Rockboxed 5.5 gen Ipod Video or Nano 4g: Which do I keep?
Jun 23, 2009 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jaw2ek

100+ Head-Fier
I bought the iPod video unit about 3 weeks ago (from etechparts.com, very nice quality unit) and rockboxed it myself. I received the Nano for father's day.

I'm leaning towards the Nano, since it was a gift (and I didn't tell anybody about the video). However, I like Rockbox's features and the Nano seems a bit underpowered in comparison.

I figure that either will sell for about the same price. I can use the money for a decent amp for the Nano, maybe. Or full-size cans, since I only have IEMs.

Currently, my collection is V0 LAME, which is OK for me, so space is not the biggest issue. My previous player was an 80gb Classic, of which I used <12gb, including some videos that I never watched anyway.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 9
Depends. What size is the Nanos drive, and will you be excercising when listening to music - a lighter player is more convenient for a more active person.
Also consider which you can sell for more money.
I don't know about much about the new nano, but I've heard good things about the 5.5's line out if you want an amp.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm sure your kids will understand what you really want, even if it means selling their gift.

Assuming you have the 16gb nano, at 12gb right now, it doesn't seem like you'll have much room to grow. Do you intend to get alot more music? If so, 4gb probably isn't going to cut it.

If you want to imod it, it'll definitely sound better.

Or, if you want a smaller, thinner player, you can opt for the nano.

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the input. Its actually an 8gb nano, but I don't mind that.

I'm listening to both right now and I think I prefer the sound of the video, but not by much. The vocals on the Nano are a little drier.

I think the Nano is less forgiving of low bitrate files, which I notice don't sound to good, although I've not had trouble with them before (on either my old 80gb Classic or my Rio Karma) Probably going to keep the Nano. I like the portability and it plays nice with my e3 amp. Maybe I'll keep both for a while longer.

BTW, when I bought my video at etechparts, I had also looked at rapidrepair.com, which will sell you a 5.5gen ipod video with a 240gb drive (for $450!). I think they also sell the larger backplates to do it yourself.

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 9
I would sell the 5.5G iPod and keep the nano.
But in the end it all depends what you set highest. Pure sound quality (probably 5.5G) or portability (nano). And of course how they would react if you sold off the gift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back