RIP Mister Wizard
Jun 13, 2007 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

usc goose

Headphoneus Supremus
The inspiration for generations of scientists everywhere. I miss being a kid, in awe of Mister Wizard. Rest in peace.

Jun 13, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 17
Gads! He must have been ancient! I started watching him even before I was a teenager and I'm well into my 60s!

There were only three channels of TV back then and I made it a point never to miss his show. Now I feel really bad, though. I tried quite a few of his experiments, but just not enough of them.

He did help convince me that science and engineering was the way to go.

Thank you, Mr Wizard. You will be missed.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 17
I loved to watch Mr. Wizard. Don Herbert had just the right balance of seriousness (he didn't talk down to us kids) and showmanship to hook me. The pacing of the show allowed viewers to actively consider what was going on before a phenomenon was explained, sort of like a little mystery. What a wonderful influence on kids!

This quote sums up his impact nicely. Quote:

"Over the years, Don has been personally responsible for more people going into the sciences than any other single person in this country," George Tressel, a National Science Foundation official, said in 1989. "I fully realize the number is virtually endless when I talk to scientists. They all say that Mr. Wizard taught them to think."

To learn more about the show and Don Herbert read here.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 17
He certainly effected generations of kids. I saw reruns of his Mr Wizards World: the more educational show that was on Nickelodeon. Liked watching it and You Can't do that On Television (for anyone around my age that remembers that one
biggrin.gif
). He still is a great roll model!

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 17
Wow, he just passed away? I remember him on Letterman like 15+ years ago, I think he was 70?

RIP Mr. Wizard

Jun 13, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He certainly effected generations of kids. I saw reruns of his Mr Wizards World: the more educational show that was on Nickelodeon. Liked watching it and You Can't do that On Television (for anyone around my age that remembers that one
biggrin.gif
). He still is a great roll model!

didnt that show for the intro credits have a cartoonish face crack? and then when people said something they'd get gooped? i was probably 8 when this show was on. Im 11 now....26.

Jun 13, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkestred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
didnt that show for the intro credits have a cartoonish face crack? and then when people said something they'd get gooped? i was probably 8 when this show was on. Im 11 now....26.

yep...it was originally a Canadian show, but when it became popular on Nick, well Nick made a lot of spin off shows that involved the green slime. I also remember a trivia/contest show called Double Dare that had a lot of slime too.

well since we're going through nostalgia...here's some You Can't Do That on Television clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO5agWqCvs8

Mr Wizard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wv0wM8Ht2w

And you can get DVDs:
http://www.mrwizardstudios.com/

Jun 13, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 17
I loved Mr. Wizard....between his show and a string of great science teachers at school, they fostered my love of learning how things work. It's too bad something like this isn't on the air today....well at least I'm not aware of anything, but I haven't had cable for years now.

Jun 13, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 17
No! I loved Mister Wizard! God, I watched him all the time on Nickelodeon.

RIP, man, RIP.

Jun 13, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 17
Wow. I talk about Mr. Wizard all the time. I watched his show all the time when I was little. He was the best. RIP.

Davesrose: I remember You Can't do that On Television. I ask people if they ever saw that show, and they give me a blank stare. You are the first person to bring that show up since I have seen it. Crazy show...

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 17
Aww, that is sad news. My Mom introduced me to Mr. Wizard, and we watched him on TV. Went and saw him in person once when he was at the Seattle Science Center. He was a really nice, personable fellow who had a wonderful mix of knowledge and showmanship.

I wonder if anyone can fill his shoes? Bill Nye is not the same. (I like Bill Nye, but he's no Mr. Wizard.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back