Rhapsodio - An overlooked brand of nice IEMs
Feb 3, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #2,131 of 2,508
  It was still there before the Chinese hairstylist got his way with me 
frown.gif

Why sir! This is an Audio forum, not somewhere you can post erotic stories...

But please....continue.
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #2,132 of 2,508
I need some help. New to the high end iem market.  My old Westone 3s kicked the bucket and I am looking for a replacement.  I know quite a jump from Westone 3s to something new, but the Solar / Galaxy are peeking my interest.  I was looking at the Nobles and that research lead me here. 

About me - I played music in my youth so I have an appreciation for lots of different music from Classical to Heavy metal.  I listen at work and at night to relax - I could be Maiden, Miles, or Mozart depending on my mood.  Long listening sessions at work can't be fatiguing, but if I want to listen critically to some jazz at night - I don't want mud.  Sammy in an email described both the Solar and the Galaxy and how he described the sound leaves me still scratching my head a little.

Sammy described the Solar and Galaxy (Parenthesis are mine addition/interpretation)
  1. Galaxy good for classical, jazz, pop, rock, real music performance. (live)
  2. Solar good for metal, vocal, and it is very colorful of sound.  (warmer mids/bass ?)
  3. Galaxy resolution marks 98, Solar should be 83  (imaging is precise and detailed maybe more neutral ?) 

Great sounds like I need both, but I can't do that...

Head says Galaxy, heart says Solar.

Dan 

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #2,133 of 2,508
  I need some help. New to the high end iem market.  My old Westone 3s kicked the bucket and I am looking for a replacement.  I know quite a jump from Westone 3s to something new, but the Solar / Galaxy are peeking my interest.  I was looking at the Nobles and that research lead me here. 

About me - I played music in my youth so I have an appreciation for lots of different music from Classical to Heavy metal.  I listen at work and at night to relax - I could be Maiden, Miles, or Mozart depending on my mood.  Long listening sessions at work can't be fatiguing, but if I want to listen critically to some jazz at night - I don't want mud.  Sammy in an email described both the Solar and the Galaxy and how he described the sound leaves me still scratching my head a little.

Sammy described the Solar and Galaxy (Parenthesis are mine addition/interpretation)
  1. Galaxy good for classical, jazz, pop, rock, real music performance. (live)
  2. Solar good for metal, vocal, and it is very colorful of sound.  (warmer mids/bass ?)
  3. Galaxy resolution marks 98, Solar should be 83  (imaging is precise and detailed maybe more neutral ?) 

Dan 

Always follow the heart, but you gonna recheck again what your heart really want :p

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #2,134 of 2,508

• [COLOR=222222]Galaxy good for classical, jazz, pop, rock, real music performance. (live)[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR=222222]Solar good for metal, vocal, and it is very colorful of sound.  (warmer mids/bass ?)[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR=222222]Galaxy resolution marks 98, Solar should be 83[/COLOR]  (imaging is precise and detailed maybe more neutral ?) 

Dan 

Read back a few pages where I also posted some info Sammy gave to me concerning the two

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #2,135 of 2,508
Read back a few pages where I also posted some info Sammy gave to me concerning the two

This one: http://www.head-fi.org/t/703315/rhapsodio-an-overlooked-brand-of-nice-iems/2040#post_12291263

So reading that - it seems the only thing the Solar does better is "bass attack" which to me means bass punch - am I reading that correctly?

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #2,136 of 2,508
  This one: http://www.head-fi.org/t/703315/rhapsodio-an-overlooked-brand-of-nice-iems/2040#post_12291263

So reading that - it seems the only thing the Solar does better is "bass attack" which to me means bass punch - am I reading that correctly?

Yes, that one.  You're gonna have to have someone chime in who already has a galaxy to answer that question.   Sammy can get cryptic sometimes :)

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #2,137 of 2,508

Yes the Solar has more mid bass, it is very well controlled, but not as neutral as the Galaxy. Also the Galaxy bass is tighter and faster. Depends what you like.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #2,138 of 2,508
galaxy goes for 1600$, right ?

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #2,140 of 2,508

Yes the Solar has more mid bass, it is very well controlled, but not as neutral as the Galaxy. Also the Galaxy bass is tighter and faster. Depends what you like.

Thank you for the feedback.  I noticed that you sold your Solar to upgrade to the Galaxy and then got the Galaxy customs - is that correct?
Do you consider the bass on the Galaxy dry in any way?  One of the tests tracks I use is opening of "Chant" by Fourplay - the opening has the kettle drum and then then bass line.  On good systems they are distinct and placed correctly in the image - they don't overlap.  Same thing on the old Jennifer Warnes - Way Down Deep - the bass and the drums should be distinct instruments with the vocals placed correctly.  A more complex test is on my all time favorite album "Amused to Death" - Three Wishes - that is an extreme test of bass resolution and control.  That whole album is an imaging test.  The horse walking across the set or the door creaking open or the Ferrari driving past.  So when I say muddy I mean these tests are muddied together - when I say dry I mean the placement my be correct, but the bass is just not there as deep as it needs to be - the trick is to resolve it and make it deep too.

Dan

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #2,141 of 2,508
I believe Mims has the regular universal galaxy.

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #2,143 of 2,508
  Thank you for the feedback.  I noticed that you sold your Solar to upgrade to the Galaxy and then got the Galaxy customs - is that correct?
Do you consider the bass on the Galaxy dry in any way?  One of the tests tracks I use is opening of "Chant" by Fourplay - the opening has the kettle drum and then then bass line.  On good systems they are distinct and placed correctly in the image - they don't overlap.  Same thing on the old Jennifer Warnes - Way Down Deep - the bass and the drums should be distinct instruments with the vocals placed correctly.  A more complex test is on my all time favorite album "Amused to Death" - Three Wishes - that is an extreme test of bass resolution and control.  That whole album is an imaging test.  The horse walking across the set or the door creaking open or the Ferrari driving past.  So when I say muddy I mean these tests are muddied together - when I say dry I mean the placement my be correct, but the bass is just not there as deep as it needs to be - the trick is to resolve it and make it deep too.

Dan

I indeed own the universal. I tried the two first tracks, and I can perfectly distinguish bass vs. reverb of the drums. I am not sure if it could be better, as they do mesh together a bit, maybe they could be more separated depth wise, but it seems very good to me. Good tracks by the way.

As a caveat, I listened to youtube version straight out of my computer.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #2,144 of 2,508
Medium JVC Spiral dots arrived today, comfort is 10 out of 10, best fit yet, they as are very soft but have a firm hold .

Best tips I have tried so far on the Solar, bass has changed for the better as well, thanks to those who recommended these tips.
:thumbsup:

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #2,145 of 2,508
  I indeed own the universal. I tried the two first tracks, and I can perfectly distinguish bass vs. reverb of the drums. I am not sure if it could be better, as they do mesh together a bit, maybe they could be more separated depth wise, but it seems very good to me. Good tracks by the way.

As a caveat, I listened to youtube version straight out of my computer.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to those tracks.
I am now leaning toward the Galaxy.

Does anybody know how many Solar/Galaxy are in the States - did anybody have an apprehension of buying from such a small company?  Just concerned about warranty / repairs and long term value.  

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back