Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Apr 10, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #1,816 of 1,873
I am curious what you all think about organizing a library. Do you stream only, or do you buy digital albums? I use Roon and every once in a while I ask myself if I should buy the albums that I have been listening lately over streaming qobuz -> roon.
But I am much less attached to albums I buy digitally than I used to when I bought CDs. I ripped all my 1000 CDs many years ago and store them, but only stream them via Roon now. And I cannot make out any differences in SQ between a ripped CD and a stream. So there is not much of an incentive to buy digital downloads, especially with the hassle of downloading, copying, and having several backups etc.
I sometimes miss the days when I bought new CDs in town and was anticipating playing them at home over my CD player. now I have everything at my fingertips, but the joy of anticipation is somewhat gone. In that sense streaming music over Roon has changed the way I consume music, and not just to the best. And even though Roon is a great software I don’t have the same pride in collecting music and building a library. Because it is just so easy and doesn’t cost to add to my library.
I like the idea of building a library of music I like and understand it as my journey through music and life, basically. My library represents my musical journey and development and is very valuable as such to me. But adding an album in Roon is not the same as putting it on my shelf and seeing the library grow. And buying digital downloads hasn’t really make up for it.
How do you go about it?

I’ve recently unpacked my CD collection form 20-30 years ago into special cabinets, and add a CD transport. The listening experience is just different. When putting a CD on, one commits to a lean back session and letting it play out as originally intended. I find the experience more relaxing and immersive.

I still love streaming and on demand comprises a most of my listening time. But physical media offers a tangible experience that forces once to focus more on the totality of the album, as intended vs. cherry picking portion of it on demand.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #1,817 of 1,873
I’ve recently unpacked my CD collection form 20-30 years ago into special cabinets, and add a CD transport. The listening experience is just different. When putting a CD on, one commits to a lean back session and letting it play out as originally intended. I find the experience more relaxing and immersive.

I still love streaming and on demand comprises a most of my listening time. But physical media offers a tangible experience that forces once to focus more on the totality of the album, as intended vs. cherry picking portion of it on demand.
Definitely resonates with me, I no longer use physical media, but I do fight the urge to jump all over my music collection. Sometimes I'm in that kind of mood, I want to play a selection of tracks that I enjoy and I skip all over the place. But, I find it much more relaxing to put an album on, sit back and listen. I do try and do this for new releases or music recommendations, my mind is more open to listening and it gives me a chance to relax and 'accept' the music. Particularly with genres or artists I might not listen to regularly I find that my brain might need a little time adjusting to the style of the music, but once there I've come to appreciate albums that I might have simply switched off after the first track. I do have to mentally fight that urge to switch over to something else if the first track doesn't quite catch me immediately.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #1,818 of 1,873
So i have been eyeing this amp for quite some time, but there was no easy way for me to audition one.
I took a break from Headfi from q4 2019 to q4 2023 ish as i was busy with other ventures.
I came back recently and I was surprised to find out that there is a local dealer for the AIC 10 bal (Audio Exotics SG) .

Booked an appointment , heard it at the store (Hooked up to a Wadax Atlantis DAC). Bought one.

1713326242931.png

Temporary shelf setup (as im probably moving houses in the near future) . Looking back, I should have went with the platinum version to match my other components better , damnit.

Anyway even with stock tubes, the AIC-10 is indeed very source sensitive . For the Susvara, the AIC-10 is just simply a much better amp than the Bliss that I have on hand. Its far more dynamic, organic and hence more engaging.
I'm not sure if I like it more than the INT25 , but time will tell. To be clear, I'm looking for more compact components for my headphone setup . I have 2ch plans for larger speaker amps for when I move houses. I do not want to place such massive and hot components near my desk anymore.

Some notes before I get into early DAC pairings:
I prefer a more 'Analogue' sound signature as opposed to a 'Digital' one.
What i mean by analogue is the sound signature of Vinyl on a good Turntable setup - rounded, liquid , organic , soft ish
Something sounds 'digital' to me when it has a dry, clinical sound signature. Extreme examples of this for me are the older iterations of the Gustard Sabre DACs and the modern Topping DACs .
IMO, 'Analogue' or 'Digital' sounding is a subjective preference. The most 'high end' DACs ive tried like the Wadax Atlantis Reference , the MSB Select and the Lampizator Horizon have sound signatures that are more towards 'Analogue' . The Vivaldi happens to be on the more 'digital' end of the spectrum (a lot less with the Apex upgrade) , as with the Dave. Just because the 'High End' DACs are tuned that way, doesnt mean that everyone will like it. At the end of the day , this is a subjective hobby.
The Wadax Atlantis Reference Duo (DAC + Server) is one of the closest to what 'Analogue' sounds like. I've heard this on a 1m+ ? 2ch setup recently, A/B ing one the worlds best analogue source (DaVinci Audio Gabriel turntable) against the Atlantis Reference Duo . BTW, this is at Audio Exotics SG , the local Riviera Audio Dealer.
photo_2024-04-12_14-15-40.jpg
At times, they were almost indistinguishable, even through streaming . What an amazing DAC.

Anyway i'm side tracking a little here.

In order of my preferences , for the DACs that i have on hand , with stock tubes on the AIC:
1) MSB Select (newest version with max specs less DD) - Price aside, it is quite the obvious choice for me given its creamy analogue like sound signature, while being the best technical performer out of the bunch by quite a margin. I felt like the AIC was not being held back at all with this DAC . Its relaxed anlogue signature just 'disappears' into the music , letting the AIC do its thing.
2) Rockna Wavedream Signature XLR - A buddy @Roasty lent me this. Absolutely fantastic DAC , especially given its price (relatively). I would say it falls behind the Vivaldi Apex in technical performance (less resolving , less stage width/depth) , but more than makes up for it with a more 'Analogue' tone and more fun (Super dynamic and lively). Overall , a great pairing with the AIC if you like slam.
3) mDave - The only complaints I have about this DAC is its relatively flat ish '2D' soundstage which is noticeable on speakers but not quite on headphones and its 'Digital' tone. If you dont mind the 'Digitalness' and are using headphones, this is still pretty good on a technical standpoint. The clean and relatively lean ish tone of the Dave is mitigated by the richer tone of the AIC, more towards my preferences.
4) DCS Vivaldi Apex - Not a good match for me . Great technicalities (2nd only to the Select) , but too much bloom for this pairing to work. I like this DAC with cleaner Solid State amps , but the AIC is just not it . To be fair, DCS said that the Vivaldi is meant to be played as a full system , with the clock and the upscaler. With that in mind , take this Vivaldi comparison with a pinch of salt.

I've heard far more DACs in my life, but i see no point in comparing them unless you have them on the same setup. Therefore i shall refrain from commenting on those.

The list will probabaly change once i start swpping tubes, but this is what i have to say for now.

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #1,819 of 1,873
What an amazing setup... I have the Riviera paired with "only" the MSB Premier (the Select's little brother) and it's the best DAC/amp combo I've ever heard. Cannot even imagine the pairing with a Select. Actually, I don't want to imagine, otherwise my wallet will start to shiver :wink:

Congrats on getting the AIC-10 it's a timeless purchase that will be TOTL for many many years.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #1,820 of 1,873
It will be some time before I can try an AIC-10, but one question I have that is crucial, yet seems almost never mentioned about HP amps: How mono is the presentation? The specs I've seen are like -50db crosstalk, which is very high. If you listen at 80db, there will be 30db of opposite channel in each side. Much closer to vinyl level stereo separation than digital.

I know a lot of designers, esp for tube amps, go this route because it emphasizes vocals and bass. But coming from pro-audio and years of heasphone listening, I can't really deal with a stereo image that goes 9:30 to 2:30.

So in the real world, are the left and right channels seperate and capable of full width presentations, or do they fall closer to the center?

I'm going to have to check this one out myself, but I've had multiple experiences now where I bought or rented a well regarded amp with a disappointingly narrow image. (AMP-23R was one of the worst offenders)

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #1,821 of 1,873
AIC-10 number 1

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #1,822 of 1,873
That guy did consulting work for hifi brands and IMO he is way too friendly with the owners and designers to say anything really negative in public. The ones he dumps on probably are not his friends or clients. The video was at least entertaining. Might be a good person to speak with IRL to get his real thoughts on the various amp.

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #1,823 of 1,873
AIC-10 number 1

Sajid is a good guy. This is obviously one person’s perspective, but I do find that while I may disagree in some areas, I will always want to listen to something he recommends. I may not agree it is the best, but usually deserving to be on my short list.

I chose the Mass-Kobo 465 over the Riviera based on CanJam and a conversation with Sajid. Both are terrific and I think can probably swap based on mood. Hopefully in time I can hear more of the Riviera.

I did hear the Trafomatic in a friend’s system and it is a quality product. It has probably the least tube sound of any tube amp I auditioned. I agree below the Riviera, MK and Zahl, but close enough that taste can make a difference in my view.

Viva was not auditioned. I liked Viva perhaps over the Riviera and behind the Mass Kobo. Again, at that level any of these can swap positions.

All good stuff if you have the coin!

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #1,824 of 1,873
Imho nothing beats Shsvara with WE300b tubes on something like Envy and the euphonic sweet mids you get with it.

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #1,825 of 1,873
It will be some time before I can try an AIC-10, but one question I have that is crucial, yet seems almost never mentioned about HP amps: How mono is the presentation? The specs I've seen are like -50db crosstalk, which is very high. If you listen at 80db, there will be 30db of opposite channel in each side. Much closer to vinyl level stereo separation than digital.

I know a lot of designers, esp for tube amps, go this route because it emphasizes vocals and bass. But coming from pro-audio and years of heasphone listening, I can't really deal with a stereo image that goes 9:30 to 2:30.

So in the real world, are the left and right channels seperate and capable of full width presentations, or do they fall closer to the center?

I'm going to have to check this one out myself, but I've had multiple experiences now where I bought or rented a well regarded amp with a disappointingly narrow image. (AMP-23R was one of the worst offenders)
I frankly have 0 idea how crosstalk measurements play into the mono sound, but aic is one of the best staging amps I've ever heard. Raw image clarity is higher on a couple things (wa33 and 465/402) but the grandiose stage presentation isn't something g I've gotten on any other amp

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #1,827 of 1,873
AIC-10 number 1

I think it will depend on the consistency of the chain when he auditioned all those amps. I believe he owned some of the amps which he listened to his own chain at home, and listened to other amps in an audition at CanJam or headphone shops.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #1,828 of 1,873
Sajid is a good guy. This is obviously one person’s perspective, but I do find that while I may disagree in some areas, I will always want to listen to something he recommends. I may not agree it is the best, but usually deserving to be on my short list.

I chose the Mass-Kobo 465 over the Riviera based on CanJam and a conversation with Sajid. Both are terrific and I think can probably swap based on mood. Hopefully in time I can hear more of the Riviera.

I did hear the Trafomatic in a friend’s system and it is a quality product. It has probably the least tube sound of any tube amp I auditioned. I agree below the Riviera, MK and Zahl, but close enough that taste can make a difference in my view.

Viva was not auditioned. I liked Viva perhaps over the Riviera and behind the Mass Kobo. Again, at that level any of these can swap positions.

All good stuff if you have the coin!

The Mass Kobo is excellent. Only had a short demo, but drove the Susvara (one of the hardest to drive properly) beautifully. If I owned it, I wouldn't be thinking about other amps at all. :)

-----

The AIC-10 doesn't have formal pre-amp capability does it? Has anyone used as such? On the fence in replacing some amps with it.. my audition with it was amazing. Probably the best dynamic amp I've heard. But in the next year or two most of my listening will probably skew 2channel, so just evaluating each purchase as such. Will search this thread as well. Lot of great info in it overall.

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #1,829 of 1,873
AIC-10 number 1

Watched it. I mostly agree with his take, and of course as everyone points out, tastes and preferences make such a big role when splitting hair between great amps. Mostly, the video is very informative for anyone researching for ideas what amps to check out and demo.

Personally, I preferred the AIC-10 to the 465 when I demo-ed them head-to-head (with both the Susvara and Tungsten) but @Frankie D described the differences well. I preferred the fuller and more textures sound of the AIC vs. the more leaner and neutral one of the 465. Tastes and all. Also thought the Zahl was great with the Sus (not powerful enough for the Tungsten, btw) but that is the most neutral amp ever, so if one looks for an amp that completely disappears from the chain, a prime goal for many (most?) audiophile, than it can be an excellent choice (and a wonderful feature set). I settled on the AIC10 as, simply put, it moves me emotionally to highs beyond any other amp I ever tried (at <$50k, to put a safe caveat:wink:).

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #1,830 of 1,873

Users who are viewing this thread

Back