Rodrigo Concierto de Aranjuez Props
Nov 24, 2006 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been listening to a budget SACD of Rodrigo Concierto de Aranjuez and been really enjoying it. Does anyone else like this piece? and know of any other quality recordings?

Nov 24, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 11
Four favorites:

1 Bonell, Dutoit, Montreal Symphony - just a wonderful sounding recording.
2 Romero, Marriner, Academy St Martins in the Field - Relaxed, very nice interplay, both this and the last one, the orchestras seem particularly inspired.
3 Romero, Allesandro, San Antonio Symphony - the up-front Mercury sound.
4 Kraft, Ward, Northern Chamber Orchestra - Naxos so it's low priced but the recording is state-of-the-art.

The piece is so tuneful it's practically conductor proof. All the above guitarists are up to it. Another distinctive performance is Yepes on Deutsche Gramophone, as he plays a special eight string guitar. The only reservation about it is the sound quality.

Nov 24, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 11
Nice...I've been meaning to listen to this and its good to have some recommendations. Right now, I only have Jim Hall's jazz take on the piece in my collection (which is rather enjoyable nonetheless). My girlfriend went to see the original version performed live on Boston Common this year, but I had too much work to do that night.
frown.gif

Nov 24, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 11
I have about six LPs of this music including all of the big guitarists, like Pepe Romero, Alexandre Lagoya, John Williams and two by Narciso Yepes, and they are all great by just about any standards, but my favorite by far is Siegfried Behrend (1933-1990) on guitar with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Reinhard Peters and recorded in 1960 (DG 139 166). The guitar playing is so passionate, yet relaxed, and the sound so colorful and alive. Just a wonderful performance and recording. Released a few years ago on a low cost import CD too, paired with Rodrigo's Concerto Serenade for Harp and Castelnuovo-Tedesco's Concerto for Guitar. As always it's highly subjective, and it isn't a "modern" recording, and some of those Deutsche Grammophon recordings could get a bit sterile sounding, but no better Concierto De Aranjuez that I've heard. Behrend also recorded a sterling Vivaldi D major guitar concerto (actually, a transcription of a lute concerto).

Rodrigo: Concierto De Aranjuez, Concerto Serenade
Release Date: 01/21/2002 Label: Eloquence Catalog: 457306
Composer: Joaquin Rodrigo, M. Castelnuovo-Tedesco
Performer: Nicanor Zabaleta, Siegfried Behrend
Conductor: Reinhard Peters
Orchestra/Ensemble: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra

I've actually seen two different covers, but the CD I have looks like this ...

B00004UPUE.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This recording of the Concierto De Aranjuez is also available on one of those cheap Guitar Weekend packages along with the Vivaldi I mentioned, and some other cool stuff by both Behrend and Yepes ... great buy!

http://www.iclassics.com/productDetail?contentId=64080

Nov 24, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 11
since I am a fan of Orpheus Chamber Orchestra let me push their recording (with Goran Sollscher). Really a showpiece for the balance and love of detail of this unique conductorless orchestra. Very well recorded to boot. Unfortunately it is an import, but can be found on amazon zShops for slightly over $10.
B000001GC9.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Nov 25, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... my favorite by far is Siegfried Behrend (1933-1990) on guitar with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Reinhard Peters and recorded in 1960 (DG 139 166). The guitar playing is so passionate, yet relaxed, and the sound so colorful and alive.

http://www.iclassics.com/productDetail?contentId=64080

I just found this in my collection and, yes, I'd agree, it's wonderful. There are so many wonderful performances.

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 11
47561842_p.jpg

I finally picked up the Mercury Living Presence of Rodrigo’s Concierto de Aranjuez SACD. This is a stunningly good disc. I’m not an expert on the piece but this performance seems truly outstanding and the sonics are fantastic.

Highly recommended.

Dec 6, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 11
I really love the Adagio of that piece.

For accoustic guitar, i love Rodrigo y Gabriela.
No, not related with your Rodrigo, but these two have their own style.
try their website and see whether you love their style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back