Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Mango (Stock Firmware)
Apr 6, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #766 of 1,316
I'm rocking Headwhacker's port from the opening post and Rockbox is what made my DX90 worth the money I paid for it. Thank you all for all your hard work! as I'm listening to it's fruits as I'm writing this and they are sweet as hell!

I've been spinning Rockbox for ages now - starting from a series of iPods and iMods, through Sansa, and now the availability of RB was what made me chose iBasso over Fiio.

For all of you newbies out there who just stepped into the world of Rockbox, I'm posting a list of changes I always apply to my Rockbox to make it look nice and ultra-plain, and some extra ones that make it easier to use on a touchscreen:
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Line Separator -> 1px
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Line Selector Type -> Bar (Inverse)
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Status-/Scrollbar -> Volume/Battery Display -> Numeric
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Status-/Scrollbar -> Scroll Bar -> Right
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Status-/Scrollbar -> Scroll Bar Width -> 6
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Clear Backdrop
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Show Icons -> No
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> While Playing Screen -> rockbox_failsafe
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Font -> 24-Terminus
- Settings -> General Settings -> Display -> Touchscreen Settings -> Line Padding in Lists -> 12px
- Settings -> General Settings -> Display -> LCD settings -> Backlight on Hold -> Off
- Settings -> General Settings -> Display -> LCD settings -> Backlight Fade In -> Off
- Settings -> General Settings -> Display -> LCD settings -> Backlight Fade Out -> Off
- Settings -> General Settings -> Display -> LCD settings -> First Buttonpress Enables Sreen -> Yes
- Settings -> General Settings -> Startup/Shutdown -> Idle Poweroff -> 1min
- Settings -> General Settings -> Startup/Shutdown -> Start Screen -> Files
- Settings -> Playback Settings -> Fade on Stop/Pause -> No
- Settings -> Playback Settings -> Last.fm Log -> Yes
- To set the external sd card as the starting place for file browsing press and hold the "external_sd" (Files -> mnt -> external_sd) folder until the context menu appears, then select "Start File Browser Here" from the list of options.

I assert though, that the above settings might easily prove not to be to everyone's liking. To all the rest though: enjoy.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #767 of 1,316
I'm rocking Headwhacker's port from the opening post and Rockbox is what made my DX90 worth the money I paid for it. Thank you all for all your hard work! as I'm listening to it's fruits as I'm writing this and they are sweet as hell!

I've been spinning Rockbox for ages now - starting from a series of iPods and iMods, through Sansa, and now the availability of RB was what made me chose iBasso over Fiio.

For all of you newbies out there who just stepped into the world of Rockbox, I'm posting a list of changes I always apply to my Rockbox to make it look nice and ultra-plain, and some extra ones that make it easier to use on a touchscreen:
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Line Separator -> 1px
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Line Selector Type -> Bar (Inverse)
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Status-/Scrollbar -> Volume/Battery Display -> Numeric
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Status-/Scrollbar -> Scroll Bar -> Right
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Status-/Scrollbar -> Scroll Bar Width -> 6
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Clear Backdrop
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Show Icons -> No
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> While Playing Screen -> rockbox_failsafe
- Settings -> Theme Settings -> Font -> 24-Terminus
- Settings -> General Settings -> Display -> Touchscreen Settings -> Line Padding in Lists -> 12px
- Settings -> General Settings -> Display -> LCD settings -> Backlight on Hold -> Off
- Settings -> General Settings -> Display -> LCD settings -> Backlight Fade In -> Off
- Settings -> General Settings -> Display -> LCD settings -> Backlight Fade Out -> Off
- Settings -> General Settings -> Display -> LCD settings -> First Buttonpress Enables Sreen -> Yes
- Settings -> General Settings -> Startup/Shutdown -> Idle Poweroff -> 1min
- Settings -> General Settings -> Startup/Shutdown -> Start Screen -> Files
- Settings -> Playback Settings -> Fade on Stop/Pause -> No
- Settings -> Playback Settings -> Last.fm Log -> Yes
- To set the external sd card as the starting place for file browsing press and hold the "external_sd" (Files -> mnt -> external_sd) folder until the context menu appears, then select "Start File Browser Here" from the list of options.

I assert though, that the above settings might easily prove not to be to everyone's liking. To all the rest though: enjoy.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #768 of 1,316
You forgot main thing.
Set Settings->System->Freq Scaling Governor to Performance. This setting really improves sound on DX90 w/o hardware mods.

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #770 of 1,316
If you can't find it, you should be using Headwhacker's builds. It is not required then. With older builds, it's set up by Lurker's firmware by default.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #772 of 1,316
So using the dual boot even though choosing Rockbox, should give me identical sound to 2.1.5 lurker? Not that I am sure that there is any difference anyway.                                   

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #773 of 1,316
No need for that Lurker's firmware is already set to performance. It's a unix level setting and should work globally.

Sorry, but I'm confused. Do I need to set Freq Scaling to Performance in Rockbox when using Napka's stock Rockbox (non-Headwhacker) build using Lurker0 firmware?

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #775 of 1,316
Sorry, but I'm confused. Do I need to set Freq Scaling to Performance in Rockbox when using Napka's stock Rockbox (non-Headwhacker) build using Lurker0 firmware?

Lurkers FW already has it set to "performance". This is just a toggle. Having this option available in Rockbox means you can use iBasso's stock FW and still has this option available.

Using Lurkers FW, and Napka's Latest RB build you should still set this option to Performance. I don't know what the default is but it can overwrite lurker's setting and can be turned off in RB.

my last RB build don't have this option. but cpu scaling is always set to "performance" via Lurker's FW mod.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #777 of 1,316

Yes. Use Rockbox settings to set Freq Scaling to Perfomance with latest builds.
Maybe I'll change default setting value to Performance soon, but that's a kind of changes that are never being accepted by Rockbox community.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #778 of 1,316
  So using the dual boot even though choosing Rockbox, should give me identical sound to 2.1.5 lurker? Not that I am sure that there is any difference anyway.                                   

Lurker's mod related to sound is built in in official firmware since 2.1.5. And yes, it was about setting CPU freq governor to Performance. So rockbox and official fw sound should be identical. Some people can hear the difference between fw 2.1.0 and 2.1.5 or 2.1.5 and 2.1.8, so I can't say they won't hear difference between Mango and Rockbox. Maybe it's placebo effect.
My DX90 is hardware modded and I can't hear the difference at all. But I was Lurker0's software mod alpha tester and I heard the difference when I used stock DX90. There was some testers, we didn't talk to each other, listened to fw mod and said very similar things about sound changes, so it's definitely affects sound at stock DX90. Of course, changes are very little comparing to hardware mod. Maybe you can hear it if you get two DX90 and switch your phones between them.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #779 of 1,316
I really don't think it's worth my time to extensively test and keep switching between all the FW. Choose the best functioning one to fit your needs and listen to some music :) The changes are not night and day. A whole lot of placebo is involved!

Was the hardware mod supposed to make a difference in sound?

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #780 of 1,316
  Was the hardware mod supposed to make a difference in sound?

Yes, it's mainly about powering part, keeping stock amp chips, but difference is huge. Power part is the main reason why firmware sometimes affects sound of portable devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back