RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Nov 1, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #5,761 of 6,034
I love my RME-ADI 2 however I really want a more powerful balanced amp for edge case headphones like the HE6 and such. I have been on the fence about getting a Violectric amp for a long time, not sure if they are worth the money. The new Schiit Midgard looks great too, and at $210 its cheap.

Anyone got a balanced amp with a lot of power to compliment the RME ADI-2? What did you settle on? Any issues or regrets?
Speaker amps. I use my speaker monoblocks. Very simple and no regrets, but it's not $210.

Nov 1, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #5,762 of 6,034
I'm not sure what are you trying to achieve by that. You can't send converted digital to analogue signal from Eversolo to RME because RME doesn't have analogue inputs, and its headphone amp is mediocre at most anyway so there would be no reason to use it as an amp-only even if that possibility had existed.
When you connect Eversolo to RME you just use its streamer, not the DAC portion of the Eversolo. That being said I compared DAC-Z8 (which is supposed to be superior in dac section than DMP-A6 I believe) with RME and found RME to be better DAC overall.
If you need DSP processor then you might need to look into some of miniDSP offerings.
Right so this is just really for curiosity and trying to understand how the interactions work and wanted to see if I could tell a difference between both DAC sections I do use the RME for the headphone amp and PEQ. The reason I was asking about the double conversion is from my understanding of how my HT Pre amp interacts with my Apple TV in that it's connected through a digital medium(HDMI) and say for music the signal gets converted/processed first by the ATV and then by my pre amp so I was thinking the same would happen with this set up but wasnt sure.

Nov 3, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #5,763 of 6,034
Has anyone read or seen any review of the new RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE?

I haven't seen a review of it yet, but my 2/4 arrives tomorrow and will be thoroughly A/B'ing against my Benchmark DAC3/HPA4 stack. I'll be happy to share what I find.

Nov 4, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #5,765 of 6,034
I noticed my RME moves around a bit when I push buttons and my viewing angle of the small screen made it hard to read from my normal seat. Fortunately, I managed to fix both issues with a pair of wedged-shaped speaker risers.

This pair from Peachtree has a solid top so I can either use one for a compact footprint and easy swivel or I can use both for increased stability and airflow around the unit. Not sure which I like better.

20231104_151507.jpg

20231104_151516.jpg

20231104_151702.jpg

20231104_151708.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #5,766 of 6,034
I noticed my RME moves around a bit when I push buttons and my viewing angle of the small screen made it hard to read from my normal seat. Fortunately, I managed to fix both issues with a pair of wedged-shaped speaker risers.

This pair from Peachtree has a solid top so I can either use one for a compact footprint and easy swivel or I can use both for increased stability and airflow around the unit. Not sure which I like better.

20231104_151507.jpg

20231104_151516.jpg

20231104_151702.jpg

20231104_151708.jpg
The second solution is perhaps the best for stability

Nov 7, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #5,768 of 6,034
The second solution is perhaps the best for stability

...and lower temperature.

After a couple days use, I've defaulted to the single riser set-up. I just love that's easy to swivel or move the unit, and I find I do that a lot since this is predominantly my work rig. Plus, the extra space is nice.

I have to put a finger on the side of the RME to press the buttons without sliding the unit slightly, but I can still operate everything one-handed. Plug insertion is not an issue at all. Up and down movement of the RME (tipping) only happens if I am purposefully pushing on one corner. Even then, there is absolutely no danger of it falling off of the riser. It gets pretty toasty when running my LCD-5 with EQ, but otherwise heat hasn't been an issue either.

Something I didn't consider previously is that the digital I/O port is blocked by the lip on the back of the single riser, but is not when using two. Could be an issue down the line. None of other ports are blocked that way though, and cables can be plugged in without hitting the tabletop.

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #5,770 of 6,034

Ok, so the remote app that RME developed and gave us for free(!) is super nice and so much more convenient to use than their rather convoluted hardware interface...

image.png

I've also changed methods for how to EQ and I must say that I landed on something even better than before (for me):

Rather than slavishly using the MiniDSP EARS and REW, I instead played tones manually and actually listened to what was louder and what was quieter and adjusted according to that. Then I did the same thing while listening to music and adjusted until everything sounded really nice, instead of measuring really nice.

The result is that I'm happier with what I got now than I've ever been! Super warm and comfy sound, and very laid back treble. Guess I'm not really an audiophile... :laughing:

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #5,771 of 6,034
Ok, so tha remote app that RME developed and gave us for free(!) is super nice and so much more convenient to use than their rather convoluted hardware interface...

I've also changed methods for how to EQ and I must say that I landed on something even better than before (for me):

Rather than slavishly using the MiniDSP EAR and REW, I instead played tones manually and actually listened to what was louder and what was quieter and adjusted according to that. Then I did the same thing while listening to music and adjusted until everything sounded really nice, instead of measuring really nice.

The result is that I'm happier with what I got now than I've ever been! Super warm sound, and very laid back treble. Guess I'm not really an audiophile...
Yes, the new remote software dashboard is such a nice time saver on the PC. And similarly I like how it it allows you to now quickly adjust and experiment with your personal sound preferences all up front instead of navigating the extensive menus on the RME. With so many variables from the source, DAC, extra amplification if used, headphones, pads, etc, the remote helps "dial in your sound" output without fiddling with the buttons and knobs.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #5,772 of 6,034
Ok, so the remote app that RME developed and gave us for free(!) is super nice and so much more convenient to use than their rather convoluted hardware interface...
I agree. I only recently bought my ADI-2 and I'm not sure I would have done were it not for this amazing piece of software. I envisioned having to spend a week tweaking the EQ to match my hearing but did it in hours with this beauty. It has transformed the use of this device. With this and the remote control, I rarely need to touch the box.
Rather than slavishly using the MiniDSP EARS and REW, I instead played tones manually and actually listened to what was louder and what was quieter and adjusted according to that. Then I did the same thing while listening to music and adjusted until everything sounded really nice, instead of measuring really nice.
I have had my hearing tested so I knew a good starting point and tweaked until everything sounded right but may try playing tones to see if I can improve it.

Nov 18, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #5,773 of 6,034
Where can i get the remote software ?

Nov 18, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #5,774 of 6,034
Nov 18, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #5,775 of 6,034
I am extremely happy with my ADI-2 DAC FS but am considering adding a headphone amp (Aune S17 Pro) which I can also use with my main hi-fi system (the ADI-2 is connected to my computer). Do any of you have experience of this combination?

I assume the DAC section of the ADI-2 is fully balanced while the headphone amp is just single ended so it would be worth using the external amp in balanced mode? I wonder why they didn't include a balanced amp, just not necessary I suppose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back