Romantic place near Los Angeles?
May 28, 2004 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Orpheus

Headphoneus Supremus
hey guys.

ha ha.... i'm asking love advice from a headphone forum. aw heck. well, i am meeting my GF for the first time this saturday. yeah, really weird relationship. yes, she's my GF, but i've never seen her in person, and only talked to her one single time, by accident, only for 1 min, a little less than a year ago. really strange.

anyway... i know she really digs romance.

so......................... suggestions???

icon10.gif

oh, she likes good food. any nice restaurants out there? let's say i don't want to pay more than $100 for both of us combined for dinner. doesn't need to be fancy--in fact, probably want to avoid anything toooooo fancy (she doesn't like extravagance.) just something really romantic with really good food, for less than $50/person.

i'm meeting her at 5:00. after dinner, probably come home, and we're gonna listen to my music and talk, and spend time together. (she really wants to spend time in my studio.... she's a film editor herself. really likes the arts.) i think she's planning to spend the night.

anyway.....

ha ha--head-fi dating reality show!

icon10.gif

all suggestions welcome!

May 28, 2004 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 24
Do you have any favorite places? The kinds of places where you regularly go and like a lot? Those are usually the best bet, but it depends if she's looking for something upscale or something funkier/quirkier/more artistic. (Most people don't hit upscale places regularly.) Does she have any food preferences? If you're going to talk to her before Saturday, it would be courteous to ask. Be offhand and breezy, not indecisive, e.g. "how does Italian sound?" not "what kind of place would you like to eat at?"

If you're going to an upscale restaurant, make sure you do a little research beforehand so you know what wines generally go well with the food she chooses. You don't have to be an expert, just don't be an ignoramus. Also, if you're going someplace you've never been before, be sure to make a reservation beforehand. Nothing worse than having to wait for a table at a popular fancy restaurant.

If you know she's coming to your place, you could also cook her dinner. Women love that. It's naturally romantic without the "try hard" vibe, and cooking has a lot of nurturing undertones. If she has a particular ethnicity, don't cook something to match that (e.g. if she's Italian don't cook Italian); that has a bad vibe and you won't be able to match what she's expecting. Anything else and women will be very forgiving; you're a guy after all. If she's into it, make a dessert afterwards that involves torching some rum. Be nonchalant about the flames. Fire has a great primeval appeal. You do need to check with her in advance if you intend to cook for her; "how does beef sound?" will keep you from feeding red meat to a vegetarian.

If she's staying over, you'll at least need to whip up something for breakfast anyway, so have some decent breakfast ingredients in the fridge. She may be into romance, but don't try to make her breakfast in bed. This is a first date after all.

May 28, 2004 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 24
Can't help you on the happening spots in L.A but just want to get this right ..

She's your GF but you've only talked to her on one occasion a year ago and never seen her?

It took me weeks and tons of $$$ for me to land mine ... you're my hero.

May 28, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 24
Water is always romantic ("it's the motion of the ocean...")

Cafe Del Rey at Marina Del Rey is very very nice, but not stiflingly ritzy, eg hovering waiters. Excellent food, not exhorbitantly priced. It's a great choice.

http://www.savvydiner.com/details.php?r=247

May 28, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

She's your GF but you've only talked to her on one occasion a year ago and never seen her?

he he. um, yeah, basically that's it. there are fragments of the whole story shattered about the lounge, that i've posted in the past year. but it's complicated. anyway.... i did only talk to her for less than 5 min. but she swears she loves me and knows i'm the One. now..... that alone sounds really freaky... i know. but the whole gigantic complicated story would justify such premature emotions quite well. anyway, we'll just leave it at that.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Do you have any favorite places? The kinds of places where you regularly go and like a lot?

you know, not really. when i go out, it's to random places. no favorites.
Quote:

Does she have any food preferences?

i don't think so. she seems to eat anything, as long as it's quality food.
Quote:

If you're going to talk to her before Saturday, it would be courteous to ask. Be offhand and breezy, not indecisive, e.g. "how does Italian sound?" not "what kind of place would you like to eat at?"

you know, that's good advice... and i thought about that. but i believe in general girls like confident guys that plan the thing out. i mean, you shouldn't be pushy... but i think if you already know the direction, it gives them a good feeling. so, i'll probably make the plans, knowing that she'd agree after, "how does _______ sound?"
Quote:

If you're going to an upscale restaurant, make sure you do a little research beforehand so you know what wines generally go well with the food she chooses.

heh he.... i hate wines. i dunno if she does though... but i know she doesn't drink much, though she will on occasions at parties to fit in.
Quote:

If you know she's coming to your place, you could also cook her dinner. Women love that.

true..... and i do cook really well. but the thing is, you gotta clean up and stuff, and i don't have that much time with her. every minute counts. i kinda wanna have a relaxing evening with her, rather than worry about all the little details of food preparation.
Quote:

If she's staying over, you'll at least need to whip up something for breakfast anyway, so have some decent breakfast ingredients in the fridge.

yup.... that's definitely something to do.
Quote:

This is a first date after all.

sorta. ha ha.......... again, i know it's insane...... but she intends to marry me.

gotta love her.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Cafe Del Rey at Marina Del Rey is very nice, but not stiflingly ritzy, eg hovering waiters and white table cloth. Excellent food, not exhorbitantly priced. It's a great choice.

hmm... thanks for the suggestion! i thought about going to restaurants out there... there are lots of nice sea-side things there... but the problem is, it's kinda far. and she goes to the beach a lot anyway. well, used to. she's kinda a hermit now. but i know it was a regular trip to her and her friends.

hmm..... is this cafe right next to the ocean? i've been to the cheescake factory at redondo beach.... and it's actually right there. pretty nice. but they won't let you make reservations.... and i dunno, it's not really upscale to me anyway... but still nice. but this cafe sounds intriguing. maybe for a second date...... but i think we have to go somewhere nearer to Arcadia for this one.

May 28, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #9 of 24
ha ha wodgy....

okay, since you probably have followed the whole drama--she's the one that came with the camera.
biggrin.gif
i think that pretty much answers everything.

and yeah, like you all told me to do, i've broken up with my ex. (though she's still my best friend. i care about her so much.)

(and by the way... Veronica's timschirmer's friend... gothic girl that i record music for. she's really nice... but TOTALLY not my type. heh he. i think you got her confused with something else. and the one i almost died for actually is studying to get a phd in bioinformatics at UCLA i believe... something to do with biological math. i dunno.)

May 28, 2004 at 9:15 AM Post #10 of 24
If you're both in the industry, there's always the venerable Rose Cafe in Venice. It's always been one of my favs, but it's really of a brunch place. Make sure you get an outdoor table. Maybe the day after....
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.latimes.com/extras/outinl..._rosecafe.html

May 28, 2004 at 9:24 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
okay, since you probably have followed the whole drama--she's the one that came with the camera.
biggrin.gif
i think that pretty much answers everything.

If she's the hot music video girl, you'd better not take her to Cheesecake Factory!
smily_headphones1.gif

(Sorry about the bioinformatics/neuroscience confusion... my memory was playing tricks on me there.)

May 28, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #13 of 24
Hi,

If you want to stay near home, have you tried the Parkway Grill on Arroyo Parkway in Pasadena? If memory serves me right this was a nice place, not too expensive (in the $100.00 -$150.00 range depending on the wine and how much you eat), but might be hard to get a reservation at this late date. gotta plan in advance.

If you like romance, how about Top of The Five at the Bonaventure in downtown. Great view as the room circles the building in about an hour with views of downtown at night.

When in Venice you might also try 12 Washington St. Great food and service in a beachside bistro type atmosphere.

First meetings can also be awkward. You might try something like Benihana as it will give you something to talk about in those trying silent moments.

May 28, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

If she's the hot music video girl, you'd better not take her to Cheesecake Factory!

heh he.... that's the one. but i wouldn't call her hot really (the girls she came with were though).... she's very skinny. i tend to not like girls that extremely skinny. but anyway... she is very beautiful, no doubt about that. she's perfect in every way. it seems we like almost all of the same things, and we think alike. incredible. i must start to than the Man up there more...... got me 2 jobs in 1 month, got me her..... someone up there must like me for some reason!
Quote:

If you like romance, how about Top of The Five at the Bonaventure in downtown. Great view as the room circles the building in about an hour with views of downtown at night.

ha ha... funny you should mention this restaurant. i work right in that area, and our company goes to the grill at the bottom of the building very often. i've never been to the top though...... how much are we looking at?
icon10.gif
at least i have free parking there (using my pass for work.)
Quote:

If you want to stay near home, have you tried the Parkway Grill on Arroyo Parkway in Pasadena? If memory serves me right this was a nice place, not too expensive (in the $100.00 -$150.00 range depending on the wine and how much you eat), but might be hard to get a reservation at this late date.

hey, just looked it up!--they have online reservations. interesting. it looks like they still have space. however, i just sent an email to my gf, asking if it's okay with her. it says "casual business" dress.... hmm. never been to a restaurant this fancy before. well, it'll be interesting. heh he. hope the food's good. well, better be!--the thing online said costs $51+. sheesh.
icon10.gif

May 29, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 24
This is sorta far for you but Yamashiro's in Hollywood Hills is a restaurant with so so food but the view is excellent. We used to go there for drinks after dinner in the bar. Very romantic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back