RIP David Bowie
Jan 11, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #16 of 50
  Bowie has been an acquired taste for me throughout my life.  Every year or two, another one of his past albums "Clicks" for me.  I was lucky enough to see him in concert in 1995. 

VH1 Classic celebrated the "Blackstar" release on Friday with a David Bowie marathon.  I caught the concert film "Ziggy Stardust" and then the VH1 Story Tellers concert.  I listened to "Blackstar" all weekend and really like it.  It inspired me to listen to some of his back catalog as well.  It was truly a David Bowie weekend for me.

To find out this morning that he passed was just shocking.  It's really hit me hard.  His last 2 albums have been very strong.  We've not only lost a legend and an icon, but also an artist that was currently producing high quality work.  To know that he was terminally ill when he created "Blackstar" adds further depth and meaning to it.

He will be very much missed but leaves us with an amazing body of work to appreciate.  My thoughts go out to his family and those that knew him best.

I saw a David Bowie documentary recently. I forget where I saw it, but it was called, "Five Years." It was really good...

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #17 of 50
RIP David Bowie/Davy Jones aka Ziggy Stardust, Major Tom, The Thin White Duke and many other alter Ego's that traveled through your musical universe to observe our world and predict/inspire our next move!

In the end you took us by surprise, once more, as you have done so many times by in the "Lazarus" song/video predicting your own death and mortality we didn't want to believe existed!

The "Darkstar" song/video showed us the death of Major Tom or the Starman, the end of a 45 year journey where we in the end became the voyeur! 

What a fantastic ending and what a ride you gave us!  

Last night I felt asleep listening to the Blackstar album, thinking that I finally had the album all figured out!  "A New Beginning" would be the title of a review of this album I could have written...

Then, I woke in the middle of the night, checked my Email and learned you weren't here anymore! 

At first I felt extremely sad but then later I realized that this was the ending you more or less had staged for the past 18 months and I smiled!

Last gift to all of us and it had to be a surprise! Unpredictable even beyond death!

Thank you for all the memories your music brought me, baffled my mind, sounds of visions I grew up with and that always will be a part of me :)

The Man Who Sold The World :)

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #18 of 50
As I begin to get over the shock, I begin to appreciate Bowie's final act. (At least as I understand it)

He's given an impossible situation:  Terminal cancer.

Somehow, Bowie:

1) Creates a purpose for himself for his final year of life, while at the same time doing what he loves.  
2) Somehow, finds a way to go out on his own terms.
3) Thanks his fans while simultaneously rewarding them with another classic album.
4) Turns his own death into a work of art.
5) Adds to his legacy and mystic.  

It's not a happy ending but it's quite a remarkable one.

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #19 of 50
  As I begin to get over the shock, I begin to appreciate Bowie's final act. (At least as I understand it)

He's given an impossible situation:  Terminal cancer.

Somehow, Bowie:

1) Creates a purpose for himself for his final year of life, while at the same time doing what he loves.  
2) Somehow, finds a way to go out on his own terms.
3) Thanks his fans while simultaneously rewarding them with another classic album.
4) Turns his own death into a work of art.
5) Adds to his legacy and mystic.  

It's not a happy ending but it's quite a remarkable one.

There is usually no happy ending when people pass away but It's the ending that David Bowie as an artist wanted us to have and share.. under those very unfortunately circumstances terminal cancer is.. if he had wanted us to be part of this, he would have..

The final chapter of what started out with "The Man Who Sold The World" and finished with "Blackstar" maybe a few mishaps along the way but they will all be part of the whole 25 studio albums releases by one of our most significant rock artist so far.

His legacy will always be there and it will continue to grow more than ever and that's not the saddest thing in the world!

Maybe I sound a bit cynical but that's certainly not my intend and all my thoughts goes out to his family. 

I just very much appreciate that he was here and although we always believed that he physically would be here longer than us, of course not realistic, then his music and performance will continue to inspire new artists that will keep reminding us, maybe even giving us new moments that will twist our brain and entice our feelings.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #20 of 50
Such a tragic end, but he handled his artistic swansong majestically. Blackstar is a beautiful album.

RIP David Bowie.

Staggers me there's no comment on the homepage of Head-Fi.  I guess its not about the music after all.

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #21 of 50
  Such a tragic end, but he handled his artistic swansong majestically. Blackstar is a beautiful album.

RIP David Bowie.

Staggers me there's no comment on the homepage of Head-Fi.  I guess its not about the music after all.

Yep i was looking for something about Bowie on head-fi too and this thread is the only thing i found. How sad.

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #22 of 50
  RIP David Bowie/Davy Jones aka Ziggy Stardust, Major Tom, The Thin White Duke and many other alter Ego's that traveled through your musical universe to observe our world and predict/inspire our next move!

In the end you took us by surprise, once more, as you have done so many times by in the "Lazarus" song/video predicting your own death and mortality we didn't want to believe existed!

The "Darkstar" song/video showed us the death of Major Tom or the Starman, the end of a 45 year journey where we in the end became the voyeur! 

What a fantastic ending and what a ride you gave us!  

Last night I felt asleep listening to the Blackstar album, thinking that I finally had the album all figured out!  "A New Beginning" would be the title of a review of this album I could have written...

Then, I woke in the middle of the night, checked my Email and learned you weren't here anymore! 

At first I felt extremely sad but then later I realized that this was the ending you more or less had staged for the past 18 months and I smiled!

Last gift to all of us and it had to be a surprise! Unpredictable even beyond death!

Thank you for all the memories your music brought me, baffled my mind, sounds of visions I grew up with and that always will be a part of me :)

The Man Who Sold The World :)

JK, nobody who wrote this could be all that cynical! Very insightful, very well said...I agree with the post above. Because of the impact of the announcement of Bowie's death, I really hadn't thought about it before reading that post. Head-fi should have offered some kind of tribute to honor David Bowie. So many other sites did that. He was the top story on national news broadcasts for God's sake. Bowie should have been honored on the homepage of such a great site as Head-Fi, a site dedicated to music and musical reproduction. You kind of blew that one head-fi!

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #23 of 50
  JK, nobody who wrote this could be all that cynical! Very insightful, very well said...I agree with the post above. Because of the impact of the announcement of Bowie's death, I really hadn't thought about it before reading that post. Head-fi should have offered some kind of tribute to honor David Bowie. So many other sites did that. He was the top story on national news broadcasts for God's sake. Bowie should have been honored on the homepage of such a great site as Head-Fi, a site dedicated to music and musical reproduction. You kind of blew that one head-fi!

+1

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #25 of 50
Completely agree, absolute disgrace. Can't fathom why head-fi didn't even acknowledge his passing. The reason we support this site is that ultimately we are music lovers first and foremost. Without the likes of David Bowie this site and similar ones would need not exist.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #26 of 50
I have to say I disagree with the notion that Head-Fi should mark Bowie's passing in any way - after all, the focus of this site is the hardware, more than the music/software side of things.

Besides, there are forums for us members to remember Bowie any way we see fit.

I do have my occasional gripe with Head-Fi, but this is not one of them...

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #27 of 50
I have to say I disagree with the notion that Head-Fi should mark Bowie's passing in any way - after all, the focus of this site is the hardware, more than the music/software side of things.

Besides, there are forums for us members to remember Bowie any way we see fit.

I do have my occasional gripe with Head-Fi, but this is not one of them...

Nope. I have seen adverts for new music or reviews of other musical recommendations on the front page before.

To not at least comment on the death of such an iconic figure is ludicrous.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #29 of 50
Nope. I have seen adverts for new music or reviews of other musical recommendations on the front page before.

To not at least comment on the death of such an iconic figure is ludicrous.

Unlike Chesky, Bowie was not a sponsor
evil_smiley.gif

This site long ago ceased being about enjoyment of music.

Jan 16, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #30 of 50

Unlike Chesky, Bowie was not a sponsor
evil_smiley.gif

This site long ago ceased being about enjoyment of music.

The members make the site just like employees determine the quality of a business .  Head-Fi is mostly about ear and head phones, and the equipment that feeds them.  Music, humor (which sometimes is as funny as any comedy site), and other topics come after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back