Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #1,351 of 4,743

I won't comment much here on head-fi because this topic catches fire really fast. But I have enough background to believe in this.

This fact ain't going to stop me spending money towards audio gear any way. Just that it'll be invested in different kind of audio gear rather than emphasizing too much on bit depth.

you should discuss it. this thread is known to remain civil under extreme circumstances
biggrin.gif

did you do abx testing between hi res file and cd quality? a sample album is free to download from hd tracks.

also I can make a similar video showing cd quality is waste over mp3 and all amps above o2 are a waste.

my question is did you do abx testing?

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #1,352 of 4,743
you should discuss it. this thread is known to remain civil under extreme circumstances :D

did you do abx testing between hi res file and cd quality? a sample album is free to download from hd tracks.

also I can make a similar video showing cd quality is waste over mp3 and all amps above o2 are a waste.

my question is did you do abx testing?

*covers eyes with shame*

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #1,354 of 4,743

no point in making drive by post if you are not interested in discussing it.

I'm just getting into this. So yeah I'm not correct person yet to discuss something more technical. Maybe.. someday.

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #1,355 of 4,743
  I'm just getting into this. So yeah I'm not correct person yet to discuss something more technical. Maybe.. someday.

thats ok.

by the way if anyone claims headfi is a scientific community, point them towards real scientific community for example:

http://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/periodicals/journals_magazines.html

compared to this, all that I read on headfi is marketing, not science.
tongue.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #1,356 of 4,743

confused_face(1).gif
 James Hetfield......Really? Never heard of Randy Rhoads?

Sorry never..but then I though I know a lot of bands find myself really uneducated when it comes to knowing some of the real top names out there. Now that I have googled, yes he played for Ozzy and Quiet riot. May have actually heard his great music without knowing him.

The lead guitarists I know by name(other than knowing the band) : Kirk Hammet (never played solo), Joe Satriani and Santana. 

Anyway it reminded me of Metallica, because of its M shape. but yes the Metallica M is slightly a bigger one, this is smaller.

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,357 of 4,743

thats ok.

by the way if anyone claims headfi is a scientific community, point them towards real scientific community for example:

http://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/periodicals/journals_magazines.html

compared to this, all that I read on headfi is marketing, not science.
tongue.gif

The thing I like about head fi is that it gives me a little relevant info which I can research later so I did go back and forth between these sites. It helps me as a beginner.

But yes IEEE is more authoritative.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #1,358 of 4,743
  The thing I like about head fi is that it gives me a little relevant info which I can research later so I did go back and forth between these sites. It helps me as a beginner.

But yes IEEE is more authoritative.

ieee is just an example and is not meant to be read unless you really have to.

my point is compared to it, headfi has like very basic knowledge that we mortals can understand.

thus I simply do not get into tech talk. you are talking about pcm here, something related to siganls and systems, and throwing inferences left and right like nobody's business.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #1,359 of 4,743
  Should separate test songs for testing Female/Male vocals. A lot of gear behave with each one rather specifically.

Separated on the basis of male(M)/female(F) :

Some songs to test with in Hindi:

Dekha Hai Aise Bhi(Lucky Ali) (M) - Soundstage

Hum na rahein Hum(Remix) (Creaure 3D) (M) - Bass 

Tu Kaun Hai(Lucky Ali) (M) - Resolution of vocals

Fusion in Raag Champa Kali(Rahat Fateh Ali Khan) (M) - Dynamics, Instrument Separation

Dil Kyun Yeh Mera(Kites) (M) - Instrument Separation

Fire(Kites) - Good test of overall spectrum(particularly bass and treble)

Subhanallah(Yeh Jawani Hai Diwani) (M) - Mids and Vocals

Habibi(Rahat Fateh Ali Khan) (M) - Good test of overall spectrum

Zaroori Tha(Rahat Fateh Ali Khan) (M) - Mids and Vocals

Galliyan(Unplugged)(Ek Villain) (M/F) - Mids and Vocals

Please correct me if I am wrong.Need suggestions for more songs to test with.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #1,360 of 4,743

ieee is just an example and is not meant to be read unless you really have to.

my point is compared to it, headfi has like very basic knowledge that we mortals can understand.

thus I simply do not get into tech talk. you are talking about pcm here, something related to siganls and systems, and throwing inferences left and right like nobody's business.

ieee is just electronics... there is more to a sound reproduction than simple electronics. I am a learner in electronics but if you really want to know stuff and find a middle ground there is nothing better than diyaudio.com .... hifivision is really helpful too. However, I find it compulsory that some things be tested by yourself to be best understood, because simple formulae just don't cut it. For example winding wire on a transformer's primary and secondary. It's actually quite complicated than the formulae will lead us to think.

Another source I find helpful is the website of TI, their free giveaways, their online manuals elaborating on the specs and architecture of all their IC's! Super helpful if you want to run minute loads! 

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #1,361 of 4,743

Ha gotta love autocorrect, yes Laney it was :p

A lot of that tone on the RR V would be the humbuggies and floyd too.

I loved Randy Rhoads and still do, the first song I learned entirely back in 94', was 18, I started late, was 'Dee' from Blizzard of Oz. I think metal took a back seat around the time Sepultura came out with Arise, I had just discovered Stevie Ray Vaughan's Texas Flood and Scott Henderson's Tribal Tech Face First albums, that took me down a completely new road, blues-jazz-funk-rock. I wouldn't know where to start, it makes no sense the mix of music I listen to these days, but I def am biased towards guitar music. SRV's recordings hold up really well with critical listening, besides he's eFFing mental. 

Man tell me about it, wood :D I've built and had customs built for me, I no pro but I suffered an unhealthy dose of OCD about this stuff. wood old, new, curly, birds eye, quilt, straight flamed, straight grained, quarter sawn or not maple, vintage mahogany, braz rose wood, thin nitro... thankfully I'm done.. I think... a lentz croyden carve top, grosh EJVT and a vigier excalibur original covers it.

I'll tell you that the sorriest thing is having a good guitar and a crap amp, i had a fender strat and a battery power amp to start with... for a few years.. trust me I know, better to have a playable guitar and a good amp ( with reverb). One might argue where the tone lies but often playability aside, the amp's more important until you get beyond a point. 

Hey I just wanted to check if it was you who were building those lovely BCL clones?

Cheers and enjoy in good health.

Really good to know there is another person with itchy hands here!

I do not listen to thrash metal all that much except some older Metallica, of course.

My favourite band is Death(formed in 1983)! Chuck Schuldiner just made things super awesome for me! Sad he left us! My friend and me were in band back in college and big fans of Death.. we covered Spirit crusher with our band.
My friend was so influenced, he even bought a BC rich Stealth (Chuck Schuldiner tribute) guitar for a $1000.00 and got it imported. It has a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge. The highest gain among any Dimarzio pups out there. The pup and the awkward body shape, cutting out a lot of wood just kills any contribution from the wood like tonal characteristics.
This is why I am concerned about the Rhoads model I posted earlier... it is made of basswood(obviously Chinese) and the guitar is cheaper than in India. I have played the same neck, rosewood, on a dinky and it is not super comfy like an Ibanez Wizard neck but the frets are bigger and equally fast. I just want to know if it will end up like the Schuldiner model because of the lack of wood.

Any input would be appreciated? If I buy an amp here, I will not be able to get it back to India, this is why I need to adjust with a small portable setup. Also all gigs here give their own amps and set up except for the instrument. Below is a blown up pic of his Stealth.

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,362 of 4,743

ieee is just electronics... there is more to a sound reproduction than simple electronics. I am a learner in electronics but if you really want to know stuff and find a middle ground there is nothing better than diyaudio.com .... hifivision is really helpful too. However, I find it compulsory that some things be tested by yourself to be best understood, because simple formulae just don't cut it. For example winding wire on a transformer's primary and secondary. It's actually quite complicated than the formulae will lead us to think.

Another source I find helpful is the website of TI, their free giveaways, their online manuals elaborating on the specs and architecture of all their IC's! Super helpful if you want to run minute loads! 

16 bit and 24 bit depth is related to pcm and is more related to signals and systems, if i am correct.

I gave ieee as an example of scientific community.

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #1,363 of 4,743
Very nice bro. That picture is a bit dark but I get the idea. 

You know when I was starting to spend money on serious gear, as I got into all the experiments of building, it was clear that there were only three sounds for the most part, like breeds of dogs, it was stratocasters, telecasters and les pauls. All metal guitars are in one way or another les paul decedents, their primary differentiating character was the use of high output humbuckers. Personally I don't think that's necessary as it limits the guitars versatility and dynamics. 

Honestly stay away from pointy V shaped guitars, they're basically stage gimmicks and mostly exist to sucker folks like us into buying the stuff. They're just awkward sitting down and gigantic in a case. There's really no tonal merit to that shape, it's just to get teenage boys more excited, part of a spectacle. Your better off getting a super strat which is a stratocaster type with an SSH (single coil in the neck, single coil in the mid, hum bucker in the bridge). I'll give you all your metal tones and when you're ready to try something new, will be there ready waiting for you. Also high output pickups only make sense using real tube amps, they are going to hard clip your typical digital ADCs and if you're primary tones are mostly gain turned to max one  may not have even noticed.

For an amp, I take it you're not really gigging at the moment, a small amp with on metal type gain to me mostly sounds like a bunch of crows exhausted on acid. I love hi gain sound but only if it's coming from a 4x12 with my trousers flapping. 

Honestly bro I think you'll get the most bang for the buck with this, avoid any other variation of the squires, this particular classic vibe has the best bridge, pickups combo and overall they're the best budget guitars on the planet, pro's use them too. At some point you can update the electronics to american grades very cheaply. That is change the pickups, switch, tone capacitor, pots and tuners, but don't touch it for a few months, I wouldn't touch it till the switch/pot starts giving up. Bloody brilliant guitars. Honestly don't worry about it looking vintage, it's a positive if anything, 90% of the guitars on this planet are based on this design, it's the most copied guitar. 
http://www.thomann.de/be/fender_squier_classic_vibe_strat_60s.htm

This amp will get you heavy the tones you want today. Again it's versatile, simulated headphone out means it's got speaker cab simulation with is awesome! You can also plug it into a 4x12 guitar cab and use it as a head, you'll be gobsmacked at what some of these modern critters are capable of. 
http://www.thomann.de/be/blackstar_ht1_combo.htm

If you have money left over, spend it on a digitech tone print delay for some ambience or additional mayhem. Use 10 guage strings for a fatter tone without fatigue. 
Don't skimp of a cheap cable, as this forum suggests, cables carrying audio signal directly affect the tone quality, this doesn't mean expensive either, something branded from fender/vox/orange will do just fine, I mention those since they're available all over, we're not getting exotic here. 

Man I'm excited for you, I hope you get the above combo, I promise you will thank me, if not I'll buy this rig off you when you come down.

Good luck!

edit: I've been at this for 20 years now... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTNQQt8Uv18 that's an older clip. This is more on the lines of tones I'm currently into ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XvHfybLm3M   Cheers!

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #1,364 of 4,743

That's absolutely right, numbers don't mean jack when it comes to analog signals which is on the periphery of anything that does AD/DA as well. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #1,365 of 4,743
  Very nice bro. That picture is a bit dark but I get the idea. 

You know when I was starting to spend money on serious gear, as I got into all the experiments of building, it was clear that there were only three sounds for the most part, like breeds of dogs, it was stratocasters, telecasters and les pauls. All metal guitars are in one way or another les paul decedents, their primary differentiating character was the use of high output humbuckers. Personally I don't think that's necessary as it limits the guitars versatility and dynamics. 

Honestly stay away from pointy V shaped guitars, they're basically stage gimmicks and mostly exist to sucker folks like us into buying the stuff. They're just awkward sitting down and gigantic in a case. There's really no tonal merit to that shape, it's just to get teenage boys more excited, part of a spectacle. Your better off getting a super strat which is a stratocaster type with an SSH (single coil in the neck, single coil in the mid, hum bucker in the bridge). I'll give you all your metal tones and when you're ready to try something new, will be there ready waiting for you. Also high output pickups only make sense using real tube amps, they are going to hard clip your typical digital ADCs and if you're primary tones are mostly gain turned to max one  may not have even noticed.

For an amp, I take it you're not really gigging at the moment, a small amp with on metal type gain to me mostly sounds like a bunch of crows exhausted on acid. I love hi gain sound but only if it's coming from a 4x12 with my trousers flapping. 

Honestly bro I think you'll get the most bang for the buck with this, avoid any other variation of the squires, this particular classic vibe has the best bridge, pickups combo and overall they're the best budget guitars on the planet, pro's use them too. At some point you can update the electronics to american grades very cheaply. That is change the pickups, switch, tone capacitor, pots and tuners, but don't touch it for a few months, I wouldn't touch it till the switch/pot starts giving up. Bloody brilliant guitars. Honestly don't worry about it looking vintage, it's a positive if anything, 90% of the guitars on this planet are based on this design, it's the most copied guitar. 
http://www.thomann.de/be/fender_squier_classic_vibe_strat_60s.htm

This amp will get you heavy the tones you want today. Again it's versatile, simulated headphone out means it's got speaker cab simulation with is awesome! You can also plug it into a 4x12 guitar cab and use it as a head, you'll be gobsmacked at what some of these modern critters are capable of. 
http://www.thomann.de/be/blackstar_ht1_combo.htm

If you have money left over, spend it on a digitech tone print delay for some ambience or additional mayhem. Use 10 guage strings for a fatter tone without fatigue. 
Don't skimp of a cheap cable, as this forum suggests, cables carrying audio signal directly affect the tone quality, this doesn't mean expensive either, something branded from fender/vox/orange will do just fine, I mention those since they're available all over, we're not getting exotic here. 

Man I'm excited for you, I hope you get the above combo, I promise you will thank me, if not I'll buy this rig off you when you come down.

Good luck!

edit: I've been at this for 20 years now... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTNQQt8Uv18 that's an older clip. This is more on the lines of tones I'm currently into ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XvHfybLm3M   Cheers!

What I notice is under the cheap limit of $500, wood of guitars dont make a whole lot of difference because the pups are really not all that good. On the other hand, I don't like strat shaped guitars because I have played one too many and don't find them really appealing any more though I like some of the Yamaha Pacifica guitars.
What I have back in India is a Greg Bennett Avion AV3 with a completely scalloped neck with a Marshall 10W, a Boss MT-2 and a Zoom G2n gifted by none other Head-fi user Wrathzombie :)

As of now, I just got an e-mail from the dealer telling me that the Jackson Rhoads will take 2 months to reach here from the distributor. The other guitar (2nd hand) and a hundred euros lesser is an Ibanez SA260fml, snapshot below. I like this guitar because I have played it and its neck is really close to the wizard neck. However don't have the super jumbo frets. The pickups are not good but the SAT-II pro bridge is much better than the Fender non-locking bridges. I love them more than many squiers and Mexican fender strats for the playability... I am still inclined to the Rhoads model due to the playability in the higher frets(12-16'' radius) and been inclined to trying a Floyd rose(licensed or otherwise) for quite sometime now...

Seeing your videos...now ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back