RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Sep 13, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #1,622 of 6,034
I want through an exercise with this dac recently. I was surprised that RME ADI-2 DAC does not sport Tidal in elusive mode with forced volume: Tidal stream must go through windows mixer where it gets re-sampled before it reaches this dac. That's bad news for those who's main source of music is Tidal stream. I wish I knew before purchase. Got it returned already. Sound wise it's really good indeed but nothing spectacular in my opinion. As a matter of fact pairing Arcam DAC with good Class A headphone amp outperformed RME headphone output to my ears.

I use mine in TIDAL with exclusive mode and forced volume every single day. You did something wrong.

Sep 14, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #1,624 of 6,034
Novice question ( 1 week with the ADI-2 DAC). Is it possible to pass through the line out (RCA and XLR) to another amp such that it is at a fixed volume to another amp and still use the RME's headphone output using the RME volume control to control the headphone output but not affect the line outs? I think the answer is no as far as I can understand from the manual. It looks like the volume control would control both the headphone and line out volumes if you want both those outs to be active at the same time. Thanks.

I am pretty sure you can. I did this with the ADI-2 Pro when I had it. The manual will answer this questions.

Sep 14, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #1,625 of 6,034
I want through an exercise with this dac recently. I was surprised that RME ADI-2 DAC does not sport Tidal in elusive mode with forced volume: Tidal stream must go through windows mixer where it gets re-sampled before it reaches this dac. That's bad news for those who's main source of music is Tidal stream. I wish I knew before purchase. Got it returned already. Sound wise it's really good indeed but nothing spectacular in my opinion. As a matter of fact pairing Arcam DAC with good Class A headphone amp outperformed RME headphone output to my ears.

Didnt you use the Tidal software?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...f-rme-adi-2-dac-and-headphone-amp.7546/page-4

https://inspiringheadphones.com/are-you-getting-the-best-out-of-tidal-hifi/

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #1,626 of 6,034
Arcam Ir-dac outperformed the RME ? Ok lol

Sep 14, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #1,628 of 6,034
Strong words....do you have the sciences to back it? Or is this “your” “matter of fact” :wink:
Fair enough. Of course it's my ears that I am talking about, however I have also blind tested this on few of my friends. They did prefer the combination with external amp.
Roon solves this issue.
Yes, roon does as well of other SW layes, however it is not acceptable at this price point.
Three other DACs that I have allow to push Tidal stream to them in WASAPI exclusive mode with no issues. iFi even accepts direct MQA stream. RME on the other hand does not, however it does allow Quobz to connect directly to it. It's the Tidal case that the RME guys have missed on their latest FW update... I asked support last week about when they do plan to update the FW again, but I have no answer yet.
Arcam Ir-dac outperformed the RME ? Ok lol
No, Arcam did not outperformed RME, but Arcam+good headphone amp did outperform RME DAC + it's internal head amp (both it's outputs actually). I suppose that achieving subjectively more preferable results by pairing components does not come as a surprise, does it?

Sep 14, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #1,629 of 6,034
Fair enough. Of course it's my ears that I am talking about, however I have also blind tested this on few of my friends. They did prefer the combination with external amp.

Yes, roon does as well of other SW layes, however it is not acceptable at this price point.

Three other DACs that I have allow to push Tidal stream to them in WASAPI exclusive mode with no issues. iFi even accepts direct MQA stream. RME on the other hand does not, however it does allow Quobz to connect directly to it. It's the Tidal case that the RME guys have missed on their latest FW update... I asked support last week about when they do plan to update the FW again, but I have no answer yet.

No, Arcam did not outperformed RME, but Arcam+good headphone amp did outperform RME DAC + it's internal head amp (both it's outputs actually). I suppose that achieving subjectively more preferable results by pairing components does not come as a surprise, does it?
Yeah ok lol. Did you change tthe RMe from low to high power?

Sep 14, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #1,632 of 6,034
I did look at the manual, and it seems to indicate you are unable to. I thought maybe there is a work around.

Yes, indeed you could be right and this only works in the Pro version. What is your use though? I have normal headphones connected to the ADI-2 headphone output and Stax amp connected to the RCA line out. I can toggle them both easily via pressing the volume knob and the volume level is different for both outputs.

Sep 14, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #1,635 of 6,034
You can ask on the RME forum, but I'm pretty certain you can't use the headphone and line out simultaneously on the ADI-2 DAC because it only has one DAC chip. The ADI-2 Pro can do it because it has two chips.

Oh, you can do both, it's just that you adjust volume for both as well. So either your ears will bleed from loud headphones or the line out will be too weak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back