Rockbox + Iriver= Gapless playback
Jun 6, 2005 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

wanderman

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisticJeff
For approximately the past year the Rockbox team has been working very hard to port their firmware to the iRiver H100 Series platform. A tremendous amount of progress has been made and within the last couple of days they've achieved music playback in the form of MP3 and OGG.

I was trying to resist posting a news item as these developments are still very early on and many bugs exist but, as I sit hear listening to full gapless playback on my iRiver H140 I can't help but share it with you all.

Once again, this development is in its very early stages and most folks will not want to attempt enabling Rockbox at this point but this is indeed exciting news for our community.

Maybe rockbox will save the world ane end world hunger. They are just getting closer and closer.

Jun 6, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 14
I am using Rockbox on my H-120 right now and it is just beautiful. I never imagined hearing gapless on this thing, but now that I have started using Rockbox, I don't think I can ever use the original firmaware ever again.

One of the things that always bugged me with the iRiver firmware was the massive font that was used. With Rockbox I can use smaller fonts and I can actully read the song titiles before I pick the song. Rockbox right now is still in it's very ealry stages, I think I have already had to resest my player twice today, but I really don't care, everything about is just so much nicer than the original firmware.

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oga
What/who is rockbox? Link? Explanation?

Thanks for asking that, I was curious too.

Jun 7, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 14
IHP 120 = Karma with a broken scroll wheel
frown.gif

When this comes to the H320/340, then I'll be happy. It's really, really sad that a bunch of people who don't get paid for this were able to beat iRiver to fulfilling consumer's demands, though - it says a lot for the people who write the official iRiver firmware.

Jun 7, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 14
w00t w00t. i dont have the balls to try it yet, but when they release it, i am SOO getting it.

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #9 of 14
Prices on the iHP-1xx are already ridiculously high. A used 140 now cost as much on eBay as a new one cost a year ago...new ones cost as much as they did when they were first introduced. Silly iRiver for discontinuing these.

Jun 8, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thisp
IHP 120 = Karma with a broken scroll wheel
frown.gif

When this comes to the H320/340, then I'll be happy. It's really, really sad that a bunch of people who don't get paid for this were able to beat iRiver to fulfilling consumer's demands, though - it says a lot for the people who write the official iRiver firmware.

Maybe it will inspire other companies to "sponsor" the team in a way, to encourage them to create a better usable GUI to promote their product. Creative could certainly use it. Legal issues aside.

Jun 8, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by smiryan
Could you please list the iRiver players that Rockbox is compatible with.

Thanks in advance. Great news on the gapless with Rockbox.

H120 and H140 only for now, they said they might make firmware for the H320 and H340's after they finish that

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #14 of 14
Mp3 isn't fully gapless but i'd say it's close to 80%, ogg and FLAC are the only two that are fully gapless right now.

Also, if you havent checked out the recent update then do it. Preglow/Thom has added an update that increase mp3 sound quality by a staggering amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back