Japanese-style sound signature, and I can see why the brand is so popular in Japan. The sound is also consistent across products; anyone can hear that they're from the same family.

LS2: ...is actually quite neutral, but it is way too sensitive and just not refined enough in certain areas; it also has a slight bass boost. I quite like the sound, though. It's a good entry-level sound that has great potential as a neutral-ish monitor.

LS3: Er... I'm not a fan. I took it out after a few minutes. I should give it more of a chance as I'm sure it's not as bad as I think, but I'm feeling a little lazy.

LS4: ...Not bad for a bass-driven BA CIEM. I like the way the highs are presented (present, but not overbearing), and it has nice mids, but is placed just a bit too far away for my personal tastes. It's not as bassy as Average_Joe says it is, either, IMO.

LS6: For me, the LS6 seemed to be the star of the Rooth lineup (your opinion may very well differ) --- very refined sounding; bass is only a tiny bit boosted, basically perfect for my tastes. The highs are not bad, but it does have a vestige of the TWFK-esque sound in that it's quite loud at the 6-8k range, so cymbals are still slightly too present and shimmery for a true "neutral" stance, but it's not overdone and very well-controlled. For others, it can be slightly boring, however, because of the flat behavior of the frequency response. It's one of the flatter-sounding CIEMs I've heard thus far. Yet, at the same time, that's what helps it stay in my ears for the longest time out of the entire lineup of CIEMs. I can imagine that the UM Miracle splits the difference between this and the LS8+, though I couldn't say for sure.

LS8+: It's deserving of the 'flagship' moniker, methinks. It takes the basic LS6 sound and adds some pizzaz to the low and high ends. It's more airy, and more hefty in the bass. Refined, yet sparkly at the same time, while keeping the detail of the LS6. In the end, it doesn't stay in my ears as much as the LS6 (call me boring, it's okay), but it's very nice, nevertheless. I believe that it has the most potential of "wowing" people on first listen, as it has a wide, airy soundstage that is almost reminiscent of those of electrostatics. Halo products should be that way, and I think Rooth did a good job in tuning it in a way that makes the sound exciting, yet refined at the same time.

LSX5: ...definitely the most 'excitement' oriented of the Rooth lineup. It takes the basic sound of the LS8+ and takes the U-shaped coloring even further. It's fun for the first 20 min. then it gets sort of annoying. It's quite a bit more sibilant than the LS8+, so that's why. Bass is big and dynamic. It doesn't feel bassy at first, but then you realize how bassy it can get. Perhaps I'm just too used to the BA sound.

LS8: ...surprisingly the most monitor-like of the bunch, though not quite the quintessential monitor sound. It's warm in the mids, and reminds me of my 4.A with a little more bass and slightly less lower midrange presence. It's very pleasant, but I think the left side has a partially-faulty DTEC that makes a weird buzzing/vibrating sound so I don't know if I'm hearing it at its full potential. Less sibilant than the LS8+ (though I wouldn't say that the LS8+ is necessarily sibilant), about the same as the LS6. Less clarity than both as well, but it's not really lacking in clarity, either. Decent transparency. Not really as airy as I'd hoped, which was surprising. Sort of like my 4.A. I dunno, might be because of that broken driver.

The LS8+ (left) and the LSX5 (right)

Thanks for sharing!  I agree, the LS6 is the gem of the lineup, but I also have a thing for the LS8+ and LSX5. Unlike you, I could listen to the LSX5 for hours on end.  My guess is the difference in fit as the LSX5 fit me the best out of the demos.  I could jam the others in my ears, however the upper concha protrusion in the shell would dig into my ears with most of the lineup.  

I wonder if anyone else on here has any of these.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #36 of 189
Quote:
  Thanks for sharing!  I agree, the LS6 is the gem of the lineup, but I also have a thing for the LS8+ and LSX5. Unlike you, I could listen to the LSX5 for hours on end.  My guess is the difference in fit as the LSX5 fit me the best out of the demos.  I could jam the others in my ears, however the upper concha protrusion in the shell would dig into my ears with most of the lineup. I wonder if anyone else on here has any of these.

I definitely think the LSX5 has a place for other people; it's quite well-tuned and cohesive from top to bottom, but has too much stimulation for me, haha. So, it's more of a personal thing that I didn't like it as much as the LS8+ or the LS6. If I were to get one, I'd probably go for the LS8+, because it gives off that kind of "specialness" that a flagship should have. Call it 'inner depth' or 'pizzaz', whatever it is, the LS8+ definitely has the X-factor for me. The LS8 is a teeny bit too similar to my 4.A for me to go with it. While they have their differences, the LS8 definitely sounds most like the 4.A out of the bunch.

My hope with the LSX5 is that the final mold for the universal version will be different and more reflective of a less peaky sound on the top end. I actually think the treble peakiness I heard in the demo would be mitigated with a full-custom mold, but is the LSX5 is indeed going to be universalized, it should definitely try to have less of that treble peak, especially when silicone tips tend to amplify unwanted ear resonances.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #37 of 189
Quote:

I definitely think the LSX5 has a place for other people; it's quite well-tuned and cohesive from top to bottom, but has too much stimulation for me, haha. So, it's more of a personal thing that I didn't like it as much as the LS8+ or the LS6. If I were to get one, I'd probably go for the LS8+, because it gives off that kind of "specialness" that a flagship should have. Call it 'inner depth' or 'pizzaz', whatever it is, the LS8+ definitely has the X-factor for me. The LS8 is a teeny bit too similar to my 4.A for me to go with it. While they have their differences, the LS8 definitely sounds most like the 4.A out of the bunch.

My hope with the LSX5 is that the final mold for the universal version will be different and more reflective of a less peaky sound on the top end. I actually think the treble peakiness I heard in the demo would be mitigated with a full-custom mold, but is the LSX5 is indeed going to be universalized, it should definitely try to have less of that treble peak, especially when silicone tips tend to amplify unwanted ear resonances.

I suppose the LSX5 top end peaks you hear may or may not be there because I don't hear them that way.  There is a bigger treble peak in my customized LS8 than the demo, so it is ear dependent.  And I could be happy with either the LS6 or the LS8+.  The LS8+ is great, but there is something about the LS6 to my ears.

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #39 of 189
Quote:
Hey joe, could you name an / a few IEM with similar sound sig to the LSX-5? I am interested to get it since it is available as universals. CIEM seems to be too much of a hassle

I would say they are fairly close to the GR-07, but with more sub-bass and the To Go 334, but not quite as warm or overall forward sounding.  I can think of a lot of IEMs that don't sound like the LSX5.  If you want to describe what you want from a sound perspective, I think I can help.

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #42 of 189
Hey Joe, how would you desrcibe the bass of the ls8+/ls8? I don't really know how to explain but I found the bass of ls6 to be richer fuller? than the ls8+/ls8.. I tried the demo sets, but just couldn't find the bass of ls8/ls8+ to be more than ls6..

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #43 of 189
Quote:
What is rooth lab's official website?

Do they have an official website?  I found their info on ERJI.

Quote:
Hey Joe, how would you desrcibe the bass of the ls8+/ls8? I don't really know how to explain but I found the bass of ls6 to be richer fuller? than the ls8+/ls8.. I tried the demo sets, but just couldn't find the bass of ls8/ls8+ to be more than ls6..

The bass of the LS6 is neutral while both the LS8 and LS8+ are warmer to my ears.  I can't say why the LS6 would sound fuller, but the overall sound is cleaner.  All I can think is the fit wasn't right, the source didn't match up as well (high output impedance?) or something was wrong with the LS8/LS8+ (unlikely). 

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #44 of 189
Is it possible to post clearer pictures of the nozzles of these? I am curious if their nozzles are similar to the UM demos which don't have much grip with the eartips and always were left behind whenever I tried to audition them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back