Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
May 27, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #766 of 2,020
after I installed FIRMWARE_DOC20​08.zip and open the CWM recovery and try to install the cwm_rockbox_2013-03-25.zip that I've download and this what shows up:

http://img10.imagefra.me/i25q/250196922/m1tw_5e1_u9184.jpg

http://img15.imagefra.me/i75q/250196922/m1tw_850_u9184.jpg

many thanks
Noam

The "NO" s are there that you don't accidentally do something you don't want by repeatedly pressing select.
You have to scroll down, there will be 1 line with a "yes".

May 27, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #767 of 2,020
So I guess you guys are not getting the volume spikes issue running this DAP with Rockbox ?

May 27, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #769 of 2,020
  Never happened on mine, running rockbox or mango.

Right, so it must have been the original OS early revisions that had this volume spike issue.
Well in that case DX50 or HiFiMAN HM-601 LE it is then for me !

Though ClipZip is small/cheap, I wonder if the SQ jump will be noticeable going to DX50.

Did any of you install the opamp upgrade kit... ?
1). Opamp to 49710 x 2pcs
2). Capacitance to nichicon kw audio series x 4pcs

May 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #770 of 2,020

Right, so it must have been the original OS early revisions that had this volume spike issue.
Well in that case DX50 or HiFiMAN HM-601 LE it is then for me !

Though ClipZip is small/cheap, I wonder if the SQ jump will be noticeable going to DX50.

Did any of you install the opamp upgrade kit... ?
1). Opamp to 49710 x 2pcs
2). Capacitance to nichicon kw audio series x 4pcs

Yes, the sq jump will definitely be noticeable, I have an old rockboxed Sansa Clip+ and they're worlds apart. The sound picture is kind of in the same bracket, they both have that neutral not over-bassy sound, but a rockboxed DX50 plays in an entirely different category than the Clip imo. Way different. You'll have much tighter and more detailed bass, way better separation, both have 'crisp' detail but the DX' clarity is a step above. You can also expect much better performance at higher volumes as the DX' got more power, and you get away from that slightly 'can'-like sound of the Clip as soon as you raise the volume a bit. I run DN-1000's with mine as a side note and for reference.

May 27, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #771 of 2,020

Yes, the sq jump will definitely be noticeable, I have an old rockboxed Sansa Clip+ and they're worlds apart. The sound picture is kind of in the same bracket, they both have that neutral not over-bassy sound, but a rockboxed DX50 plays in an entirely different category than the Clip imo. Way different. You'll have much tighter and more detailed bass, way better separation, both have 'crisp' detail but the DX' clarity is a step above. You can also expect much better performance at higher volumes as the DX' got more power, and you get away from that slightly 'can'-like sound of the Clip as soon as you raise the volume a bit. I run DN-1000's with mine as a side note and for reference.

I made this same transition and agree with everything opis says above.  I always loved my Sansas and they're still fun, but once my ears were used to the DX50 the Sansas sounded so much less detailed.  They would still sound great for punk rock or very old recordings (I listen to plenty of both), but the DX50 is in a different class and well worth the money to me.  I'm very glad I bought it, and I recommend the DX50 + Brainwavz S1 bundle at MP4Nation.

May 27, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #772 of 2,020
Cool guys. I may just get one now and buy the opamp/caps upgrade kit from frugalphile trusted chip seller if he can source them...too many fake parts on ebay. The parts are listed elsewhere but total upgrade price is steep vs parts cost.
Opamp to 49710 x 2pcs
Capacitance to nichicon kw audio series x 4pcs

I like the new old stock musical flavor chip in the HiFiMAN HM-601LE but it is supposed to eat the battery fast and the unit looks 80's irony without the irony.

May 28, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #773 of 2,020
Well I think I will Rockbox my DX50 and see how it goes. Got a learning curve going. I used RB with my iRiver H120 and H140s. 

Or not. I thought this would be on the Rockbox site. Don't feel like doing a big search for all the info and possible bugs so will slip out again. :^)

May 28, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #774 of 2,020
Well I think I will Rockbox my DX50 and see how it goes. Got a learning curve going. I used RB with my iRiver H120 and H140s. 

Or not. I thought this would be on the Rockbox site. Don't feel like doing a big search for all the info and possible bugs so will slip out again. :^)

Unfortunately the port is not official. You have to follow the instructions from the link in first thread.
There are only very few bugs.
I also switched from ihp120 to the DX50 (after 9.5 years with it).

May 28, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #775 of 2,020
Ok, kind of confusing but so was RB for the 120, for me. Anyway, got it installed and it is going through the files now loading the music. Hum, can't get it to scan in music. Did fine on the iBasso software and plays but froze on the RB software. Odd, it stops scanning but I can't find the music to play. Well it looks like it scanned but where is the music? :^)

May 28, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #776 of 2,020
Ok, kind of confusing but so was RB for the 120, for me. Anyway, got it installed and it is going through the files now loading the music. Hum, can't get it to scan in music. Did fine on the iBasso software and plays but froze on the RB software. Odd, it stops scanning but I can't find the music to play. Well it looks like it scanned but where is the music? :^)

Did you tell RB to scan music files only at /mnt/external_sd ?

You must be scanning from the root folder (/) which includes everything and breaks the database scan.

May 28, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #777 of 2,020

Did you tell RB to scan music files only at /mnt/external_sd ?

You must be scanning from the root folder (/) which includes everything and breaks the database scan.

Where do you tell it to scan the external sd card? I found unmount and changed it to: mount /external_sd  but seems to be doing the same thing. 

May 28, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #778 of 2,020
^ I can't comment on scanning; I'm a File Browser guy. But if you can work it out, you will love Rockbox on the DX50. I would buy the DX90 in a heartbeat if they implemented Rockbox. Hopefully someone will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back