RockBox For HiFiman HM601 and for HM801
Mar 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #286 of 364
Mar 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #289 of 364
Post #231

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #290 of 364
Thanks for the info but I tried that already I pressed the power button when it is on the black screen before it boots into rockbox normally but it just restarts into the hifiman os. 

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #292 of 364
hello . im from russia , and its main reason why my "english" so terrible. sorry
but i hope that you can help me,
i installs rockbox on my holy hifiman 601 ( of.firmware 0.08)
and dafuq  now he dont see any files (mp3 flac etc.) on board. but on microsd card - ok.
and its normal  ? i use my player with rockbox ~ 20 minutes . and power downs to 10%

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #293 of 364

Quote:
hello . im from russia , and its main reason why my "english" so terrible. sorry
but i hope that you can help me,
i installs rockbox on my holy hifiman 601 ( of.firmware 0.08)
and dafuq  now he dont see any files (mp3 flac etc.) on board. but on microsd card - ok.
and its normal  ? i use my player with rockbox ~ 20 minutes . and power downs to 10%

Yeah, this is normal only can access the SD card, no internal memory support in this version.

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #294 of 364
BTW folks, unless extensive changes have been implemented in RockBox since I last looked at the code (about 2 years ago, admittedly), it actually converts everything to 16/44 before it goes to the hardware output. Hi-res files will play, but they're being converted on the fly. I think it bypasses the resampler ONLY when the original sample rate is 44.1kHz. As far as bit depth conversion, I *THINK* that everything is converted to 24-bit before applying EQ effects and such before converting back to 16-bit, though I'm foggier on that. I had tried to figure out a way to alter the ouput to get higher resolution native playback from my iRiver H120, but was unsuccessful in the limited time I spent tinkering. I also recall the developers saying that the built-in resampler wasn't great, so it would be more advantageous to convert hi-res to redbook first with better software (such as iZotope RX 2 Advanced).

All this said, though, I think these players would likely still benefit from using Rockbox, even if only with redbook files. I actually often prefer listening to redbook files from my H120 than hi-res files from my computer. I just enjoy the sound more for some reason.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #295 of 364
after install rockbox , player cant connect with pc (windows 7 x64)
i cant upload new stuff and change fukn rokbox to official firmware
when player connected by usb  i cant OFF him, his dont off
and when he OFF , when i connect him to usb he being ON

after boot ON
connect to pc by usb
debug on player -- view HW info  -- windows give me 2 short unnormal sounds , and dont doing anything
program bootloader  "RK27Upgrade_Image" dont work
i cant copy on device IMG of original firmware , and cant do anything

what problem and how beat it?

heeelp to russian noob guy

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #296 of 364

Quote:
Thanks, but yeah, I'm on a Mac. Any other suggestions?

For free head to Stephen Booth's site (guy who develops Decibel, an audiophile player for Mac) and he offers a solid programme called Tag.

For something more robust and with two fingerprinting mechanisms as well as autosourcing and other neato features, try Jaikos.  For quick and dirty stuff I'll use Tag or even XLD.  For heavy lifting, Jaikos.

Loving the Rockbox discussion btw.  Works amazingly well and the AIFF support is of dire importance.  Many major companies are moving to AIFF because of the tagging and low CPU overhead which some (quacks) believe degrades the sound.  Storage is so cheap these days that it matters not to me, but I don't want multiple libraries.  AIFF on the 801 means I've relieved myself of truly requiring FLAC.

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #297 of 364
I am afraid you will have to do the same procedure as "makejoke" did and as I did on my HM-801. Look here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/579759/how-to-installing-and-uninstalling-rockbox-to-the-hifiman-hm-801-603-602-and-601#post_7893501
- and here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/579759/how-to-installing-and-uninstalling-rockbox-to-the-hifiman-hm-801-603-602-and-601/60#post_8251490

Quote:
after install rockbox , player cant connect with pc (windows 7 x64)
i cant upload new stuff and change fukn rokbox to official firmware
when player connected by usb  i cant OFF him, his dont off
and when he OFF , when i connect him to usb he being ON

after boot ON
connect to pc by usb
debug on player -- view HW info  -- windows give me 2 short unnormal sounds , and dont doing anything
program bootloader  "RK27Upgrade_Image" dont work
i cant copy on device IMG of original firmware , and cant do anything

what problem and how beat it?

heeelp to russian noob guy

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #298 of 364
Quote:
Loving the Rockbox discussion btw.  Works amazingly well and the AIFF support is of dire importance.  Many major companies are moving to AIFF because of the tagging and low CPU overhead which some (quacks) believe degrades the sound.  Storage is so cheap these days that it matters not to me, but I don't want multiple libraries.  AIFF on the 801 means I've relieved myself of truly requiring FLAC.

Totally agree about file support and multiple libraries, though for me it's the other way around having everything in FLAC (and a handful of MP3's). No i-devices for me ...

However, it seems like RockBox development has still quite a bit to go before it is stable and fully functional. I had to do some "more than interesting" things to my HM-801 to get it back to life, and while I had RockBox on it, I couldn't get the features I wanted to work. For instance EQ and saving EQ profiles to name the most important ones. This was 2012-01-19 version though. Anyway - I am NOT going to reinstall RockBox again.

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #299 of 364
I'm not sure why I lucked out but I loaded up Rockbox in about 5 minutes and after creating the internal DB, I have been enjoying the super response software with tons of codecs. My one head scratching moment comes form not being able to get a response from the buttons on the top of the unit.  The power button works, but the others do not.  Whether this is consistent across many or just a quirk with my unit, the other buttons work so I'm fine. 

After researching and discussing with some mainstream audio engineers and producers, from ad hoc DBTs they have conducted, AIFF seemed to out perform any compressed lossless codec.  Again, no idea why this would be, particularly if, for instance, the playback software was in "hog mode" and throwing the entire track or album in RAM.  There should not be any latency nor any change in sound, and decompressing FLAC or ALAC to some PCM format is trivial more any modern processor.  Regardless, my house is squarely in the Apple camp and I hated having to fight with various systems to get FLAC playing properly.  Server to PS3 with some transcoding in between, or transcoding to V0 or AAC and connecting a drive directly to the PS3... it was too much work over time, but I kept at it until last week when I tried my luck with an Apple TV.  Not a fancy device but cheap and completely useable as a headless device (very important) and no fan (even more important).  So the PS3 has taken to the side lines for family streaming and now that I can use AIFF on all my devices, I've begun transcoding and will archive in this format.  WAVE should have been equally okay, but tagging is borked.

Anyhow, Rockbox + 801 + AIFF is flawless thus far.  Also, my battery life seems to have been extended by 1/3 to 1/2.  I'm using the GAME amp and the sound is sublime.  

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #300 of 364
Can you play off of internal memory? Or is it restricted to SD cards with RockBox?

Quote:
I'm not sure why I lucked out but I loaded up Rockbox in about 5 minutes and after creating the internal DB, I have been enjoying the super response software with tons of codecs. My one head scratching moment comes form not being able to get a response from the buttons on the top of the unit.  The power button works, but the others do not.  Whether this is consistent across many or just a quirk with my unit, the other buttons work so I'm fine. 

After researching and discussing with some mainstream audio engineers and producers, from ad hoc DBTs they have conducted, AIFF seemed to out perform any compressed lossless codec.  Again, no idea why this would be, particularly if, for instance, the playback software was in "hog mode" and throwing the entire track or album in RAM.  There should not be any latency nor any change in sound, and decompressing FLAC or ALAC to some PCM format is trivial more any modern processor.  Regardless, my house is squarely in the Apple camp and I hated having to fight with various systems to get FLAC playing properly.  Server to PS3 with some transcoding in between, or transcoding to V0 or AAC and connecting a drive directly to the PS3... it was too much work over time, but I kept at it until last week when I tried my luck with an Apple TV.  Not a fancy device but cheap and completely useable as a headless device (very important) and no fan (even more important).  So the PS3 has taken to the side lines for family streaming and now that I can use AIFF on all my devices, I've begun transcoding and will archive in this format.  WAVE should have been equally okay, but tagging is borked.

Anyhow, Rockbox + 801 + AIFF is flawless thus far.  Also, my battery life seems to have been extended by 1/3 to 1/2.  I'm using the GAME amp and the sound is sublime.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back