Rookie: Can you pick a headphone that meets my criteria?
May 7, 2003 at 2:57 PM Post #16 of 26
A local electronics store (i.e. Best Buy) will not carry V6's. Infact I haven't heard of them selling anything but b.s. Aiwa or Philips cans. The best thing to do is to go to the gear for sale forum here and post a wanted ad for a pr. of Sony V6/7506's. You should be able to get them for around $50-60 shipped in good condition. And whatever you do, DO NOT purchase any Sony V-series cans (i.e. Sony V700DJ) they are very, very bad. I think my headphones that came with my iRiver sound better than those.

May 7, 2003 at 7:15 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by st5150
The Koss KSC 35 are the type that clip on your ears right? I find those very uncomfortable.

Have you actually tried the KSC-35? You won't find much (if anything) better for the price.

That said, you mentioned that you'd like closed headphones if possible. I'd suggest checking out the Sennheiser PX 200 which are $50. One of my favorite headphones nowadays.

May 8, 2003 at 7:58 AM Post #20 of 26
So I did some more research on the web. The Sony V6 is just too big for me. I think the Sennheiser HD 477 Headphones are as large as I'm willing to go, but prefably the size of the Sennheiser PX 200 Headphones. I also found out that some headphones have kevlar reinforced cables so they last longer. What's the scoop on this? I had no idea headphones had such a cult following, let alone being a hobby for so many people
eek.gif

May 8, 2003 at 8:20 AM Post #21 of 26
I vote for the Grado SR-60's. They're pretty bright.

May 8, 2003 at 8:24 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by NewSc2
I vote for the Grado SR-60's. They're pretty bright.

Not too bright with the Sennheiser yellow pads
smily_headphones1.gif

If you don't *need* isolation there's a whole lot more options in the ~$50 range you can look at. Grados are one, along with the Koss Portapro and KSC-35.

May 8, 2003 at 8:48 AM Post #24 of 26
I say Grado SR60 as well, used if you can to save yourself some money. Fits your criteria well except that it's pretty damned open. It's a GREAT starter headphone..and it's the one that got me into this ridiculous hobby too.

May 8, 2003 at 5:21 PM Post #25 of 26
What to do, what to do? So many options. I'm starting to think that I should use your guy's suggetions as guidelines and not decide until I actually hear them for myself. Unfortunately I only know of one store that has headphones on display for sampling, and they're all SONY's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back