Ripping CDs to FLAC using EAC and SQ bad
Jun 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FiNoobie

New Head-Fier
I just got a 16 GB D2, loaded latest firmware. I have ripped a few CDs to FLAC using EAC (compression=6). When playing back the tracks, the volume and SQ of the FLAC files are bad. I listened to the same tracks on 192 bitrate MP3 using the same settings on the D2, and the Mp3 sounded much much better. The volume was stronger, the overall SQ was better ( I could even hear cracklings in the record), where the same track ripped to FLAC sounded low, far away and not as clear at all.

Anyone know what's going on?

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 13
2457723726_5ca8fb6000.jpg

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 13
Can you hear the same audible difference when you play back the stream using your computer? Cause this sort of don't make sense...

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you hear the same audible difference when you play back the stream using your computer? Cause this sort of don't make sense...

I haven't listened from the computer to compare, I'll try later.

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 13
Maybe there is a decoding issue with FLAC and the latest firmware. Also, what earphones are you using and what program did you use to rip the MP3s?

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 13
D2 does not play flac very good.

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe there is a decoding issue with FLAC and the latest firmware. Also, what earphones are you using and what program did you use to rip the MP3s?

HipHop, I use Grado Rs1s with a portable amp and the Mp3s were either downloaded or ripped from CDs using WIndows Media PLayer.

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Envoy of Light /img/forum/go_quote.gif
faichiu, It should still play it better than MP3.
Did you follow a guide to rip with EAC, FiNoobie? If you didn't(and even if you did), I suggest you look at this excellent guide:
jiGGafellz' Step-by-Step Guide to Secure CD Ripping w/Exact Audio Copy

Envoy, I followed this guide:
EACRipping - SqueezeboxWiki

Udate: I reinstalled EAC and followed your guide. The only issue I found was that my Cd drive was not found on the website so I couldn't find my compensation number

Users who are viewing this thread

Back