Ripping SACD's... what bitrate?
Jan 15, 2011 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
So I've been sitting on my SACD collection for a while. They don't get played often because the universal player is in storage and the transport for my main living room stack has also been put out of the way, since almost all my music now comes directly out of the HAPC. However recently I've decided to de-orphan my thankfully fairly meagre SACD collection and rip them to a more readily accessible format, which has meant heaving the Scarlatti transport back onto the rack. I've established (and btw, I'd love to be proven wrong) that there's no good way I can extract digital data from the Scarlatti transport or the Scarlatti DAC: the two communicate via the encrypted firewire connection and that seems to be that.

I've therefore hooked the Scarlatti DAC to one of my Prism Orpheus's via analog, I've painstakingly set the levels for a couple of discs and I'm wondering what bitrate to rip in. 192/24 or 96/24? Or something else more esoteric? I don't want to be recording effectively redundant bits if possible.

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 3
24 bit 96KHz. no audio past 40KHz anyway

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 3
I assumed 96K would be better for all sorts of reasons, but I wondered if I'd be capturing the full DSD->analog stream at 96K.

(I assume I am, since a number of SACD's I have sound suspiciously like upsampled CD's)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back