Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Jan 3, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #1,501 of 2,020
Does anyone know where I can get the iBasso rkbatchtool? The link in the OP isn't working and I can't find it on their website.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #1,503 of 2,020
There are 2 links to it in the OP - the first one is working. 

I didn't think the first one was from iBasso and I was trying to use the official one from them. Someone provided it for me and I got everything worked out. Thank you.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #1,504 of 2,020
Thanks to medmitrys revelation that the source code of Mango is public (what was new to me an ArgelErx), ArgerErx took some time to look at it and find what could help to optimize the Rockbox port.
Quote:
  BTW, I wanna share some information to rb developers I found recently. I think it would be helpful.
here is Mango 1.5.0 source code - https://github.com/liuwenlong/my-linux-gui
Pretty sure it can be used to fix some issues, like battery level, https://github.com/liuwenlong/my-linux-gui/blob/work/apps/player/playingView.cpp#L598-L612 or improve usb dac implemenration/etc :)

The first thing that ArgelErx did now is getting rid of the separate vold files for rockbox/mango. This was one of the few remaining steps to make the installation procedure conform to open source license.
Until now, the vold file used by rockbox was the same like the one from the official firmware but binary-patched by Ilia (it was great to have this solution until now, thanks Ilia!). For more information about it contact me or ArgelErx.

Now for those who would like to help testing it:
New experimetal dualboot app:
  1. tested by me and ArgelErx, but I would be happy If some more stability testing could be done by .......(you?)
  2. what you need: FW 1.6.0 with cwm (with or without rockbox preinstalled)
  3. Installation procedure: install zip from cwm
  4. benefits using the new dualboot app (other than testing): if you switch between Mango/rockbox there is a MUCH smaller boot-delay!

Download: https://www.sendspace.com/file/h4ceki

Edit: please test the newer version "patchset 3": https://www.sendspace.com/file/5xyjdj

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,505 of 2,020

BTW, I wanna share some information to rb developers I found recently. I think it would be helpful.
here is Mango 1.5.0 source code - https://github.com/liuwenlong/my-linux-gui
Pretty sure it can be used to fix some issues, like battery level, https://github.com/liuwenlong/my-linux-gui/blob/work/apps/player/playingView.cpp#L598-L612 or improve usb dac implemenration/etc :)

The first thing that ArgelErx did now is getting rid of the separate vold files for rockbox/mango. This was one of the few remaining steps to make the installation procedure conform to open source license.
Until now, the vold file used by rockbox was the same like the one from the official firmware but binary-patched by Ilia (it was great to have this solution until now, thanks Ilia!). For more information about it contact me or ArgelErx.

Now for those who would like to help testing it:
New experimetal dualboot app:
  • tested by me and ArgelErx, but I would be happy If some more stability testing could be done by .......(you?)
  • what you need: FW 1.6.0 with cwm (with or without rockbox preinstalled)
  • Installation procedure: install zip from cwm
  • benefits using the new dualboot app (other than testing): if you switch between Mango/rockbox there is a MUCH smaller boot-delay!

Download: https://www.sendspace.com/file/h4ceki

Edit: please test the newer version "patchset 3": https://www.sendspace.com/file/5xyjdj

How does this benifit the user? I dont know much about how Rockbox works.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,506 of 2,020

1. benefits using the new dualboot app (other than testing): if you switch between Mango/rockbox there is a MUCH smaller boot-delay!

with testing you can help to find potential bugs. When a bug report leads to a bug fix at the end, everybody benefits.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,507 of 2,020

• benefits using the new dualboot app (other than testing): if you switch between Mango/rockbox there is a MUCH smaller boot-delay!

with testing you can help to find potential bugs. When a bug report leads to a bug fix at the end, everybody benefits.

I know that testing is benifitial. Is the only difference between this and the current Rockbox a faster boot time?

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,508 of 2,020
yes but only the long boot time after switching from one player to the other is shorter. If you run the same player twice there is no speedup. But the main goal of my post was to find bugs.
Edit: or better said: to prove that there are no bugs

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #1,509 of 2,020
  1. benefits using the new dualboot app (other than testing): if you switch between Mango/rockbox there is a MUCH smaller boot-delay!

To clearify this: There is no longer a second reboot required, when you switch from Mango to Rockbox or the other way. Reboot into the chooser (hold switch engaged), then directly start the player of your choice.

On the outside this is purely cosmetic. On the inside we were able to remove another piece of needed OF customization (custom Vold) to get Rockbox running, reducing the necessary changes to the OF down to one: the chooser app.

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #1,510 of 2,020
please help :frowning2:
I was doing this step 
Reboot to cwm: Power off, then power on with holding vol+​
I couldn't turn on my device and now my device turns to a rock. No matter what button I press, it doesn't turn on....please help T_T

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #1,512 of 2,020
Can I install this latest build on a cwm'd 1.5.0 as well? (I prefer the way it sounds with my current phones)
I'm assuming there should be no problems, but this is my first leap to rockbox on DX50, so I figured I'd ask first; have used it on other devices though.
Also, does this build (or is it possible to get a hold of one) include modern_ui?
Seems like a really smart patch, (dare I say this functionality might be useful enough to somehow be implemented in other ports as well; maybe if it was toggleable through settings RB devs might respond to it better, hmm..?), so I'd definitely like to have it!

Thanks for all your hard work everyone involved! Been following the progress on this port every now and then.

edit: hmm.. I realize the boot files might be different, so.. I'll hold off for now.. Better safe than sorry.. Just might go ahead with installing an earlier build though..
Or hmm.. I guess I should use the old dualboot app with latest RB build.. Should have held off posting before processing the info myself properly.. The role of the different parts is becoming much clearer to me now.. Well it was clear already somewhat, I was more confused by which things get flashed together, seems like this changed at some point which lead to my confusion.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #1,513 of 2,020
  Can I install this latest build on a cwm'd 1.5.0 as well? (I prefer the way it sounds with my current phones)
I'm assuming there should be no problems, but this is my first leap to rockbox on DX50, so I figured I'd ask first; have used it on other devices though.
Also, does this build (or is it possible to get a hold of one) include modern_ui?
Seems like a really smart patch, (dare I say this functionality might be useful enough to somehow be implemented in other ports as well; maybe if it was toggleable through settings RB devs might respond to it better, hmm..?), so I'd definitely like to have it!

Thanks for all your hard work everyone involved! Been following the progress on this port every now and then.

edit: hmm.. I realize the boot files might be different, so.. I'll hold off for now.. Better safe than sorry.. Just might go ahead with installing an earlier build though..
Or hmm.. I guess I should use the old dualboot app with latest RB build.. Should have held off posting before processing the info myself properly.. The role of the different parts is becoming much clearer to me now.. Well it was clear already somewhat, I was more confused by which things get flashed together, seems like this changed at some point which lead to my confusion.

^^^ that's probably your best option for now. The latest thing is really an experimental version. I have the latest rockbox build with the standard ui running with the 1.5 cwm, and it works great. And I've used the modern ui version also, if I understand correctly what you mean by that, and it also worked well. 

Yes, it can be kind of a challenge keeping up with which bootloader/dualboot/cwm/mango to use with which rockbox version - hopefully as the port gets fully integrated into the rockbox.org heirarchy this will become easier to sort out. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #1,514 of 2,020

The problem is, that in the cwm-zips there is also the Mango app inside, so in the latest cwm-zips there is always 1.6.0-Mango-app.
>>Here you have a cwm-zip for 1.5.0 with the latest dualboot app:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/qdn70z

Then just take a rockbox build from the opening post 

Yes, I should probably consider to have it switchable in the settings. But the main problem why the patch is not liked by the rb-devs is that they don't have a dx50 and so cannot imagine well what the problem/need is. I think until an other rbdev has a dx50 i'm not putting effort in this. But the Gerrit page is helpful to store the patch and download it again that's why I do not abandon it :)

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #1,515 of 2,020
Just to clarify after reading the last post, if I'm running Rockbox already with 1.50 with cwm and rbdual all I have to do use the latest rockbox from the first post? The only thing troubling me is that at the moment I'm using a 'Rockbox' folder on my device and now should I change that to a '.rockbox' folder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back