Rogue Audio
Nov 11, 2003 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jtc

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

Does anyone use, or have experience with, Rogue Audio valve amps - particularly the 99 Magnum preamp and either the 88 Magnum stereo power amp or the 150 Magnum monoblocks?

I'm looking at them with a view to changing my own amps, wanting some of the valve sound with great timing, dynamics, even-handedness and solidity.

Cheers,

John

Nov 11, 2003 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 12
Sorry. But I've read a lot about these in the mags. They seem to be very reasonably priced for what you get... And the designers seem pretty cool, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2003 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 12
I own a Rogue Audio 99 Magnum preamp. I am very pleased with it. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about it. I preffer it to the Marsh preamps. I liked it almost as much as the Conrad Johnson Premier 17LS, but it was considerably cheaper.

Nov 12, 2003 at 8:17 AM Post #9 of 12
The 99 Magnum would be my choice for preamp - but really what I'm interested in finding out is how well it copes with staccato, leading-edge stuff, and how good its timing is. I'm not looking for a pleasant blur kind of sound, I want accurate, fast and dynamic, with that toob 'certain something'...

Thanks,

John

Nov 26, 2003 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 12
I've arranged a home demo of the full-monty 99 Magnum with the M150 monoblock amps for next week, and I'll report back on how I find then.

One interesting point is that the 99 Magnum has a headphone output on the back of the amp (which seems odd) but what I'm wondering is whether this can compete with stand-alone headphone stages or whether it's going to find itself seriously outclassed...

John

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #11 of 12
I recently purchased a rogue ninety nine super magnum preamp which was a trade in at a local audio emporium. I listened to the unit for a couple of days but yesterday I really listened to it with more intent  and it pairs very well with my emotiva stealth 8 active monitors . The sound is dynamic but without the harshness at the top like you get from some high end preamps . There is a sense of palpability and the bass is surprisingly tight considering that this unit is a tube preamp . The soundstage is also reproduced in a realistic fashion with depth  behind the speaker and sound projecting forward of the monitors as well . The sound is very open and there is plenty of prat as well . There is a sense of power as well with good dynamics on suitable recordings . There is also a sense of transparency to the presentation as well . I have to say I am suitably impressed by how well this preamp sounds for its very real world price . of course I got mine at a sizeable discount I think the dealer just wanted to sell it off to clear some space . Which I was very happy to do . I highly recommend the rogue ninety nine super magnum preamp for anyone looking for a high performance preamp at real world prices .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back