RKV as pre-amp
Sep 14, 2003 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

CRESCENDOPOWER

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone else tried this? I just did, and about blew my speakers into 2 piles of dust. The volume pot was turned down as far as it would go, and it was extremely loud; any suggestions on a solution that will not prohibit fidelity.

Sep 14, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 11
I tried some rothwell inline attenuators and the sonic impact was negligible through speakers. I used them at the amps input. While they didnt screw up the sound you could hear a small difference. If the RKV is that loud, I doubt the attenuators would be enough though. The only solution I can think of is to have the gain lowered on the RKV.

Sep 15, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 11
CRESCENDOPOWER,

Could you explain in a little more details what you did and how you did it ? What speakers did you use, how did you connect them to RKV, or was RKV hooked to something else, do you have the Impedanzer ? Thanx

Sep 15, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 11
The in and out of RCA jacks in the back are connected in parallel that means that if you connect the out of the RKV to the amp input, simply you are connecting all the source level to it, like connecting the source to the amp directly, the RKV is not a pre amp, according to the manual, in other words, the pot does not control the RCA outs on the back ot it......

Sep 15, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 11
Full output!!
eek.gif

Sep 15, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 11
To use the RKV as a preamp, you'll need to get an adapter that will convert a 1/4" phone plug to a pair of RCA's. You'll actually use the headphone output as your preamp out. Definitely NOT the passthrough on the rear.

Sep 15, 2003 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 11
I use my MG Head as a preamp out. I made my own 1/4 to RCA cable. It does get really loud fast. I usually use it at the 2 or 3 position on the stepped volume control.

Sep 15, 2003 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 11
According to the manual the output impedance of the RKV is around 250-400Ohm. Does that mean that there's going to be a mismatch between input impedance of the power amp? In other words what's the common input impedance of the power amps ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back